• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool FC open fresh talks with Steve Clarke as Real Madrid circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
by Richard Buxton. Published Tue 19 Apr 2011 23:34, Last updated: 2011-04-19

Liverpool have opened talks with first-team coach Steve Clarke over a three-year contract.

Fenway Sports Group, the club's owners, are keen to hand the former Chelsea and West Ham assistant a contract beyond the current season following the strides the Reds' side have made following his arrival in January, just days after Kenny Dalglish was appointed caretaker manager.

Principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner are particularly eager to offer Clarke, 48, a long-term deal with Jose Mourinho hopeful of luring him to Real Madrid.

The pair worked together during the self-styled Special One's three-year stay as manager at Stamford Bridge, where they won two Premier League titles, one FA Cup and two League Cups.

But Clarke, speaking earlier today, was full of praise for Dalglish for his man management skills with youngsters John Flanagan and Jack Robinson during Liverpool's draw with Arsenal on Sunday and expressed his desire to help his fellow Scot continue to revive fortunes at Anfield.

He said: "Before Jack went on Kenny was making a joke and trying to relax him going onto the pitch.

"Obviously it's a very nerve-racking moment for a young player and Kenny was trying to take the edge out of the situation. It was the same with John.

"When you've got someone as experienced as Kenny who says the right words at the right time, it can only help.

"Every manager I've worked with - you pick up good qualities from all of them and so far, in a short space of time, I've seen a lot of great qualities from Kenny.

“I hope to continue the work into the future."

I hope he sticks around.

It's almost impossible for a fan to judge the backroom team with any real insight, but what we've got is obviously working well and the players are full of nothing but praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom