• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bon Van Dijk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The better question would be would be like to be part of the next era.

He had 18 months left on his contract.

I can easily see him signing a 2 year extension.

I took it the same as Gerry. It would be presumptuous to assume he’d be in the plans, even though we all assume he would. Last thing we need is to lose our senior players at the same time as Klopp. Continuity is key during this time.

Asked whether he saw himself being part of the next Liverpool era, he said: “That’s a big question. Well, I don’t know.”

The Netherlands captain elaborated when it was put to him that, with 18 months left on his deal, a decision will be needed soon. Van Dijk replied: “That is correct – good maths. Listen, I don’t know. The club will have a big job on their hands, that is well known. To replace the manager and replace not only the manager, the staff is leaving, and there are so many things that will change.

“That is correct – good maths. Listen, I don’t know. The club will have a big job on their hands, that is well known. To replace the manager and replace not only the manager, the staff is leaving, and there are so many things that will change. “So the club has a big job on its hands and I am very curious which direction that will go in. But when that will be announced we will see our situation, I can’t say now.”

“Obviously it will be the end of Jürgen Klopp’s era. I am very glad that I am still part of it,” Van Dijk said. “That is why I don’t like to speak about it. I am still part of it. That is my main focus now and we will see at the end of the season hopefully we have the success that we all dream of and fight for each and every day. By then there will probably be more clarification about what the club wants for the future and then we will see.”

I wish he'd keep his gob shut for now. We need some stability, and to keep the focus on the season. We don't need several players coming out destabilizing things.

I wish he'd keep his gob shut for now. We need some stability, and to keep the focus on the season. We don't need several players coming out destabilizing things.
What he has said is the most reasonable thing in the world.

The same press and knee jerkers saying he was finished a year ago are now going to say him leaving at 33 would spell doom.

It's going to be a big challenge to replace him regardless of when exactly it happens, but it will have to happen. He will have played his career defining and best years for us. If we keep saying that about legendary players we will be fine.

It is reasonable. But it's also unsettling for the club. No need to be creating headlines IMHO. Could easily say - "I'm looking forward to seeing the next chapter at LFC, and helping the club in this transition however I can" - instead of what also could be a bit of a "I'm open for offers" kind of statement.

He's probs just as shocked as us, but our shock doesn't mean a possible shitload of upheaval whereas his does. His missus and mates are probs asking him the same thing and he's thinking out loud. Not an issue. He's just being open.

Hopefully, yes, just don't want an extravaganza of public doubt which will destabilize the club and the search for a new manager

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players (especially the captain) to be a bit political when it comes to questions like this.

There are ways of answering that way more positively without lying.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect players (especially the captain) to be a bit political when it comes to questions like this.

There are ways of answering that way more positively without lying.

And it wouldn't make any difference. These stories will run till his contract is either signed or he leaves even if he refused to answer questions.

It is reasonable. But it's also unsettling for the club. No need to be creating headlines IMHO. Could easily say - "I'm looking forward to seeing the next chapter at LFC, and helping the club in this transition however I can" - instead of what also could be a bit of a "I'm open for offers" kind of statement.

If you're going to blame anyone for unsettling the club, you should blame Klopp.

Nah, he's been around for 9 years, can't do that. I'm just saying keep the media talk about your "uncertain future" to a minimum for a little while

It's me quoting me. :ROFLMAO: . It's kind of inferred from "Virgil van Dijk was asked yesterday about whether he would be part of the next era at Liverpool when Jurgen Klopp leaves in the summer. “That’s a big question,” he said. “Well, I don’t know."

But those clarifications above from @Hansern do rein things in a little.

He's not said anything wrong. If he starts putting in 3/10 performances; then there's a discussion to be had.

They aren't clarifications though, they are just the difference between reading an entire statement as opposed to a headline and part of a statement.

There's going to be more of this, so buckle up and don't get blown this way and that.

Remember. "Journalism is "a low trade and a habit worse than heroin, a strange seedy world of misfits and drunkards and failures.”

Hunter of course thought that sportswriting was the lowest of all forms of journalism.

I think the rest of the quotes make it worse than the headline. You could interpret the headline as "I don't know because it's not my decision", as others have said here.

But he's clearly not saying that. He's saying that there's a load of upheaval and he doesn't know how the club is going to handle it, and he'll make a decision based on how they do. It's therefore implicit that he doesn't necessarily trust them to get it right.

Which might be true and reasonable, but probably not the best way for the club to foster confidence in its future etc.

It's not just about him wanting to stay, it's if the new manager wants him to stay and wants him part of the plans, which Virgil can't really make assumptions on.
If there is a manager in world football who wouldn't want van Dijk in his team then they are clinically insane and should not be anywhere near the Liverpool job.

It definitely wasn’t as emphatic as you’d want from your club captain at this moment. But I do think he was trying to be diplomatic.

Or rather, maybe I’m praying he was.

Oh, I agree. Just not sure Virgil is the kind of person to say that.
Yeah, he's a humble guy. I heard a story about when he first came to the club and was staying at a hotel in town. He'd left his iPad at Melwood and asked if someone could bring it to him, which they did. He was really grateful but was anxious that they didn't make any noise when they came to pass it back as the kids were asleep on the bed so he and his missus were in lying in the bath because they didn't want to wake the kids after such a long day.
Pretty sure a club record signing could have demanded another room and no-one would have batted an eyelid, but he wasn't going to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom