• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Comeback Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Six games.

Four times we’ve come from behind win either 2-1 or 3-1.

Are the mentality monsters back?

Or are we still too fragile at the back and just now have enough fire power and midfield running power to overturn it.
Or are we just slow starters?

Makes you wonder how much of the mentality monsters title belonged to the opposition. Obviously the team created it, but did we get to the point where the opposition were half defeated before they stepped on the pitch? Then when we weakened we lost the aura, is it now being rebuilt?

Might be a load of nonsense but i definitely don’t want any comeback kings title to be permanent, hopefully comebacks form a minor part of mentality monsters 2.0

In the league, we are 7th in terms of avg. time spent trailing in matches

Burnley 59.2%
Luton 56.9%
Aston Villa 45.8%
Bournemouth 40.2%
Man Utd 35.8%
Sheff Utd 28.9%
Liverpool 28.7%

In comparison: Arsenal 15.6%, Man City 2.2%

avg.jpg
scored1.jpg

Makes you wonder how much of the mentality monsters title belonged to the opposition. Obviously the team created it, but did we get to the point where the opposition were half defeated before they stepped on the pitch? Then when we weakened we lost the aura, is it now being rebuilt?

Might be a load of nonsense but i definitely don’t want any comeback kings title to be permanent, hopefully comebacks form a minor part of mentality monsters 2.0
Roy Keane always talked about it when referring to all bar a couple of teams (us being one of them) being defeated in their own heads before walking out at OT.

It might work against Lask and Bournemouth, but it's not gonna work against the top teams I fear. We can't keep starting games by conceding goals.

It might work against Lask and Bournemouth, but it's not gonna work against the top teams I fear. We can't keep starting games by conceding goals.
True but last season we’d have lost or drawn the majority and it also means if you so concede first against a top side we are less likely to throw in the towel.

True but last season we’d have lost or drawn the majority and it also means if you so concede first against a top side we are less likely to throw in the towel.
Yeah but they're also better at defending the lead and might hurt us again while we're trying to get back into the game.

Our comeback against Wolves came in a large part due to a tactical change of replacing MacAllister at #6 with a double-pivot of Szoboszlai and Jones, which allowed us to crowd the attacking spaces with 4 forwards and quickly turned the game around. This got me thinking – could a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-2-2 system be viable from the start?

Let's imagine a double pivot consisting of Szoboszlai and either Gravenberch or MacAllister (with Trent or Bajcetic drifting in from RB to add another screener against counter-attacks). This would allow Klopp to field 4 forwards with Gakpo or Jota playing off Nunez in the middle and Salah and Diaz creating from the wings (Elliott would be part of this attacking mix too). As I said before, I would love to see Diaz cut or drift inside as much as possible, which means a LB – probably Robbo – would also need to be actively shuffling forward. Against a deep defending team, this would result in something like this structure:

---------Gakpo/Jota-----Nunez------------
-----Diaz------------------------------Salah-
Robbo----Gravy/Mac--Szobo---Trent--
--------------Van Dijk------Konate---------

The advantage of a Szobo/Gravy partnership in midfield will be that they are both powerful and athletic runners and thus could be counted on to track back when needed to snuff out a counter-attack (remains to be seen with Gravenberch if he will be diligent enough to do that on a regular basis, but this is exactly what Klopp will be working on with him). So if one of the full-backs stays "home" while the other attacks, we will rarely be outnumbered at the back whenever the opposition tires to counter and the whole system resembles the way Man City now defend, only with more speed in the middle. Who needs a #6 anyway? :) (With Macca or Endo or even Thiago in this position instead of Gravenberch, there would be less mobility, so that would mean they mostly sit and Szobo is the one who gets to roam – that could also work in many games.)

Frankly, I don't see any huge downsides with this formation. Having an extra attacker from the start will force more teams to defend deep and we could see some additional chemistry developing between Gakpo/Jota/Diaz and Nunez which will help everyone. The job of snuffing out opposition counters will be more of a collective affair, as it should be, rather than relying on one superman DM to clean up everything. I like having Bajcetic as a defensive back-up to Trent; having him or Gomez as a defensive option would help shore up our right flank if we're having too much trouble there – but plan A is to force the opposition to retreat into a defensive crouch because our attacking threats are just too powerful to ignore.

Last edited:
Our comeback against Wolves came in a large part due to a tactical change of replacing MacAllister at #6 with a double-pivot of Szoboszlai and Jones, which allowed us to crowd the attacking spaces with 4 forwards and quickly turned the game around. This got me thinking – could a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-2-2 system be viable from the start?

Let's imagine a double pivot of consisting of Szoboszlai and either Gravenberch or MacAllister (with Trent or Bajcetic drifting in from RB to add another screener against counter-attacks). This would allow Klopp to field 4 forwards with Gakpo or Jota playing off Nunez in the middle and Salah and Diaz creating from the wings (Elliott would be part of this attacking mix too). As I said before, I would love to see Diaz cut or drift inside as much as possible, which means a LB – probably Robbo – would also need to be actively shuffling forward. Against a deep defending team, this would result in something like this structure:

---------Gakpo/Jota-----Nunez------------
-----Diaz------------------------------Salah-
Robbo----Gravy/Mac--Szobo---Trent--
--------------Van Dijk------Konate---------

The advantage of a Szobo/Gravy partnership in midfield will be that they are both powerful and athletic runners and thus could be counted on to track back when needed to snuff out a counter-attack (remains to be seen with Gravenberch if he will be diligent enough to do that on a regular basis, but this is exactly what Klopp will be working on with him). So if one of the full-backs stays "home" while the other attacks, we will rarely be outnumbered at the back whenever the opposition tires to counter and the whole system resembles the way Man City now defend, only with more speed in the middle. Who needs a #6 anyway? :) (With Macca or Endo or even Thiago in this position instead of Gravenberch, there would be less mobility, so that would mean they mostly sit and Szobo is the one who gets to roam – that could also work in many games.)

Frankly, I don't see any huge downsides with this formation. Having an extra attacker from the start will force more teams to defend deep and we could see some additional chemistry developing between Gakpo/Jota/Diaz and Nunez which will help everyone. The job of snuffing out opposition counters will be more of a collective affair, as it should be, rather than relying on one superman DM to clean up everything. I like having Bajcetic as a defensive back-up to Trent; having him or Gomez as a defensive option would help shore up our right flank if we're having too much trouble there – but plan A is to force the opposition to retreat into a defensive crouch because our attacking threats are just too powerful to ignore.
I like it. But ... Klopp has said many times that the formation varies often throughout a match, we will play at the very least two (as all teams do, when attacking and defending) but Klopp has said as many as 5 during the 90 mins. We are probably one of the most transitory teams in the PL, though it takes a lot of IQ to be able to do this effectively.

Nah of course we’ll go behind and stay behind plenty of times this season but still a good trait to be cultivating with a new group.

Nah of course we’ll go behind and stay behind plenty of times this season but still a good trait to be cultivating with a new group.
I would say it also breeds confidence, knowing that you are more than capable of coming back when going behind. Still, not something we would like to happen too frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom