• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Defending the Indefensible

bluebell

Well-Known
The case is if it weren't for the heroics of our GKs we could be where Man U are.
Do we need the same surgery to our back line as our MF?
I think it has to be looked at. Yes, it's easy to be reactionary, but it's not quite worked at the back. God knows how many times I've seen them make a wayward pass that could have cost us.

We need new fullbacks.

Going back to a traditional back 4 will help massively, then get fullbacks who aren't prone to leaving space in behind and know how to get tight to their man.

People want to only make it about the attack but you can't concede 10 more goals than the team top and declare yourself as champions. Champions grind out 1-0 wins, we've done that like once this season. No clean sheets in our last 9 games.

I believe that we, the supporter have over the past season or so put up we good players in Midfield and Defence be cuase we had a great forward in Salah which would often cancel out our frailties elsewhere, and work horses like Henderson.
Not with Salah's poor form, and Henderson no longer at the Club we have to Look at who we have bought in and that lack of quaility in both midfield and defence...
Although Konate and Quansah are two future great talents they are not now. We should be looking at a real Quaility CB, and start by selling Joe Gomezo to fund him.
We also need a LB, Let buy Alphonso Davis from bayern and offer Robbo as part of the deal.

Our Midfield... At time we lack creativity, and players that drive at defenders...We need a DM, at true num 6... And AM
Players that can feed the frontline, drive at a defence, take players on.
We tend to slow it down too much, and act as if controlling the game even when behind wins us game. The midfield we have do not really helps our forwads
So we should improve the medfielders first and then the defencive line

Ali

Robbo
VVD
New CB (Diamonde?)
Bradley/TAA (rotate depending on game)

New DM (Ugarte?)
Mac Alister
Jones/Elliott/Jones/Gravy

New LW ()
New CF (Isak? Watkins? Toney?)
New RW (Bowen/Kudus?)

Diaz, Jota, Gakpo, Konate, Keheller, Endo good rotation players. Keep youngsters. Everyone else can be sold to get better back up players.

Obviously won't happen in the summer. But that's the surgery needed to challenge.

Last edited:
Ali

Robbo
VVD
New CB (Diamonde?)
Bradley/TAA (rotate depending on game)

New DM (Ugarte?)
Mac Alister
Jones/Elliott/Jones/Gravy

New LW ()
New CF (Isak? Watkins? Toney?)
New RW (Bowen/Kudus?)

Diaz, Jota, Gakpo, Konate, Keheller, Endo good rotation players. Keep youngsters. Everyone else can be sold to get better back up players.

Obviously won't happen in the summer. But that's the surgery needed to challenge.

I think you underestimate where we are because we’ve challenged already.

The surgery we need is to take us to winning the big trophies

I think you underestimate where we are because we’ve challenged already.

The surgery we need is to take us to winning the big trophies
Underestimate? As in, we are better than where we are?

Or overestimate, as in, we are worse than where I think we are?

I’ve defended Konate since we’ve signed him but I’ve changed to the thinking he can’t be trusted. First with injuries and secondly with him not giving silly little fouls one straight after another. Even after these years under Klopp he hasn’t learnt a thing. He just tries to muscle everyone rather than use his natural physique better.

I’d jib off Gomez too. He had a good spell at left back but if we needed someone longer term he just turns into a liability. And the whole shoot thing is a joke.

We need a first choice left back and move Robbo into a secondary role. That means the Tsimikas train has reached the end of the line.

New manager, unproven in the big leagues.
Our big big players have gone or are going. Bring on Liverpool 3.0

In about three seasons from now. Unless this guy has one hell of a personality and can reality unite a team and fast. It’s not even about tactics for the foreseeable

Did anybody notice that the cross that Antonio headed for WH 2nd goal was because Ryan didn't challenge WH player who crossed the ball. He casually tracked back. I am troubled by the attitude he displayed there. It appears he did not really care any more and I cant figure out why.
Who is to blame for the many goals we are conceding, Van Dijk is our main CB so he is much to blame as are the other defenders.
Is there a possibility that with Van Dijk as captain and influential, the Dutch players don't really give a damn. And with the Dutch coach coming in, I can't see him kicking Dutch players out, as I feel that's the beginning of the change he has to make.
It seems like Klopp has been losing the dressing room for some time now. There could more to Klopp's leaving than what we know so far.

Did anybody notice that the cross that Antonio headed for WH 2nd goal was because Ryan didn't challenge WH player who crossed the ball. He casually tracked back. I am troubled by the attitude he displayed there. It appears he did not really care any more and I cant figure out why.
Who is to blame for the many goals we are conceding, Van Dijk is our main CB so he is much to blame as are the other defenders.
Is there a possibility that with Van Dijk as captain and influential, the Dutch players don't really give a damn. And with the Dutch coach coming in, I can't see him kicking Dutch players out, as I feel that's the beginning of the change he has to make.
It seems like Klopp has been losing the dressing room for some time now. There could more to Klopp's leaving than what we know so far.
The second goal came because of two things. First, Ali not making the simple catch. The second was Diaz having nothing left to stop the cross despite Robbo’s instructions.

Did anybody notice that the cross that Antonio headed for WH 2nd goal was because Ryan didn't challenge WH player who crossed the ball.
I have no idea what Robbo was doing for either goal. He was the player nearest to the crosser on both occasions. The short corner he’s signalling to someone further away to come deeper when he should just get out the the guy himself. The 2nd one he just backs off Bowen for some reason when there was no need as there was no runner peeling off the back of him. Very naive defensive positioning for someone so experienced.

Lets not get all fucking stupid here - we’ve conceded 4 more goals than City, having played one game more and 10 more than Arsenal.

We don’t need to sell every bloody defender on the books and start from scratch - 1 x CB plus a bit of a tactical tweak and we’re fine.

Good news for you all - Slot likes his FBs to defend and while he likes to see them invert into midfield - he doesn’t expect them to be the primary creative outlet or create the width - he prefers them to be more compact.

That little tweak will make us harder to score against.

Last edited:
If we were offered 40m it should be a no-brainer. But we won't
No way anyone is offering £40m for Robbo, may be last summer you could have got £40m but right now, you'd struggle to get £20m. He is 30 years old and showing signs of wear and tear
We do need to look at our defence as its riddled with errors, VVD hasn't been faultless. Konate and Jota I said should be sold due to how often they get injured and disrupt the momentum. I think Konate is worth £70m and if PSG is offering that, good bye.
Robertson, cannot be 1st choice, but with Salah likely to leave and Diaz's dad whoring his son off to Barca despite what the club did. I know someone who knows the Columbian Ambassador in London, Diaz nor his father has shown any appreciation or thanks (not even a phone call to say thank you) for the work the office did to get his father released. I am told the Ambassador did alot to make sure his father was released.
I don't think we are going to go big on any players £40-50m range
Out going
Diaz
Salah
Matip
Tsimikas
Adrian
Thiago

Incoming
Frimpong
Timbers
Crysencio Summerville
Tosin Adarabioyo
Tyrick Mitchell and/or Alfie Doughty

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vdY2zSFUc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFxiXv4HFs

No way we should be selling Diaz .. and it seems he is a perfect Slot player so you can double down on that.

No way we should be selling Diaz .. and it seems he is a perfect Slot player so you can double down on that.
If he can't tell his father to STFU who is seems to want to pimp out his service to Barca, why should the club keep him?

If he can't tell his father to STFU who is seems to want to pimp out his service to Barca, why should the club keep him?
Because his father isn't the one playing football. We do what is best for us, the club, not the player or the father.

Is absolutely correct - unless Diaz wants to go - he is the least likeliest of our forwards that Slot will want to sell.

I really suggest people go and watch some of the multitude of videos floating around about how Slot likes to set up a team.

Here’s the short version :

- very like Klopp, but designed to control rather than disrupt or create chaos.
- he plays a 433, but can drop into a 4231 when they he wants to be more solid
- he likes control
- forget any dreams about attacking full backs getting him up the pitch - not happening - forget Frimpong and/or Davies as FBs.
- get used to seeing inverted FB’s - they’re staying.
- the single pivot DM is there to progress the ball - get used to seeing Mac Allistar there regularly, although I suspect this is a role we may look to dip into the transfer market for.
- the 2 midfielders will have defensive responsibilities but also freedom to attack more as the FB’s will be holding back to defend.
- Diaz & Salah are ideal wide forwards for Slot’s system.
- Nunez is the forward that’s most likely toast.

I really suggest people go and watch some of the multitude of videos floating around about how Slot likes to set up a team.

Here’s the short version :

- very like Klopp, but designed to control rather than disrupt or create chaos.
- he plays a 433, but can drop into a 4231 when they he wants to be more solid
- he likes control
- forget any dreams about attacking full backs getting him up the pitch - not happening - forget Frimpong and/or Davies as FBs.
- get used to seeing inverted FB’s - they’re staying.
- the single pivot DM is there to progress the ball - get used to seeing Mac Allistar there regularly, although I suspect this is a role we may look to dip into the transfer market for.
- the 2 midfielders will have defensive responsibilities but also freedom to attack more as the FB’s will be holding back to defend.
- Diaz & Salah are ideal wide forwards for Slot’s system.
- Nunez is the forward that’s most likely toast.
Get ready for huge inefficiencies in front of goal.

If it's a like for like managerial appointment, but substituting in defensive stability for memorable press conferences, I'm all for it

But damn, I cannot take his name seriously

I do wonder why the the back line fell off so dramatically. Is it the fact we rarely played wit ha consistent back 5? or are people just not up to snuff when it comes to defending? We always have the concerns with trent, ibou is patchy, quansah is learning, gomez has done well but has it in his locker to fuck up, robbo never seemed fully fit, tsimi needs a run of games to get up to speed, bradleys job is to bomb on....

Is it the fact we've had 1 dm helping a back 3 as either trent or bradley is out of position? everyone gets in each others way? Most goals seem to come from cut backs where no one is watching the edge of the box run, or misjudging crosses. We seem to have just lot the knack for it

I do wonder why the the back line fell off so dramatically. Is it the fact we rarely played wit ha consistent back 5? or are people just not up to snuff when it comes to defending? We always have the concerns with trent, ibou is patchy, quansah is learning, gomez has done well but has it in his locker to fuck up, robbo never seemed fully fit, tsimi needs a run of games to get up to speed, bradleys job is to bomb on....

Is it the fact we've had 1 dm helping a back 3 as either trent or bradley is out of position? everyone gets in each others way? Most goals seem to come from cut backs where no one is watching the edge of the box run, or misjudging crosses. We seem to have just lot the knack for it
I’d put a lot down to tactics. It is so easy to get the ball into our own channels then overload the edge of the box or pen spot ready for a strike at goal.

Back
Top Bottom