• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

English Cricket/ *The Ashes*!

Prior gets his century, almost a run a ball...and his reward is Monty coming out to clean his helmet.

:)

Colly's retired from test cricket, fair play been playing poor for a while and decided to step aside and give someone else the chance.

Nice to see him go out like that rather than be cast aside ungracefully.

The finest fielder i've ever seen.

The Pommies must be well chuffed with the slaughter by Cook, Bell & Prior. Happy New year indeed.

I'm amazed he stuck around the Test side as long as he has, especially as we've got 'ruthless selectors' who won't batter an eye lid at dropping our leading wicket taker in a Test Series, but he's been a great one day Captain, and may he continue to be so.

Fair play to him stepping aside.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1243579#msg1243579 date=1294250641]
yeah but this Indian batting line up does indeed have form for scoring 350 runs in a day on a regular basis all around the world - so it is definitely not improbable or impossible. It is just a monumental ask....
[/quote]

Without a century from Sehwag I dont see it happening.

I have a sneaky feeling that England deliberately lost at Perth to get the huge crowd at Melbourne for a higher pay day?

That's way too cynical.

But ya, i have never seen a limp-dick performance on this scale from Australia before.

[quote author=peekay link=topic=41229.msg1244533#msg1244533 date=1294289230]
[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1243579#msg1243579 date=1294250641]
yeah but this Indian batting line up does indeed have form for scoring 350 runs in a day on a regular basis all around the world - so it is definitely not improbable or impossible. It is just a monumental ask....
[/quote]

Without a century from Sehwag I dont see it happening.
[/quote]

Me neither. Pujara is not known for scoring at a high pace even in domestic cricket. India's usual number 6 is Yuvraj or Raina and before them it was Ganguly, and they could all really attack - while Pujara is the better test batsman than the three of them combined, i would say he is not really suited for this situation. India needs big efforts from Sehwag and Dhoni to make an attempt at winning. If Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Pujara decide to shut-up shop, i think they can surely bat the day out and get the draw....but you never know with Steyn in this form.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1244539#msg1244539 date=1294293352]
That's way too cynical.

But ya, i have never seen a limp-dick performance on this scale from Australia before.
[/quote]

Perth was way too much of an aberration given the state of Australian play in Melbourne and now Sydney!

Finally, another wicket ... 106-2 after 49 overs ... Tsotsobe gets Dravid out for 31.

I guess 40-45 more overs to go to get 8 wickets ... Get Sachin out quickly, and maybe it's possible.

Unless Indian batsmen do something stupid, this is petering out to a draw.

It's a shame really... this test deserved a result. The bowlers and batsmen have played their heart out. It has been Cricket of the highest quality.

I'm going to blame the Captains. Both gave away too many cheap singles when Kallis or Tendulkar were batting with the tail. Dhoni didn't attack sufficiently or use his resources fully after South Africa were 6 down at 150 in the second dig or 7 down at 220. To concede 350 from there is a bit poor. Smith was scared to declare at a more enterprising score, and waited till they were bowled out. They should have shown their aggression and intent by making a declaration around the 300 run mark rather than stupidly trying to sledge the batsmen into playing rash shots. Too much safety first Cricket in the last 6 sessions. 340 in 90 overs is a bit too much, India rightly decided to shut up shop. If Sehwag didn't get out cheaply they may have been a little bit more ambitious.

Gone or the days of attacking captaincy from Waugh, Michael Vaughan, Steven Flemming and Ganguly. Too many defensive Captains going around in international Cricket at this moment.

I guess India will be the happier side with a drawn series. 8 wickets in 34 overs? Seems a bit too tough...but the pitch has indeed become quite dodgy with variable bounce, so may be there is still hope for South Africa.

Na...if SA had a better spinner, there may have been a chance.

Harris is never going to be effective enough to be relied on to get Tendulkar, Laxman etc out. Never.

3 more overs for the new ball. If Steyn and Morkel don't get a wicket in the first 5 overs of the new ball, i think they will call it off and take the draw.

I've decided to start watching cricket, as footballers are cunts that I hate.

I should probably have started when the Ashes begun rather than when it finished :(

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=41229.msg1245003#msg1245003 date=1294326420]
I've decided to start watching cricket, as footballers are cunts that I hate.

I should probably have started when the Ashes begun rather than when it finished :(
[/quote]

I am happy to say last night I had a decision to make after work, watch the football and a bit of the ashes or have a nap and watch most of the ashes.

I am definately happy with my decision, tonight should be over by about 1.30am so that should be ok.
Still plenty of cricket left SG, one dayers and T20 in Australia and then the world cup bout six weeks after that.

Game called off. Series drawn in South Africa.

We could have had a better final day if the Captains had some balls.

Highest number of runs scored in a day in this test is 289 on the 4th day by SA. 340 is a ridiculous bait. Smith should have declared at 300 for 8 to make a game out of it. Instead he waited to be bowled out for 341. India didn't think that was chase-able and proceeded to just play 82 overs of defense and ended the day with a comfortable 166/3 playing for the draw.

I'm just hugely unimpressed about this whole scenario. Dhoni let the possibility of a first ever series victory in SA escape from his grasp on the 4th day. Smith failed to show faith in his bowlers to protect 300 runs on a 5th day pitch and lost the chance to win the test and also the chance to prove his pre-series claim that SA are the real number one team and India was just warming the seat for them.

But both teams played hard, and a series loss would have been very hard on either team...so i guess you can't complain on the end result.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1245044#msg1245044 date=1294328651]
Game called off. Series drawn in South Africa.

We could have had a better final day if the Captains had some balls.

Highest number of runs scored in a day in this test is 289 on the 4th day by SA. 340 is a ridiculous bait. Smith should have declared at 300 for 8 to make a game out of it. Instead he waited to be bowled out for 341. India didn't think that was chase-able and proceeded to just play 82 overs of defense and ended the day with a comfortable 166/3 playing for the draw.

I'm just hugely unimpressed about this whole scenario. Dhoni let the possibility of a first ever series victory in SA escape from his grasp on the 4th day. Smith failed to show faith in his bowlers to protect 300 runs on a 5th day pitch and lost the chance to win the test and also the chance to prove his pre-series claim that SA are the real number one team and India was just warming the seat for them.

But both teams played hard, and a series loss would have been very hard on either team...so i guess you can't complain on the end result.
[/quote]

Great series. But a bit disappointed with the safety first approach which Dhoni adopted in the field settings in the entire game.

The reason South Africa are not the number 1 team right now...

PL Harris 30 19 29 0 0.96

I'm eager to see how Imran Tahir will perform. He may just be the guy to take South Africa to the next level....

If not for that, i think South Africa have the better team overall. India shades the batting, but South Africa wipes the floor on India when it comes to bowling. Except India have Harbhajan who can get 7 wickets on a day when it's conducive for spin bowling, and South Africa have Harris who can't take any wickets with 7 players surrounding the bat for 30 overs on a wicket that offered turn and inconsistent bounce for spinners.

superb cricket from England again. I will watch it tonight so hopefully done in the first hour.

I think it will be interesting to see in the summer who the 1st choice bowlers are. Will Finn and Broad walk straight back in?

I could watch the Johnson wicket Tremlett got all day, loved the commentary from bumble and Nass and the crowd were amazing

[quote author=Fox link=topic=41229.msg1245164#msg1245164 date=1294335740]
superb cricket from England again. I will watch it tonight so hopefully done in the first hour.

I think it will be interesting to see in the summer who the 1st choice bowlers are. Will Finn and Broad walk straight back in?

I could watch the Johnson wicket Tremlett got all day, loved the commentary from bumble and Nass and the crowd were amazing

[/quote]

Is there a youtube clip of this?

I stopped following ashes completely after the first innings of the 4th test.

[quote author=kingjulian link=topic=41229.msg1245170#msg1245170 date=1294336007]
[quote author=Fox link=topic=41229.msg1245164#msg1245164 date=1294335740]

[/quote]

Is there a youtube clip of this?

I stopped following ashes completely after the first innings of the 4th test.
[/quote]

Session by session highlights of all five series. Enjoy!

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/england-in-australia-2010-11/ashes-highlights/

Three innings plus victories, it might not be 5-0 but its a huge win.
Aussies were not that good but England have been amazing throughout and each player stood up and was counted included players like Tremlett and Bresnan who have come into the team and performed.

Pity, bar the brilliant McGrath, all of the spineless Aussies haven't turned up for the final day. From the supporters, to the players, to the captain (and vice captain) and finally not to have a fucking Aussie present the Ashes to England. Shocking.

It's funny how, whenever any international team of any sport goes through a bad spell, the national newspapers start diagnosing the fundamental reasons for the decline and lots of bollocks is written.

Some voices in the Australian media are apparently saying that England has an advantage over Australia, because our County Championship gives English players much more practice than the Aussie players get with their Sheffield Shield, which I think is basically a knockout competition.

I find this richly ironic, because when the Aussie bastards were knocking the stuffing out of England, the Australian newspapers said that it was because their Sheffield Shield was much more competitive than our County Championship. ;D

Back
Top Bottom