• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Benteke - BOOOOOO the puns

He makes me disproportionately angry. Is there some sort of post-modern ironic or satirical element I'm missing? This sort of abominable shite puts me off the internet as a whole.

Haha, he's either a master troll or completely oblivious to how awful he is, I hope the latter, it makes me cry with laughter how bad it is, so much cringe.

Which is depressing when you consider his talent compared to our previous captains...

His talent in what way? Gerrard was hit and miss as a captain, he drove the team as a player when at his best, as a captain he didn't always know how to fire players up. Everyone who's spoken about Henderson say he has the respect of the dressing room and he's the perfect candidate because players look up to him, his relative talent to someone like Gerrard should be irrelevant. It's not the quality of the player that dictates what effect they will have in terms of leadership.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

His talent in what way? Gerrard was hit and miss as a captain, he drove the team as a player when at his best, as a captain he didn't always know how to fire players up. Everyone who's spoken about Henderson say he has the respect of the dressing room and he's the perfect candidate because players look up to him, his relative talent to someone like Gerrard should be irrelevant. It's not the quality of the player that dictates what effect they will have in terms of leadership.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

That having Henderson as our captain is a little depressing. I've made the point a few times, I'm not really sure how to explain it any other way. You look at the list of club captains we have, and he stands out like a sore thumb.

As regards people speaking highly of him, everyone always speaks highly of the incumbent, whether they're managers, captains or players, that's just what they do. He could well be great, but I wouldn't bank on his peers word on it. I don't really think anyone looks up to him, in the same way as they did Gerrard, but maybe that's a good thing. At the end of the way, it'll be the performances that prove it, and hopefully he'll live up to the pressure.

That having Henderson as our captain is a little depressing. I've made the point a few times, I'm not really sure how to explain it any other way. You look at the list of club captains we have, and he stands out like a sore thumb.

You're making a correlation between the quality of player and quality of captain, I'm saying it's not really relevant. You've more or less said as much yourself, yet still continue to make the same point. We haven't picked him because he's our best player, so pointing to it as a sign of our lack of quality is incorrect.

We've picked him because he's a professional lad who has the ethics of the clubs past at heart, in that he works hard to improve and he shows clear passion for the club and wearing the shirt.

No, I don't reckon he's a problem. There is a middle ground on this. He doesn't have to be our next superstar.

He's a decent player and adds to the team, but he's not up there with the likes of our previous captains, and is unlikely to ever be that standard.

I loved Jamie Redknapp as a teenager but I really don't think he was a better player or captain than Henderson can be for us.

I think he will be better than the version of Ince we had too.

Back to Benteke. I have a feeling that part of Rodgers' desperation to get Benteke is because he thinks this type of striker can create something on his own if you give him the ball in space. And since we won't have enough team cohesion to start passing and pressing the teams to death right away, Rodgers is likely to play it safe and stick with a simple counter-attacking game for the first few months of the season. This way Benteke won't need to change his game right away; he can continue playing basically the same way he was at Villa and hopefully his goals will be enough to "hold the fort" until the more intricate passing game is solid enough to be used as "plan A".

Plus with the way the calendar is set up, we play all the big guns away first so that's even more reason for Rodgers to keep it pragmatic until he feels less pressure. Some fans will probably complain that we are "playing with a small team mentality" and just trying not to concede and nick an odd goal on the counter.

Excellent post, the first convincing suggestion I've seen that there might be some coherent planning behind this move. I just hope it turns out to be a signing which can go on giving value for the (huge) sum we're paying once the shackles come off later in the season.

@gkmacca, who on earth is this guy? (I await the wise cracks saying Benteke)

11760092_876201472428640_4871507222219767628_n.jpg

This video shows only 40 goals, not 49. Here's the break-down by the type of goal:

10 goals – received a pass inside the penalty area and finished with the foot
8 goals – header from a cross
6 goals – ran with the ball into the penalty area and finished
6 goals – penalties converted
4 goals – scored from a corner (2 with head, 2 with feet)
3 goals – shots from outside the penalty area
2 goals – beat the offside trap and finished 1 on 1 with the keeper
1 goal – direct free-kick

That's not complete Rurik - we need each goal scored with his feet to be further broken down into Left or Right, otherwise people will claim he's one-footed.

Goal at the 3:38 mark against United; quick footwork bamboozling Evans and curling beyond De Gea - very impressive. For someone with such a build, he seems to go more often for a considered sidefoot placement more than a power wallop. Notice the same about his penalties. Have to say it's not my favourite kind of penalty as the keeper who guesses correctly won't be beaten by the lack of ball speed.

Hopefully he'll get us a few headed goals from corners. About time we had more of them again.

He's a very good finisher indeed - cool, good with both feet and his head. Here's hoping he smashes in 20 this year.

Back
Top Bottom