• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Two Internet Bellends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
First up, it's our very own JamieK

Article removed.

... The great big bellend.

And that other "I know two bits of fuck-all" keyboard warrior, Guillem Ballague...

Life After Alonso: What Next for Liverpool?

There is a fair amount of despair coming from Liverpool fans following the departure of Xabi Alonso, with a lot of people leaving comments claiming Liverpool`s hopes of a title challenge followed the Spanish midfielder out the door. Emotions are running high, so it`s time we had a discussion about what Liverpool have lost, Real have gained and how this really effects prospects at Anfield…

Is it really possible that just one player can determine the fortunes of an entire team? There can be no disputing that players like Messi or Kaka are capable of winning a game almost single handedly with a goal or a moment of magic, but there are individuals who can determine the tempo, style and – for want of a better word – narrative of a football match. Xabi Alonso has he ability to be that player: a player with the intelligence to understand what a game needs at any given moment, and something that every coach prizes highly.

There was a time, not all that long ago, when Liverpool lacked personality out on the pitch: when there was lack of leadership and, when players needed instruction or cajoling from a team mate, the silence was deafening. Then came Carragher, Gerrard...and Xabi Alonso. Those senior figures in the Liverpool dressing room know that they have lost one of their own and view Xabi`s unveiling in the white of Madrid as a black day in the red half of Merseyside.

The Spanish midfielder wasn`t perfect: he could have been a better defender, but he became a more complete player since arriving in England; he could have scored more regularly, but his shooting became increasingly more potent; he could have been less demanding of his own performances, but he learned that he could not get a ten out of ten in every game; he could have been a bit quicker and more agile when receiving the ball under pressure. But let`s be realistic, without these imperfections he would have cost Madrid more than they paid for Cristiano Ronaldo and it is to Xabi`s great credit that he learned to adapt: overcoming his flaws with character and intelligence. His presence in the Liverpool dressing room will be sorely missed. The whole world witnessed Gerrard take the game by the scruff of its neck in the second half of that legendary night in Istanbul – yet perhaps equally important, but witnessed by only a few, was Xabi Alonso`s passion and personality in the dressing room at half time that sent his team-mates out with theirs ears ringing after the interval.

Liverpool`s loss is Real`s gain – and the Spanish side have signed more than a cultured right foot: adding an organiser with intelligence to bring some vital cohesion to a dazzling array of cavalier talent.

So where does this leave Liverpool?

Is it as bad as some of our posters on the site seem to be suggesting? Only time will tell how this affects the team dynamic, but at least in Alberto Aquilani Liverpool have moved quickly to recover an ability to dominate the passing game. The Italian lacks the long range distribution of Alonso, but his short passing – with the exception of Gerrard - is superior to anyone else at Anfield, and he, like Xabi, will provide creativity and dictate the tempo in the middle.

If Aquilani has a weakness – and he will need time to bed in to the rigours of Premiership football – it is physically. The Italian is hardly the most imposing of central midfielders, but neither was Xabi – and defending is not always about putting the boot in and possessing the physique of a heavyweight boxer. Positioning, tactical awareness, reading the game, the use of space and making yourself available for your team-mates are even more important at the very top level of European football. Just ask the Man United players about Xavi and Iniesta. When it comes down to an understanding of defensive tactics and positioning, Aquilani has it in abundance in his Italian DNA.

I also believe that Xabi`s departure provides an opportunity in other areas and for other players. For example, this year could be decisive for Lucas Leiva and is his big chance to show the rest of us what Rafa Benitez has clearly seen in him already. He may appear slow, but the young Brazilian does a lot of defensive work that goes unappreciated and his attacking play is superior to Alonso`s. I think it is time Liverpool fans gave him a chance, even if it requires a little patience, and this season will be the one where he must make the step up, or perhaps he never will.

It is time for Liverpool to move forward: there is now a collective responsibility to ensure that the Spaniard`s departure does not determine aspirations at Anfield and the impact of players like Aquilani and Leiva could, in differing ways, be pivotal in helping fill that Xabi shaped hole…

Re: JamieK

Well he IS injury prone. And with our history of Kewell, Cisse, Degen and such, I don't know what to think really.

The prospect of Aquilani signing excites me, but I realise that it might take him ages to adapt or even get fit.

Of all the players in all the world, why does Rafa Benitez seem intent on gambling a reputed £20m of the club's money on an injury prone midfielder who has barely managed 27 league starts in the last 3 years?

Yeah because Owen Hargreaves has played week in week out since he arrived at Man Yoo :🙂

Well he is injury prone and lossing Xabi and gaining him a step back and a massive gamble in my eyes.

I struggle to understand what Ballague sees in the latter part of this sentence;

"He may appear slow, but the young Brazilian does a lot of defensive work that goes unappreciated and his attacking play is superior to Alonso`s"

FUCKING DEFINE ATTACKING PLAY, YOU MONG!

[quote author=Roopy link=topic=35107.msg920122#msg920122 date=1249619203]
Of all the players in all the world, why does Rafa Benitez seem intent on gambling a reputed £20m of the club's money on an injury prone midfielder who has barely managed 27 league starts in the last 3 years?

Yeah because Owen Hargreaves has played week in week out since he arrived at Man Yoo :🙂
[/quote]

Was Hargreaves injury prone before he was signed? Or did he just get a really bad injury, which is entirely different and it can happen to any player?

*Wonders what on earth Ryan might be trying to say by posting these 2 articles*

Hmmm....Ah...No that wasn't it...................ah fuck it I don't think I will ever decipher the mysteries of this thread.

[quote author=Fallon link=topic=35107.msg920138#msg920138 date=1249623703]
*Wonders what on earth Ryan might be trying to say by posting these 2 articles*
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing.

JamieK is virtually on the money with the first article. We have took a massive gamble on this player, it may work out brilliantly, but it's unlikely on his past record. I'm just hoping the fucker stays fit, and lets see what he can do.

[quote author=Mors link=topic=35107.msg920144#msg920144 date=1249625443]
JamieK is virtually on the money with the first article. We have took a massive gamble on this player, it may work out brilliantly, but it's unlikely on his past record. I'm just hoping the fucker stays fit, and lets see what he can do.
[/quote]

indeed. the first article is spot on.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=35107.msg920180#msg920180 date=1249631449]
...Xabi`s unveiling in the white of Madrid as a black day in the red half of Merseyside.

One of the worst lines ever written by anyone other than a chimp.
[/quote]

Heh, yeah that was pretty atrocious - the whole article was.

It's bad news when you're still capable of embarrassing yourself next to Jamie Kuntwar.

[quote author=rage link=topic=35107.msg920168#msg920168 date=1249629409]
[quote author=Mors link=topic=35107.msg920144#msg920144 date=1249625443]
[/quote]

indeed. the first article is spot on.
[/quote]

Yes I think so too. Unless his injury is almost history we are signing a player at least a month away from match fitness - a month that could prove pivotal at the end of the season in determining the outcome of the league title. We need to be out the blocks fast a and keep it there for the whole 9 months.

I just hope to fuck he is as good as he's being built up to be.

I could imagine William Shatner hosting a TV show called Kuntwar. Then again, I can imagine Shatner hosting just about any TV show.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=35107.msg920188#msg920188 date=1249631853]
I could imagine William Shatner hosting a TV show called Kuntwar. Then again, I can imagine Shatner hosting just about any TV show.
[/quote]

He would be arrested on the appearance of his first female guest !

I didn't see alot wrong with either article, the first article says aqualad has record for injuries and the second said alonso dictated the tempo of liverpool's game and was a leader and will be missed. is that not true in both cases?

waiting+for+godot+I,+i.gif

GUILLEM ESTRAGON:
This is how it is. Or could be. Or may be. Something will happen.

JAMIE VLADIMIR:
Yes. It might. But it will happen for the wrong reason.

ESTRAGON: Or for no reason.

VLADIMIR: Shit happens.

ESTRAGON: Or might happen. I'm constipated.

VLADIMIR: Aren't we all?

ESTRAGON: Speak for yourself.

VLADIMIR: Shit for yourself.

ESTRAGON: But when is this great player coming?

VLADIMIR: He is not coming. Or, if he is coming, he will not be great.

ESTRAGON: Maybe not to the red people, for whom it will be a black day.

VLADIMIR: Every day is a black day for the red people.

ESTRAGON: They always fail.

VLADIMIR: But don't fail better.

ESTRAGON: But may fail better.

VLADIMIR: Shit happens.

ESTRAGON: Don't torture me!

VLADIMIR: You torture youreself.

ESTRAGON: We torture everyone else.

ESTRAGON: So what about Aquilani?

VLADIMIR: Shit.

one thing you have to wonder about (or maybe not) is why rafa was willing to take a chance on an injury prone aqualad, degen and to a lesser extent bellemy but not an injury prone owen.

hahaha Macca. This summer's transfer season has had a Waiting for Godot feeel to it.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=35107.msg920262#msg920262 date=1249638746]
one thing you have to wonder about (or maybe not) is why rafa was willing to take a chance on an injury prone aqualad, degen and to a lesser extent bellemy but not an injury prone owen.
[/quote]

was it not that Owen rejected us for not paying him enough?

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35107.msg920266#msg920266 date=1249638975]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No I don't think so. My understanding was that he wanted to come to us but Benitez didn't want him and we made no offer.

[quote author=Richey link=topic=35107.msg920278#msg920278 date=1249639663]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No I don't think so. My understanding was that he wanted to come to us but Benitez didn't want him and we made no offer.
[/quote]

But which rumour do we want to believe in?

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35107.msg920282#msg920282 date=1249639854]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The one about Rafa not wanting him.

I think it was that disease that Rafa was born with - I blame that. The one that makes him get all free transfers wrong.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=35107.msg920282#msg920282 date=1249639854]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whichever one you want to.

I doubt many people will be shifting their opinion on the Owen saga now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom