• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Atletico (a) post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some ways this feels a bit like when we won against Arsenal while looking shaky at the back and some pundits (Keane I think) said we looked sloppy and illdisciplined. Cue the standard indignant response of ' fuck off we won what more do people want'

We then went out and conceded 7 to Villa. I don't think the balance in midfield is right and we are back to playing too high a line for Matip and Trent to defend.

The warnings are there, we've given up multiple goals against Milan, Brentford, City, Atletico. We are fine when we get 70% of possession and the other team is starved to death but when teams actually attack us we give up alot of chances.

In some ways this feels a bit like when we won against Arsenal while looking shaky at the back and some pundits (Keane I think) said we looked sloppy and illdisciplined. Cue the standard indignant response of ' fuck off we won what more do people want'

We then went out and conceded 7 to Villa. I don't think the balance in midfield is right and we are back to playing too high a line for Matip and Trent to defend.

The warnings are there, we've given up multiple goals against Milan, Brentford, City, Atletico. We are fine when we get 70% of possession and the other team is starved to death but when teams actually attack us we give up alot of chances.

Another slight concern is that we play in patches during games. We've still got the old mentality of doing as much damage as we can during our spell in the game, and when we don't that's when it becomes a problem. We're definitely vulnerable and ahead of facing an attack as talented as United's, it's a big worry.

Another slight concern is that we play in patches during games. We've still got the old mentality of doing as much damage as we can during our spell in the game, and when we don't that's when it becomes a problem. We're definitely vulnerable and ahead of facing an attack as talented as United's, it's a big worry.
Wasn't that a Klopp theory? Once we are on top and score then we go all out for the 2nd/3rd to kill it off? Maybe my memory fails me.

Last edited:
Wasn't that a Klopp theory? Once are are on top and score then we go all out for the 2nd/3rd to kill it off? Maybe my memory fails me.

Yeah I think it was, but we still kind of struggle with that plan B don't we? There's a few games where we've shown an element of control late on, usually when Henderson and Milner are on the pitch and they time waste to run the clock down, but other than that there always seems to be this tendency to not play the possession game and kill a game. I know the possession stats probably say otherwise, but it's obvious when watching that we lack that discipline.

Yeah I think it was, but we still kind of struggle with that plan B don't we? There's a few games where we've shown an element of control late on, usually when Henderson and Milner are on the pitch and they time waste to run the clock down, but other than that there always seems to be this tendency to not play the possession game and kill a game. I know the possession stats probably say otherwise, but it's obvious when watching that we lack that discipline.
Yep. I think that also starts from the front though and Mane & Jota are not so good in that respect, coughing up possession far too often. Our back line can hang on to it all night long. Shame Thiago isn't available but start with Milner/Jones and bring Keita on later, since he has the technical skills to keep possession better than either Millie or Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom