• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chinese "Devil Virus" - anyone worried?

Luke O'Neill was saying the other day that one of the Omicron mutations is very similar to the common cold. He said it's too early to tell but if that became the main element of Omicron (I'm paraphrasing vet badly) then there's a chance Omicron could be extremely mild. If that's the case and Omicron becomes the dominant variant then we could be in a very good place by Spring

Based on his summary in the first five minutes, and if that turns out to be true on a wider scale, it's great news, it'd be pretty much the end of it. If it's not causing hospitalisations, then herd immunity by exposure then becomes viable, or the current vaccines are enough on their own.

I had heard somewhere, can't remember where, that a surviving mutation will almost certainly be more transmittable(kinda has to be to take off), and is less likely to be fatal/dangerous, maybe a one in four chance of it being worse. Hopefully, that is the case with Omnicom, we'll probably know on a wider scale in a few weeks.

Yeah, I remember hearing a while ago and relaying it in here that the vast majority of viruses go through mutations that eventually become more transmissable as well as less deadly. It's beneficial to us as well as the virus itself.

That said, if that turns out to be the case, I still don't trust the media, pharmaceutical companies and governmental officials to begin playing down the risk and steer us back towards normality. It's been a good time for them, and they'll want to keep this going.

Luke O'Neill was saying the other day that one of the Omicron mutations is very similar to the common cold. He said it's too early to tell but if that became the main element of Omicron (I'm paraphrasing vet badly) then there's a chance Omicron could be extremely mild. If that's the case and Omicron becomes the dominant variant then we could be in a very good place by Spring

They've said over here that there isnt enough data available yet given as it the young part of the population that have been infected so far by Omicron, so we dont know yet how the elderly will react to the new variant.

They've said over here that there isnt enough data available yet given as it the young part of the population that have been infected so far by Omicron, so we dont know yet how the elderly will react to the new variant.

Shut up Hansern.

8ebxoj815s381.jpg

Sorry but it's a myth that a virus that becomes more transmitable is more likely to be become milder.

But it's what usually happens. If they become worse they start wiping out their host populations, which is no good for their evolution.

Sorry but it's a myth that a virus that becomes more transmitable is more likely to be become milder.

No. But a lot of viruses have evolved to become more transmissable and less deadly. There's a slight difference. Many scientists, while not saying this definitely will happen, have suggested it is a very possible scenario judging by previous viruses and pandemics

The way it was explained to me was, there's thousands of mutations all the time, 99% never survive as they're not dangerous, not transmissible or not as transmittable. Every so often one will be more contagious, or will arrive at a time when the previous one is at a low point (less likely to be this, as less cases means less mutations), the likelihood for all these to happen and it was also too be more dangerous is therefore less likely, although obviously still possible. It sounds plausible, but I don't know if it's true.

Unfortunately for you, this virus is already harmless to the vast majority of people, so there's very little evolutionary advantage or pressure for it to become even more harmless. It would require a massive slice of luck to be otherwise, and we all know that isn't happening.

Yeah that was almost a good point. I don't think this virus becoming even less fatal will do much to stop the hysteria. We're too far gone on that front.

But it's what usually happens. If they become worse they start wiping out their host populations, which is no good for their evolution.
True it's a disadvantage to the virus to kill off its host. But it's not sentient working out a strategy. Mutations are random. Could get milder or worse.

Well, this morning I woke up 5 shivering. I took a paracetamol and fell back asleep. Woke up later feeling as if I had been beaten up and thrown down the stairs. Took some paracetamol and I felt fine. Then I couldn't stop shivering and had to lie down for a bit. I haven't felt this bad since Xmas 2012 when I was struck down with tonsillitis.

Wait, I tell a lie, I haven't felt this bad with no alcohol involved since then.

Well, this morning I woke up 5 shivering. I took a paracetamol and fell back asleep. Woke up later feeling as if I had been beaten up and thrown down the stairs. Took some paracetamol and I felt fine. Then I couldn't stop shivering and had to lie down for a bit. I haven't felt this bad since Xmas 2012 when I was struck down with tonsillitis.

It's winter, you might have just got a cold or flu, like lots of people do quite naturally, there's absolutely no evidence that what you're describing is a side-effect from the booster.

It's winter, you might have just got a cold or flu, like lots of people do quite naturally, there's absolutely no evidence that what you're describing is a side-effect from the booster.
Plenty of anecdotal evidence.

The number of people in hospital with Covid in England has fallen below 6,000. There were more patients at the end of August than there are now. This time last year there were 13,000 – and that was after three weeks of lockdown.

https://capx.co/is-the-omicron-overreaction-a-harbinger-of-christmas-future/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=03/12/2021

An interesting thing is that even though people testing positive has increased fifty percent over the past month, deaths and hospitalisations are twenty percent down. You'd have thought the upward curve of positive tests would have had an impact on hospitals by now, but the opposite is true.

An interesting thing is that even though people testing positive has increased fifty percent over the past month, deaths and hospitalisations are twenty percent down. You'd have thought the upward curve of positive tests would have had an impact on hospitals by now, but the opposite is true.
Yep. High uptake of vaccines in the oldies and the boosters.

Younger people testing positive would mean lower hospitalisations and deaths.

BUT THE NHS IS ON THE VERGE OF CRISIS!!!!!!

Jokes aside, there has obviously been far fewer Covid patients in hospital during Delta compared to previous waves.

The issue now is that previous peaks in the waves have been as we were coming out of winter and all the other pressures the NHS deal with every winter were easing off. Now we're going into winter and a potential worse variant is already here.

5871e63d868580b40ddef8d1a3565d84.jpg

Back
Top Bottom