1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Depression

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Dylan, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FoxForceFive

FoxForceFive Administrator Administrator

Yes.

2. Athens

Athens Greatest Bloke Ever [Citation Needed] Member

If you're depressed you should just remind yourself that you could still be living in Larne.

That should cheer you up no end.

StevieM likes this.
  3. Portly

Portly Top quality gammon. Member

When you are depressed, nothing anybody may say to you will make any difference to the way you are feeling. However, I offer this advice: See a doctor. Don't be afraid of antidepressants - they work well although they take a couple of weeks to kick in. Stop taking the antidepressants when you feel you can cope without them.

StevieM and Spionkop69 like this.
  4. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

This is kind of where I am at the minute.

I started back on some mild antidepressants about 3 weeks ago in order to try and regulate the more frequent darker moods that had creeped back in to my life.

First few weeks kicked me about a bit and I'm still having sleep issues, but my moods have been better regulated of late.

Relationship breakups, alcohol and isolation tend to bring the darker things to the fore, which makes self-reconstruction a little more challenging, so I'm hoping the Zoloft helps to give me better chance to ease through the process.

If that makes sense?

5. Portly

Portly Top quality gammon. Member

Makes sense to me Stevie. Many people think that antidepressants are the same thing as "tranquillisers" but they are very different. They work on your mind in a subtle way which gives you a kind of immunity to misery. As I said, they take some time to kick in. Many people keep taking them when they don't need them any more, so it's important to pack them in when you feel ready to and your doctor agrees.

6. C/O

C/O Well-Known Member

I wish I could give you some advice or a nice story, but I'm not in the position to as I've not had to deal with it.

I do want to say fair play to you for reaching out though, I'm sure you'll find the help you're looking for on here, despite there being so many undesirables about.

Good luck, brother.

StevieM likes this.
  7. StevieM

Yep - I took them for a while a number of years back, but packed them in once circumstances changed - so plan to do the same this time, I guess.

8. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

Stevie - Not that I'm advocating that a beer and a laugh (not guaranteed) as some form of prescription for what seems like a cunt of an illness, but if you ever want a chat and a pint mate I'll be there in a shot.

Been too long since we caught up properly anyway.

It sounds like the gayest of all fucking things to have to go through, and I'll be zero cure for you mate, but I'm here and always will be.

Take care pal.

StevieM likes this.
  9. StevieM

I think I've probably dealt with depression, albeit a mild version, most of my life - generally manifests as "down moods", sense of hopelessness and in some cases anxiety/panic/nervousness. It usually causes me to withdraw into myself a little, which is where things spiral away in the the wrong direction.

Throw in ridiculously easy access to pretty much unlimited alcohol, a very limited support network of friends/family and a bit of a solitary existence - and it makes for a bit of a challenge when the head isn't in the right place.

10. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

Pfft, you could have just said 'na, I'd rather not Ryan'.

StevieM likes this.
  11. StevieM

Sorry mate - I was typing that as you posted and missed it.

It is long past time we caught up for beer - should have a Saturday free once copa America finishes.

12. Ryan

Ryan The Prophet Member

Done.

:beersmileything:

13. the count

the count SCM's least favourite muppet Honorary Member

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time of it at the moment mate.
    At least by having a beer with Stevie should show that maybe your life isn't so bad after all.
    ;)

StevieM likes this.
  14. singlerider

singlerider Throbbing Member Member

Well, the black dog is back again. After so many years, I can't say it's been missed.

It's kind of weird for me, because whereas in the past I've always been in a position where my life is okay and therefore I had little 'reason' to be depressed, but I was, now for a change I've actually got shit to complain about.

And I guess it's hard, because all of the coping strategies that I've developed have been centred around moderating that internal dialogue and maintaining a healthy relationship with myself, to ward off those feelings of self-loathing and self-hatred. Now I find myself in a position where I feel okay about myself, but basically most of the things in my life are pretty shitty, and there's nothing to be done about them.

What do you do when actually you've got a reason to be depressed? Just be depressed until it all blows over?

I dunno man, it's weird

15. FoxForceFive

FoxForceFive Administrator Administrator

It's different for those of us who suffer depression though. People who don't will have genuine reasons to get down, or grieve, or panic over shitty decisions they've made, but they can compartmentalise them or deal with them & move on relatively quickly. We get that initial reaction, then fall unto depression because our brai chemistry works differently.

I get depressed around this time of year & I know it's because the days are grey & cloudy & I miss the sun, waking up to the sun makes a massive difference in my mood & when it goes after a few days I end up depressed.

That's a shitty, minor reason, but it spirals & ends up having the same effect as if I was grieving for someone or facing a mountain of debt I couldn't pay.

I try to deal with it the same way regardless of the trigger. Talking to people who understand, trying to explain to people I interact with why I may be not quite myself, forcing myself to walk outside a bit more & do some exercise, drink a bit more water, eat some more fruit regularly, even buying sunflower seeds to snack on (they increase serotonin in the brain & improve the effectiveness of neuro transmitters) these are all small things but the combination of them altogether helps massively, & the routine of making these small changes probably plays no small part in it either.

If the trigger for the depression (it's not the reason you're depressed remember, that's your brain chemistry being out of whack, easy to forget that when the big dog is sitting on your chest), is something that you should or can deal with, then try to. Write down what you can or might do, find someone to discuss it with & take action. If it's something out of your control, talk to someone about it anyway, it always helps.

That plus even some of the other small changes above puts you on the road to lifting your mood. There's no simple answer though mate, you know that as well as I do. You just give your brain the best chance of recovery & try to deal with the trigger anyway you can as soon as you're able.

If it's really bad, there's no shame in taking anti depressants, there's a reason they exist & it's to help you get to a place where you can help yourself.

Much love mate, you ever need anyone ro talk to then let me know. X

16. Red Astaire

Red Astaire Member Of 'The Toilets At The Harry Fan Club.. Member

Speaking as someone who is very familiar with the black dog and all it's 'barks' - Try not to wallow in the mire. I always did and it led me to become a booze jockey (albeit one who is happily 18 months sober.... sort of ;))

Laugh at the little things and just reach out. Depression is an illness that everyone I have met can relate to. I know it sucks but your post and my answer is proof that there are people out there that 'get it' - Stay sound man X

17. Woland

Woland Part of the Furniture Member

Been a bit fucked myself lately. My method is walking the dogs and going the gym a lot with spotify algorithms playing the soundtrack until it passes.

If you haven't got a dog I prescribe you one.

SummerOnions likes this.
  18. SummerOnions

SummerOnions Let's Push Things Forward Administrator

Hope it all works out dude. I'm in one of them mild phases at the mo which is OK. I've been much worse so I'm trying to use it as a comparison to feel better.

I totally second the animal thing. A new housemate moved in with a cat and he's fucking ace.

Try to preoccupy yourself with anything and everything. When I'm too busy to breakdown I only panic in fits and breaks and when I'm occasionally free I can deal with it more cos its kinda nice.

Oh, and find a new team to support it might help haha x

19. Athens

Athens Greatest Bloke Ever [Citation Needed] Member

Is there a connection between all these bouts of depression and results on the pitch?

20. Oncy

Oncy Guest

Or just Liverpool fandom in general.