• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pick England's World Cup Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfish

Gone to Redcafe
And ?

Prediction : Last 16.

Keepers : Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Defenders : Jagielka, Smalling, Jones, Cahill, Walker, Shaw, Baines

Midfielders : Carrick, Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Barkley, Townsend, Ox-Chamberlain, Sterling

Forwards : Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Rodriquez (over Lambert)

Torn on Lallana for Townsend and also on either Davies or Caulker for Smalling.
Lampard misses out simply because we have enough central midfielders and not enough wide players (so I included Townsend, Ox-Chamberlain & Sterling) - though I've no doubt that Hodgson will include him.
I've left Johnson out, unless he regains form, for an extra midfielder. Jones or Smalling are capable of standing in at RB if anything happens to Walker.
Sterling is not only one of the best (young) attacking talents in England (Europe) at the moment he is also excellent defensively.
Gerrard has been superb as DM and can continue there at international level.
Baines is not only a great full back he makes a great winger and he's also a deadly deadball exponent on a level with Suarez so gets the nod over Welbeck on the right wing.
Barkley has been sensational for Everton and is not only better than Wilshire but far less volatile.
Milner / Cole / Barry left out - time to give youth some experience.

Starting Eleven :

............................................. Hart
Walker ................. Jones ................ Cahill ............... Shaw
........................................... Gerrard
Sterling ...............................Barkley ..........................Baines
................................................................Rooney
............................. Sturridge

------------------------Hart-----------------------
Johnson---Jagielka----Cahill------Baines
---------------Gerrard----Barkley--------------
Sterling----------Wilshere----------Rooney
--------------------Sturridge--------------------

Subs: Forster, Foster, Shaw, Jones, Caulker, Walker, Henderson, Carrick, Lallana, Oxlade Chamberlain, Welbeck, Rodriguez

Let Rooney float around where he wants, occasionally swapping with Sturridge to take up the central position. Gerrard to sit deep to try and protect the terrible defence. Barkley and Wilshere to press high like Hendo and Coutinho do for us.

In fact, I've pretty much just copied how Rodgers has us playing now. *shrugs*

I'd want us to play youth wherever possible to build for future tournaments. Luckily we've got the ideal manager for that.

So Wilshere, Barkley, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain should all start if possible. Maybe Sterling too if he keeps his form up. Gerrard can play the holding role.

Hart Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole Gerrard Wilshire Sterling Townsend Rooney Sturridge

Subs Forster Ruddy Baines Walker Smalling Jones Henderson Barkley Young Chamberlain Carroll Wellbeck

GK - Hart, Foster, Forster.

Def - Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Shaw, Johnson, Walker, Smalling, Jones.

Mid - Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley, Sterling, Lallana, Ox/Townsend.

For - Sturridge, Rooney, Lambert, Welbeck.

Lampard just no way, can't think of 1 good reason to take him.

Carrick shouldn't go either but most likely will, if he goes over Henderson or Barkley that would be a farce, Jones is extra cover in centre midfield if needs must.

Lallana and Sterling just have to go, Ox or Townsend is a toss up, wouldn't mind both going but not sure how that can be done.

Strikers pick themsleves, Welbeck is depressing but hes mostly done well for England and it would be harsh on him, Jay Rodriguez, unlucky unless he really tears it up so you can't leave him out, Lambert deserves it and adds something different.

Johnson and Walker are the best of a bad bunch at right back, wouldn't mind Clyne in there but he cant get back in the Saints team ahead of Chambers atm.

-----------------Hart--------------------
Jagielka----Jones----Smalling---Baines
---------------Carrick---------------------
----------Lampard--Cleverley---------

----Rooney-----Lambert------Welbeck----

I will support Suarez over whatever collection of stupid xenophobic homo erectus the FA and Roy put together.

My prediction is: 3 games, 2 defeats and 1 god help them after that brutal beating of a lifetime

If Hodgson were tactically astute (Hahahaha), he'd play similarly to how Rodgers did against Arsenal & Everton.

Sit back, play from the back & suck the other team in, don't press as high & play on the break.

That way he make the most of the pace available up front & down the wings, which is England's greatest strength & it also allows the team to perform in what will be very tiring conditions, whilst exhausting the other side.

He's a neanderthal though, so he'll play lampard alongside stevie & we'll be physically outplayed in almost every match.

GK: Hart Foster Forster

Def: Johnson, Flanagan, Caulker, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Shaw

Mid: Gerrard, Henderson, Barkley, Wilshere, Ox-Chamberlain, Sterling, Lallana,

For: Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Carroll, Rodriguez

I will support Suarez over whatever collection of stupid xenophobic homo erectus the FA and Roy put together.

My prediction is: 3 games, 2 defeats and 1 god help them after that brutal beating of a lifetime

If I am not mistaken you are American (or living in the USA) are you not ? Then that would explain choosing Suarez over Stevie G.'s swansong (and the other Liverpool players in the squad).

If I am not mistaken you are American (or living in the USA) are you not ? Then that would explain choosing Suarez over Stevie G.'s swansong (and the other Liverpool players in the squad).

No you're mistaken. I just prefer the past and history, and supporting players like Suarez is more representative of England's history. If I were to cheer for the current national team it'd feel like an insult to that past which is far more important to me than seeing Gerrard drag the shower of cunts to a trophy.

Froggie. I am an American. Why would this explain choosing Suarez over Stevie G. And any other number of players?
I just get frustrated about how being American seems to "explain" all manner of silly shit. So do tell.

Froggie. I am an American. Why would this explain choosing Suarez over Stevie G. And any other number of players?
I just get frustrated about how being American seems to "explain" all manner of silly shit. So do tell.

You only said that because you're American

Ooh touchy. I thought Dante was American. If I thought he was German then I would have said that being German explains it (i.e. it was not to do with being a specific nationality but rather being non-English). Why would you support England in the WC if you are American ? Your loyalties can be split with a clean conscience.

Why would you support England in the WC if you are American ? Your loyalties can be split with a clean conscience.
I have dual nationality.
But the point is - why would being an American make one support Suarez (who is Uruguayan) over Stevie?
I'm just saying that your original assumption about dantes' nationality is totally flawed.

I have dual nationality.
But the point is - why would being an American make one support Suarez (who is Uruguayan) over Stevie?
I'm just saying that your original assumption about dantes' nationality is totally flawed.
No, it's not. If you are not English then there is no compulsion to support your home country (and Stevie) and you could support your favourite Liverpool player no matter who they played for.

No, it's not. If you are not English then there is no compulsion to support your home country (and Stevie) and you could support your favourite Liverpool player no matter who they played for.
Aye okay I get your point.
Perhaps I just didn't like to think dantes was American.
We already have way too many nutters.

------------------------Forster-----------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
------------------Jagielka----Cahill-----------------
----Walker------------------------------Baines----
---------------Gerrard-------------------------------
-------------------------------Henderson-----------
-------------------------Rooney---------------------
----Sterling-------------------------------Lallana---
--------------------Sturridge-------------------------

Subs:
Gk: Hart, + another token goalie (George Long/Butland)
Def: Clyne, Caulker, Jones, Shaw
Mid: Wilshere, Barkley
Winger: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Johnson
Striker: Lambert, Rodriguez

Knowing Podge Hodge it'll have the likes of Smalling, Cleverley, Carrick, Lampard, Milner, Lennon, Young, Wellbeck.

GK - Hart, Forster, Darlow
Def - Clyne, Glenjo, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Cole, Lescott*, Shawcross* (*I don't rate Smalling or Jones)
Mid - Sterling, Gerrard, Henderson, Milner, Ox-Chamberlain, Lallana, Wilshere, Nolan
For - Rooney, Sturridge, Carroll, Ings

.......................Hart........................
Glenjo.....Cahill....Jagielka....Cole
............Gerrard...Henderson.......
....Sterling....Rooney...Ox-Chamberlain
.......................Sturridge....................

.......................Gerrard ........................
Glenjo.....Glenjo....Gerrard....Gerrard
...........Henderson ...Henderson.......
....Sterling....Sterling...sterling
....................Sturridge....................

@Pesam

Very surprised not to see the likes of Barkley, Walker, Shaw & Carrick on your list !

N.B. Mods - often getting quotes not showing and/or my post being blank.

If Hodgson were tactically astute (Hahahaha), he'd play similarly to how Rodgers did against Arsenal & Everton.

Sit back, play from the back & suck the other team in, don't press as high & play on the break.

I'm pretty sure that's more or less what he did when he was in charge of and he was lambasted for it.

I'm pretty sure that's more or less what he did when he was in charge of and he was lambasted for it.

He tried, but he bought the likes of konchesky to bring it it out, Poulsen to play long balls quickly & Joe Cole to attack with it! He also thought the way you get it to work was to sit Cole on the halfway line ready to run, instead of swapping positions & creating space with movement.

The tactic works much better when you have the players to do it, teach (or give them the confidence to) them how to pass under pressure, how to drag players out of position & crucially, would be ideal for a hot climate as you'll be expending less energy than the opposition.

Anything with Cashley in it will be a disaster. But look at the positive side of it when they can enjoy the girls and beaches in Rio earliest possible after the World Cup begin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom