• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nomad

Very Well-Known
Set to be announced tonight. Gazumping the Champions League expansion?

UEFA are going to be fuming.

The Premier League have issued a statement condemning the proposals. So it's definitely on the brink.

Liverpool
Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Spurs

Are definitely named.. City are expected to back it too.

I'm not too bothered. UEFA and FIFA lost any power when CAS ruled against them in the City case.

UEFA will ban teams from the European comps, so that will be a major obstacle for this to happen.
Lets hope it doesnt, as it will be the end of football.

Is it just a negotiating tactic to get more say in the proposed changes to the Champions League?
I'd say an issue for English teams is that the league is so competitive there is no guarantees that they will always qualify.
In the current proposals the two highest ranked teams in Europe not to qualify via their league positions get invited in.
That would mean that in this current season Chelsea and Liverpool would not have to finish in the top four to be in next season's competition.
I thought that the "big clubs" were pushing for more exemptions for automatic qualification to safe guard their participation.

UEFA will ban teams from the European comps, so that will be a major obstacle for this to happen.
Lets hope it doesnt, as it will be the end of football.
Football has been dead for a while in most leagues. The same 2/3 teams win the league each year.

The top teams aren't happy with UEFAs proposals for expansion. UEFA were pushing ahead anyway for money. So these clubs have basically said fuck you UEFA.

I reckon a huge number of people will share that reaction. This could end up bursting football's bubble completely.

I'm joining Hal and Tom Brown.

With the imminent death of SCM it all seems quite fitting.

It does feel like this is a real Kerry Packers type moment.

UEFA and FIFA need to reform, if this is the way to do it. Fuck em. All this threat of 'you cant play in the world cup'. It doesn't sit right with me those threats.

Who blinks first by the looks of it.

You would imagine the existing establishment of FAs hold all the cards by banning these clubs from their domestic leagues and international football.

But it's a hollow threat because the money would dry up if the Premier League carries on with the likes of Luton and Millwall etc replacing Liverpool and Man United. And what if the super league retaliates by setting up its own domestic leagues and inviting Everton, Leeds, Villa etc with the promise of big money?

The money will be the deciding factor whichever way this goes

From what I understand of it (which isn’t much, admittedly) I can’t say I particularly like the idea. However, it’s a situation without good guys really isn’t it?

Yes the clubs are being greedy, but the FA, UEFA, FIFA etc are all just as self-serving and just as greedy, so it’s hard to have a huge amount of sympathy for them either.

Wasn’t the premier league a break away league ?
I’m not for it myself but it’s nice of Gary to be particularly vocal about it with his own investment in mind...

So anyway, assume the initial idea is that this would replace current UEFA competitions but if the domestic leagues end up kicking them out for doing that then the clubs would assume back down or be back in a year or two when the whole thing has run out of JP Morgan money. Right now it’s all a big load of bollocks without fans and over use of VAR anyway.

We should just pretend to leave and pull out last minute, let all the big clubs leave and just rack up more premier league and champion leagues titles while they are away on their super league adventure. Massive fish in a small pond. That’s what city and Chelsea have been doing with all the clever accounting all these years anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom