• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What does Rafa see in him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koze

6CM Follower
EL ZHAR SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION
James Carroll 11 July 2009
Nabil El Zhar has signed an extension to his current Liverpool contract that will keep him at Anfield until 2012.
The 22-year-old, who made 19 appearances for the Reds' first-team last season, follows Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Daniel Agger in committing his long-term future to the club.

The Moroccan international joined Liverpool from Saint Etienne in October 2006.

The youngster was born in France and played for Les Bleus at youth level before defecting to Morocco, where his parents were raised.

He first caught the eye during the 2005 World Youth Championships when he helped his country reach the semi-final stage.

Our No.31, who can play on either flank or behind the striker, made his Reds senior debut as a 71st minute substitute against Portsmouth on November 29, 2006. It was the first of three appearances in 2006-07.

The following year saw El Zhar score a 25-yard stunner in front of the Kop during his first start of the campaign against Cardiff City in the Carling Cup.

He found the net again during his senior bow for Morocco versus Belgium in March 2008 before helping Liverpool Reserves clinch the 2007-08 national title.

Last season was El Zhar's most productive one yet at Anfield as he played a prominent role in some of the Reds' dramatic early season comebacks, leading manager Rafa Benitez to describe the winger as a 'lucky charm'.

He is like one of those average players, like N'Gog, Lucas, and Nunez whom Benitez seem to rate highly.

I can't see it. I mean he's not like gonna start many games. He doesn't score goals, not the best dribbler, he pretends to look busy everytime he comes on.. and we're handing him a contract extension.

Weird one our manager sometimes.

I think he counts as a homegrown player so is useful for the champions league squad.

Won' t be on high wages or demanding to start most games.

Can be a bit of a livewire when he comes on in games we are struggling in. Tries a more direct route.
I'm not fussed if he had of left or stayed. It's the latter, so good luck to him.

Is that the same Nunez who hardly played and was then shipped out after barely a season? Riiiight!

El Zhar is a good little player and fulfills an important squad role. If you want overpriced galactico's adorning the bench, Madrid might be more to your liking.

[quote author=koze link=topic=34659.msg904107#msg904107 date=1247307988]
EL ZHAR SIGNS CONTRACT EXTENSION
James Carroll 11 July 2009
Nabil El Zhar has signed an extension to his current Liverpool contract that will keep him at Anfield until 2012.
The 22-year-old, who made 19 appearances for the Reds' first-team last season, follows Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Daniel Agger in committing his long-term future to the club.

The Moroccan international joined Liverpool from Saint Etienne in October 2006.

The youngster was born in France and played for Les Bleus at youth level before defecting to Morocco, where his parents were raised.

He first caught the eye during the 2005 World Youth Championships when he helped his country reach the semi-final stage.

Our No.31, who can play on either flank or behind the striker, made his Reds senior debut as a 71st minute substitute against Portsmouth on November 29, 2006. It was the first of three appearances in 2006-07.

The following year saw El Zhar score a 25-yard stunner in front of the Kop during his first start of the campaign against Cardiff City in the Carling Cup.

He found the net again during his senior bow for Morocco versus Belgium in March 2008 before helping Liverpool Reserves clinch the 2007-08 national title.

Last season was El Zhar's most productive one yet at Anfield as he played a prominent role in some of the Reds' dramatic early season comebacks, leading manager Rafa Benitez to describe the winger as a 'lucky charm'.

He is like one of those average players, like N'Gog, Lucas, and Nunez whom Benitez seem to rate highly.

I can't see it. I mean he's not like gonna start many games. He doesn't score goals, not the best dribbler, he pretends to look busy everytime he comes on.. and we're handing him a contract extension.

Weird one our manager sometimes.
[/quote]

so you claim to know more than someone who has been a coach and manager for over 20 years?

maybe he see's him as a handy player to have at the club

My point is this, he's already 22.. He's not going to develop that much further. Pls, he's of no use to us. Why don't we try to cash in on him now, and give say someone like Amoo a chance, who's about twices as fast, twice as skilled and 4 years younger.

[quote author=koze link=topic=34659.msg904135#msg904135 date=1247310794]
My point is this, he's already 22.. He's not going to develop that much further.
[/quote]

No, of course not. Kinel.

Stick to computer games.

Alright Fatbottom. Do you ever wonder why your drooling rabid posting style gets you banned all the time, or do you just think the rest of the world are cunts?

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=34659.msg904126#msg904126 date=1247309636]
And also, if we sell him, we can demand mo money. Simples.
[/quote]

I hope that's it, because I don't think this lad is going to be good enough for us. He's lively and has some ability, but not top-of-the-Prem ability IMHO.

[quote author=Fatbottom link=topic=34659.msg904146#msg904146 date=1247311321]
Just internet simpletons.
[/quote]

As opposed to the role you've carved out for yourself, internet loopy superfan.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about this as well. He's a willing lad, but very limited. Ideally, we'd have someone a bit more explosive and prolific on the bench, but I guess when the finances are stretched, this is the kind of area you can most easily make savings. Anyway I prefer Rafa's current philosophy - prioritise the first XI, and hope for the best with the fringe players - to the one he had in his first three years at the club.

[quote author=Peatcheo link=topic=34659.msg904150#msg904150 date=1247311875]
El Zhar can be a threat late in games from the bench with his skill and pace.
[/quote]

Rafa, is that you?

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=34659.msg904152#msg904152 date=1247311965]
[quote author=Fatbottom link=topic=34659.msg904146#msg904146 date=1247311321]
Just internet simpletons.
[/quote]

As opposed to the role you've carved out for yourself, internet loopy superfan a twat.
[/quote]

He is nothing special but he is a good squad player to have. He's not gonna start, he will merely be used as a sub when we need width or when 1 of our other wingers are tired. trust in rafa

[quote author=Fatbottom link=topic=34659.msg904166#msg904166 date=1247312456]
I'm a big massive twat with a big massive twat of a head.
[/quote]

hahahaha. I like this one Liam.

[quote author=amber cabs link=topic=34659.msg904191#msg904191 date=1247314607]
I hate el Zhar. He's rubbish
[/quote]

Dont mince your words lad, tell us what you really think.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34659.msg904192#msg904192 date=1247314781]
[/quote]

Dont mince your words lad, tell us what you really think.
[/quote]

haha was thinking i'd been a bit harsh but i'm extremely hungover and i'm just thinking about his miss against boro was it? at one nil down I think

[/quote]

Haha, everyone has their pet hates and el Zhar is yours. His cameo against Wigan last year was good. Apart from that I'm struggling to think what impacts he's made off the bench.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=34659.msg904195#msg904195 date=1247315117]
[/quote]

Haha, everyone has their pet hates and el Zhar is yours. His cameo against Wigan last year was good. Apart from that I'm struggling to think what impacts he's made off the bench.
[/quote]

I remember us winning quite a few games after he came on

[/quote]And he has a cunts hair.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=34659.msg904198#msg904198 date=1247316397]
[/quote]And he has a cunts hair.
[/quote]

What, thick and curly?

A half decent player who is cheap, versalite and does not moan when he sits on the bench or stands(which is almost always).

I never thought he'd amount to much from watching him in the reserves - on his day, he looked a cut above, but that unfortunately didn't happen often enough (although I suppose injuries and internationals disrupting his season didn't help).

That said, I think this new contract is a good thing. He's not had much of a chance to shine in the first team, but credit where credit is due - he's not looked out of place. He's come on and shown a bit of pace, bit of skill and doesn't hide at all.

He's not a raw world class talent waiting to explode, of course not, but he's good enough to play first team football in a good division. Whether that is with us as a A/B list squaddie or with someone else after being sold for a couple mill, we're going to benefit.

I've got nothing against the guy.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=34659.msg904235#msg904235 date=1247324316]
rafa giving a player an extention means less than nothing, he (rafa) gave djimi and extention.
[/quote]Dumbest post of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom