• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Combined 11 of 88 and 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
For most of us it will be difficult to compare - we were either not born or just too young. For those who experienced it or had elders telling about the team, which is better?

Hansen, Barnes, Beardsley & McMahon would walk into a combined team - you could make a case for Molby,

Allison, Trent, Robbo, Van Dyke, Fabs & Salah would slot in the opposite way round.

That last midfielder position - if your backbone is McMahon & Fabs - is the only tricky imho - Molby, Whelan, Gini or Hendo - but the best midfield 3, imho, we could have had operated under neither Dalglish nor Klopp - Souness, Gerrard & Alonso.

Grobs, Lawro, Nicol, Mane, Rush and two of whatever of those CM’s didn’t make the first team central midfielders make up the bench (if we’re allowed 7).

I’d probably go for Molby and his passing ability to start with Whelan & Gini on the bench and Hendo Modo’d.

What complicates the choice is that the 1988 version of a number of those players might not make the cut whereas their best, earlier versions definitely would. I'm thinking principally of the King and Rushy, who in their prime would HAVE to play up front. Virgil's so toweringly good that I guess he has to be in there now, but Lawrenson was such an outstanding partner for Jocky that the choice would still be far from easy.

BTW there's no way Trent gets in at RB ahead of Stevie Nicol, who was equally good going forward and - thus far at any rate - unquestionably the better defender.

That's very tough. The two teams played such different styles of football, it would be very hard to blend them.

If forced to, for me, Ali, VVD, Jockey and Digger are the only shoe-ins... Every other position is up for grabs.

The back five is relatively easy for me... Ali. Nicol. Jockey (c). VVD. Robbo. And that leaves out Lawrenson, genuinely one of our greatest ever footballers.

Then it gets mental... Fabs is the best holding midfielder in the game right now, but there were no flies on Ronnie Whelan when he adopted that deep-lying CM role either. Macca was brilliant too, and Beardsley, Digger and Also were as feared back then as Sadio, Mo and Bobby are today. And Hendo and Gini are also modern day legends who could play on any team we've ever had, depending on teammates & formations.

Other than Digger, I really don't know who I'd pick after I'd done the back 5...

What complicates the choice is that the 1988 version of a number of those players might not make the cut whereas their best, earlier versions definitely would. I'm thinking principally of the King and Rushy, who in their prime would HAVE to play up front. Virgil's so toweringly good that I guess he has to be in there now, but Lawrenson was such an outstanding partner for Jocky that the choice would still be far from easy.

BTW there's no way Trent gets in at RB ahead of Stevie Nicol, who was equally good going forward and - thus far at any rate - unquestionably the better defender.

This. Excellent points, mo chara, especially the Jockey & Lawro one... VVD may well be our 2nd best ever defender when it's all said and done, but Lawro's probably our 3rd best ever, and that partnership with Jockey might be the greatest CB pairing that English football has ever seen.

Brucie
Ablett Hansen Gillespie Nico
Houghton McMahaon Spackman Barnes
Beardsly Aldridge

Molby in jail, Whelan injured, otherwise either one of them would replace Spackers

Wasn't Rush in Italy in 88?

Steve Nicol is my all time favorite Liverpool player, whether he was at right back, left back, center back or midfield

Brucie
Ablett Hansen Gillespie Nico
Houghton McMahaon Spackman Barnes
Beardsly Aldridge

Molby in jail, Whelan injured, otherwise either one of them would replace Spackers

Haha. Molby was in jail the following season I think.

Wasn't Rush in Italy in 88?

Steve Nicol is my all time favorite Liverpool player, whether he was at right back, left back, center back or midfield

He was still there at the beginning of that year but came back in time for the 88/89 season.

And yeah, I loved Stevie Nicol too. He gets in my idea of the All-Time XI at left back (the competition for the other positions he played is tougher and he has to be in there somewhere) but was equally good in all the positions you rightly mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom