• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Damn Fucking Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Excuse the blunt title, it's good to read though, because in my eyes (and most of ours) Pepe Reina is by far the best keeper in the league, He and Casillas are the best keepers in the world. Simple.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165546090824-1019.htm

BENITEZ: PEPE IS THE COMPLETE 'KEEPER

Rafa Benitez believes Pepe Reina will play an integral part in Liverpool's title bid this season - and has backed the 'complete goalkeeper' to once again claim his share of assists along the way.
The Spaniard has enjoyed a fine start to the 2009-10 campaign and turned out a man of the match performance in the opening day clash with Tottenham Hotspur.

Benitez feels Reina's excellent from has underlined his credentials as the best goalkeeper in the Barclays Premier League, and says the custodian's unique penchant for creating chances for the Reds' forward line also makes him something of an attacking threat.

"Pepe is the best in the Premier League for me. He is the number one," said the boss.

"He is good with the ball, good in possession and he is good at organising the defenders and so he can help them. He can also start the counter-attacks. He is the complete goalkeeper.

"He is very important for us in attacking terms. He is a threat to defences because when you have Torres and Pepe together you know as a defender you cannot be watching the game. Pepe can give assists.

"He works hard on his kicking and you can see how good he is. He has a very good mentality and is always joking so his teammates are happy with him.

"When you talk about goalkeepers their job has changed. Before it was just being in the six-yard box saving shots. Now they have to be reading the game and the goalkeeper is now the sweeper.

"It is not easy for him with Spain because Casillas is doing so well, but for the level Pepe is he could play for any other country."

Benitez added: "A goalkeeper can win you the title definitely. When you are attacking all the time, he might have one save to make and that can be the difference.

"The keeper is really a key player, think of Schmeichel and Van der Sar last season for Manchester United."

Reina was largely unemployed in last Wednesday's comprehensive 4-0 victory over Stoke City at Anfield, though the 26-year-old did produce a fantastic flying save to thwart Rory Delap in the early stages of the second period.

"We have fantastic keepers in England but at a top side like Liverpool it is very, very difficult because normally they are not involved in the game too much," continued Benitez.

"To see Pepe at this level from the beginning of the season is really good for us.

"He is a player who needs to be focused and concentrated because he has one or two saves to make in a game.

"He started very well against Tottenham and the other day the save from Delap against Stoke was fantastic and he dealt very well with the throw-ins.

"I think he was really good when we signed him but he now has more experience and knows exactly the style of English football. He is working hard with Xavi Valero (goalkeeping coach), he is more mature.

"He has the same qualities, but because he is more mature he is relaxed and he can make better decisions."

I hope we're trying to tie him down to a long contract. It's been a nice change having a keeper you can count on.

The best I can remember seeing in our team. Brucie was on his way out when I started going the match, but I would have Pepe above him anyway.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=35430.msg931247#msg931247 date=1251126990]
He's brilliant. I'm pleasantly amazed that Barca haven't tried to sign him this summer.

[/quote]

I keep praying he doesnt get plaudits, cos I'm worried he'll go, he is simply incredible consistent, a great all rounder & has the greatest facet a keeper can have, he gets his chin up & plays like nothing happened when he's fucked up, which he does rarely. That's as rare as rocking horse shit in a keeper.

Best keeper I've known at Anfield by a long way.

I hope he stays forever but he'll spend his 30's in Spain, I'm sure of it.

With his build he won't be half the keeper he is now when he's in his thirties.

I'm okay with him heading to Spain then

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=35430.msg931355#msg931355 date=1251133179]
[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=35430.msg931247#msg931247 date=1251126990]
He's brilliant. I'm pleasantly amazed that Barca haven't tried to sign him this summer.

[/quote]

I keep praying he doesnt get plaudits, cos I'm worried he'll go, he is simply incredible consistent, a great all rounder & has the greatest facet a keeper can have, he gets his chin up & plays like nothing happened when he's fucked up, which he does rarely. That's as rare as rocking horse shit in a keeper.
[/quote]

tis the price of success, if we have another good season the bastards will be queuing up to take our players again. they didnt want em when we were scraping 4th..

He'll end up at A.Madrid eventually... he's already said as much. I just hope it doesn't happen for many years yet because he's a fantastic asset to the club and would be incredibly hard to replace.

Glad to see Rafa giving him some praise. He deserves it, particularly given his early season form.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=35430.msg931364#msg931364 date=1251134028]
He'll end up at A.Madrid eventually... he's already said as much. I just hope it doesn't happen for many years yet because he's a fantastic asset to the club and would be incredibly hard to replace.

Glad to see Rafa giving him some praise. He deserves it, particularly given his early season form.

[/quote]

Atletico? I thought he began his career at Barca - wouldn't it make more sense for him to go back there? He's miles better than Victor Valdes.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=35430.msg931362#msg931362 date=1251133898]
With his build he won't be half the keeper he is now when he's in his thirties.

I'm okay with him heading to Spain then
[/quote]

Neville Southall did alright.

[quote author=jan link=topic=35430.msg931416#msg931416 date=1251136899]
In June 2007, Reina signed a new deal five-year deal at Liverpool.

Says the official.
[/quote]

Must be just about the right time for a small pay increase and another 2 years on that then !

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=35430.msg931369#msg931369 date=1251134783]
His dad played for Atletico.
[/quote]

Yeah, but they're not very good. Barca would be a more obvious choice, surely?

[quote author=Paddy link=topic=35430.msg931366#msg931366 date=1251134196]
Cue Reina having a fucking stinker tonight.
[/quote]

2nd yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom