• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

All-time Liverpool XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Carra's pick below. What's yours?

Clemence
TAA-Hansen-VvD-Nicol
Salah-Gerrard-Souness-Barnes
Rush-Dalglish

I'll only go for players who were at their peak in my supporting years since 1996.

------------------Alisson
--Trent--Hyypia---VVD---Robertson
----------Fabinho-----Alonso
------------------Gerrard-------
--Salah-------Torres------Suarez

I'd swap Mark Lawrenson for TAA at RB and go with Carra's team... He was simply too good a footballer to not have in the side somewhere.

Suarez is the best striker I've ever seen play for LFC, I'm talking raw talent and skill.
Salah is the best forward I've ever seen play for LFC.
Gerrard is the best midfielder....
Barnes best winger...

Can’t argue with Carra’s team. It would work better as a 4-2-3-1 formation.

——————-Clemence——————-
Trent———Hansen——Van Dijk———Nicol
————Gerrard——Souness——————
——Salah——Dalglish———Barnes———
———————-Rush—————————-

Feels like the usual goal scorer bias is there and it's 80s at the earliest

We've had so many superb strikers over the years (and I'm starting from the 60's so loads I'll miss!)

St John, Hunt, Keegan, Tosh, Rush, Aldo, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Kuyt (ok tongue in cheek!) and Suarez

Wide forwards/Wingers

Cally (originally), Heighway, Thompson (Peter), Barnes, McManaman, Beardsley, Kennedy (Ray - sort of), Garcia (ok another TiC!), Mane, Salah, Paddy Berger at times

The list is endless Peter Cormack deserves a shout, Phil Neal, Lawro was amazing, Hyypia was unbeatable for a while and no mention for Didi or Xabi. I know Crazy Horse polarises but again amazing at his peak.

Can’t argue with Carra’s team. It would work better as a 4-2-3-1 formation.

——————-Clemence——————-
Trent———Hansen——Van Dijk———Nicol
————Gerrard——Souness——————
——Salah——Dalglish———Barnes———
———————-Rush—————————-

That's a wicked looking team. I'd be tempted to put Alisson in for Clemence.

Not a chance Trent gets in at RB ahead of Phil Neal if I'm picking the side. Trent wouldn't even be second choice - both Rob Jones and Babbel would be ahead of him. I do rate Trent highly but he's got a way to go yet to reach the level of those three, IMHO of course.

Otherwise Carra has it spot on for me. And boy, what a bench: Suarez, Sami, Keegan, Beardsley, sooooo many others in the running.

Last edited:
Is Babbel a bit overrated in these discussions. Obviously he was a great player, but not sure he played enough games. He played 42 league games, 73 games in total. There's no rule, but would think you'd need to have at least 100 league games to even be considered.

That's a point of view, Gerry, but it's one with which I don't agree, because then it seems to me you're judging careers rather than individual skillsets. When Babbel first arrived, GH put him in his accustomed position of CB and shunted Henchoz out to RB, which flopped. When he swapped the two of them back over, we won a Treble and - admittedly for one season, but I genuinely don't see why that matters - Babbel turned into an absolute attacking and defending monster. His serious illness the following season was a tragedy in more ways than one.

Hmm..Trent has been a big part of a league and CL win and has pretty reinvented the role. Jones won nothing but two domestic cups, and Babbel was part of a treble, but didn't win any of the two biggest two trophies. I can understand the argument for Neal(although I wasn't old enough to remember him), but I think Trent is the best fullback of the last 30 years(left or right), another trophy or two will cement that, even if you disregard longevity.

Last edited:
Suarez was a better striker than Rushy, in terms of raw talent. But too much of a dick, to ever be a club legend

Hmm..Trent has been a big part of a league and CL win and has pretty reinvented the role. Jones won nothing but two domestic cups, and Babbel was part of a treble, but didn't win any of the two biggest two trophies. I can understand the argument for Neal(although I wasn't old enough to remember him), but I think Trent is the best fullback of the last 30 years(left or right), another trophy or two will cement that, even if you disregard longevity.

Let's agree to disagree. IMHO the "won nothing" argument is of little or no value in discussions like this because it ropes in too many other factors, including other people, to be truly relevant to a comparison of the merits of individual players.

Trent is a real talent and may yet turn out to be the best of them, but for me his defending will have to improve to put him on par with those players discussed above.

Trent’s defending debates are a load of shite. He’s better than people give him credit for. He’s not even 24 yet and being compared to a prime German international amongst others.

To quote Barney Roney (founds thanks to an article shared by @doctor_mac ) “He is not so much a full-back as a playmaker from the right flank”.

Trent’s defending debates are a load of shite. He’s better than people give him credit for. He’s not even 24 yet and being compared to a prime German international amongst others.

To quote Barney Roney (founds thanks to an article shared by @doctor_mac ) “He is not so much a full-back as a playmaker from the right flank”.
I think he demands the answer to the question, who the manager of this "All time Eleven" is going to be and what style of football would they play.
If it is Klopp, Trent definitely gets into the team.
If it is Shanks, Bob, Kenny or even Rafa, then he will probably have a few other right backs ahead of him in the queue

The debates in question are not "sh!te". I happen to agree that he's better than some give him credit for, but to deny that he has more to learn in that department flies in the face of what's actually happened out there on the pitch. He's a fine player already and a superb future prospect but he is NOT the finished article yet.

It is a rubbish argument to have. It’s a narrative and those he’s being compared too as a right back are no better at defending. The BBC used part of the build up to talk about it. It’s flavour of the month.

Can he get better? Yes. Will he get better? I have no doubt.

But why all the negativity around his defensive attributes? So far this season he’s been way better than Robertson who has had a stinker for months and his last few games have been atrocious. Yet, we talk about about Trent being a defender.

I share your annoyance at the emphasis placed on it in the media sometimes, but the idea that that totally invalidates the basic point is a leap too far for me.

Sorry - Jules…. I’d have Trent in my team ahead of Babel & Jones without a second thought.

No disrespect to any of them - but they don’t have the passing ability of Trent.

It does depend somewhat on the system.

If it were a Klopp 4-3-3… I’d find myself in the unusual position of suggesting King Kenny doesn’t make it into the team and I’d be flipping a coin for Rush or Suarez… or Torres for that matter as the central forward.

Alisson
Trent - Hansen - Van Dijk - Nicol
Gerrard - Souness - Alonso
Salah - Torres - Barnes

Subs : Riena, Carragher, Hypia, Mascherano, Dalglish, Suarez, Rush.

Fuck… it’s hard though, and I agree though, there’s definitely a bias y towards more recent players.

I think he demands the answer to the question, who the manager of this "All time Eleven" is going to be and what style of football would they play.
If it is Klopp, Trent definitely gets into the team.
If it is Shanks, Bob, Kenny or even Rafa, then he will probably have a few other right backs ahead of him in the queue
If its Kenny towards the end of his first stint, he'd have 4 full backs ahead of him ... all playing in midfield, and probably at least one playing center half

If its Kenny towards the end of his first stint, he'd have 4 full backs ahead of him ... all playing in midfield, and probably at least one playing center half
So you reckon Trent should be in the all time X1 in midfield then?

Reactions: dee
Sorry - Jules…. I’d have Trent in my team ahead of Babel & Jones without a second thought.

No disrespect to any of them - but they don’t have the passing ability of Trent.

It does depend somewhat on the system.

If it were a Klopp 4-3-3… I’d find myself in the unusual position of suggesting King Kenny doesn’t make it into the team and I’d be flipping a coin for Rush or Suarez… or Torres for that matter as the central forward.

Alisson
Trent - Hansen - Van Dijk - Nicol
Gerrard - Souness - Alonso
Salah - Torres - Barnes

Subs : Riena, Carragher, Hypia, Mascherano, Dalglish, Suarez, Rush.

Fuck… it’s hard though, and I agree though, there’s definitely a bias y towards more recent players.

I respect that of course (as I respect what momo's said) but again we're not going to agree. Passing ability wouldn't even be close to top priority in a fullback for me.

…. Passing ability wouldn't even be close to top priority in a fullback for me.

I would have agreed with you entirely with this but up until I saw what Trent could do from RB in a Klopp system.

It and he are unique.

Trent wouldn’t fit into the sides Jones & Babel did as effectively as they did, and they wouldn’t give our current side the extra dimension Trent does.

Entirely fair comments. I guess picking an All-Time XI will always bring up issues like these.

If we win the Quad I promise to reconsider. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom