• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carlos Soler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Liverpool can repeat unexpected transfer successes of the past with signing of Spain star
Liverpool have been linked with Valencia midfielder Carlos Soler

0_GettyImages-1400684029.jpg

With uncertainty surrounding the futures of Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah, it’s unsurprising that Liverpool are being linked with signing all manner of wingers and forwards. Some fresh blood in other areas of the pitch might not go amiss too though.
After all, the Reds had the fourth oldest starting XI in the 2021/22 Premier League on average. The area which could perhaps use a signing at around peak age is the midfield, which is mostly stocked with promising youngsters or veterans.
New boy Fabio Carvalho will join the former group, while James Milner has extended his contract to remain in the latter set for another season. As things stand there won’t be a midfielder at Liverpool aged between 21 and 27 when 2022/23 gets underway, though a Spanish international might be about to fill that gap. The man in question is Carlos Soler of Valencia, who was linked with Liverpool at the start of the season. At that time, Fichajes reported that Jurgen Klopp liked “his ability to occupy different roles within the midfielder zone.” While he most commonly plays centrally, the 25-year-old has featured on both sides of the midfield too.

Soler looks to be on the move this summer as he only has one year remaining on his current deal, and as he made his international debut in this campaign he looks ready to step up to a bigger club. It’s not immediately clear that his strengths align with Liverpool’s needs though.

For instance, Soler was one of the top chance creating midfielders from set pieces in La Liga this season. It’s a valuable skill to possess – Alex Ferguson once claimed Charlie Adam’s corners were worth £10million – but the Reds have this covered with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson. Although the Valencia man was in the top 30 players in the big leagues for out-swinging corners (which Liverpool favour) this season, Klopp’s full-backs were among the top eight.

At first glance, Soler also appears to carry a goal threat from the centre of the park. OptaJose tweeted that he was the first Valencia midfielder to hit double figures in consecutive league campaigns since Gaizka Mendieta at the turn of the millennium. However, in both seasons seven of his 11 goals came from the spot and Liverpool don’t lack for penalty takers as they proved in style in their recent cup finals.

But before we dismiss the possibility that Soler is the right man for Klopp’s squad, it’s important to remember we’ve been here before. Many, many times. There were not many Liverpool supporters who thought a cheap left-back from relegated Hull City would become one of the best in the world, yet that is exactly what occurred with Robertson after he moved to Merseyside.

And another example provides an interesting parallel with Soler. Among the 10 midfielders to whom the Spaniard has been most statistically similar over the last year (per FBRef) is Gini Wijnaldum. His time at Liverpool was always interesting from an analytical perspective as he rarely contributed much to the numbers but was clearly a key player for the team which became champions of everywhere.

Wijnaldum’s contributions were far from showy most of the time and Soler may offer similar, less heralded strengths which the team requires. The Reds love to switch play from side to side to unsettle opposition defences, and the Valencia man performs well in this regard. Among the 98 players who completed at least 75 switch passes (those which travel at least 40 yards across the middle of the pitch) in the big leagues last season, Soler was 10th for the proportion of his total passes which fell into this category. As an aside, another reported Liverpool target Jarrod Bowen was top.

This is just one metric, but don’t be surprised if the transfer analysts at Anfield have unearthed other less obvious stats which show Soler could be the man for whom Liverpool’s midfield is looking. They’ve done this sort of thing before and will no doubt do so again.

========================

To add a bit more information to the Echo write-up above, here are Soler's basic stats:

Age 25, height 180cm
Played at Valencia for the entirety of his career, starting with youth teams
Position: central midfield, right-footed
Transfermarkt estimated market value: £55M
7 caps for Spain national team, 2 goals (both from open play and in competitive games – in fact he started in 3 of Spain's last 4 WC qualification games)
178 games in La Liga, 30 goals, 25 assists, 33 yellow cards, 1 red
11 Champions League games, 3 goals and 3 assists
Interested clubs: Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Juventus
Rumoured fee: €20M

Highlights:

I think he's going to Atletico.

Yes, it's been widely reported that Atletico made a €15M bid, but Valencia are holding out for more. There was also some kind of drama earlier with Barcelona trying to get him and Valencia's president leaking the news or something – I didn't understand why, but somehow this resulted in Barcelona being out of the running.

Googling "Carlos Soler to LFC" there are plenty of articles about our interest – from last summer, from early April, then May, then now. It does look like he's on Klopp's list – and his profile seems to fit; right age and experience, clear upward trajectory in the national team and available on the cheap. So if we turn our attention to him after missing on Tchouameni, money probably won't be an issue – but he might ultimately prefer to stay in sunny Spain, which would be understandable.

Would he be a on a list of potential targets in regards to Tchouameni’s profile though?
Sangare and Kouadio Kone might seem more similar.

I’d rather think he would be an upgrade on the likes of Ox.

Would be a good signing through. Execellent player.

Would he be a on a list of potential targets in regards to Tchouameni’s profile though?
Sangare and Kouadio Kone might seem more similar.

I’d rather think he would be an upgrade on the likes of Ox.

Would be a good signing through. Execellent player.

My theory is that it is actually Tchouameni who does not quite fit the profile of a midfielder we're looking for – because replacement/competition for Fabinho is far from our biggest priorities. But he was such an exceptional talent that Klopp was willing to potentially change the system to accommodate him. I think the profile we're looking for is closer to Wijnaldum: a versatile well-rounded midfielder who can play with or instead of Thiago/Keita. Soler, Gavi, Thielemans – that's the type I think.

Interesting that you mentioned Kouadio Kone. Didn't see any links to us, but I saw him when I was "scouting" Denis Zakaria and was much more impressed by Kone... He's a more of an advanced midfielder than Tchouameni; less of a destroyer, more an all-around player.

Last edited:
My theory is that it is actually Tchouameni who does not represent the profile of a midfielder we're looking for – because replacement/competition for Fabinho is far from our biggest priorities. But he was such an exceptional talent that Klopp was willing to potentially change the system to accommodate him. I think the profile we're looking for is closer to Wijnaldum: a versatile well-rounded midfielder who can play with or instead of Thiago/Keita. Soler, Gavi, Thielemans – that's the type I think.

Interesting that you mentioned Kouadio Kone. Didn't see any links to us, but I saw him when I was "scouting" Denis Zakaria and was much more impressed by Kone... He's a more of an advanced midfielder than Tchouameni.

Good point. We certainly missed that type of midfielder that Wijnaldum offered.

Kone was mentioned on a Liverpool podcast I listened to, but cant remember which one it was in all honesty.
Looks a great talent.

Gavi will probably sign a new contract with Barca, but what a player that would be in this team.

Kone was mentioned on a Liverpool podcast I listened to, but cant remember which one it was in all honesty.
Looks a great talent.

Interesting that you mentioned Kouadio Kone. Didn't see any links to us, but I saw him when I was "scouting" Denis Zakaria and was much more impressed by Kone... He's a more of an advanced midfielder than Tchouameni; less of a destroyer, more an all-around player.

Untitled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom