• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Barry hits back @ Rafa's rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

6TimesaRed

Not a Bot....
Administrator
Gareth Barry has accused Rafa Benitez of a lack of respect after the Liverpool manager questioned the motives behind his move to Manchester City.

The England midfielder left Aston Villa for Eastlands earlier this summer having come close to joining the Anfield outfit last year, only for the deal to fall through.

Barry had previously claimed he was eager to play UEFA Champions League football, but City will have no involvement in continental competition this year, which led to Benitez suggesting his decision was purely financial.

The left-sided ace is adamant that the money on offer from the cash-rich Eastlands outfit did not sway him, and he was more impressed by City's desire to bring him on board as they look to challenge the established hierarchy in English football.

"I found Rafa Benitez's comments a bit disrespectful," Barry told the Daily Telegraph.

"By that stage my decision was made and people should move on. There was genuine interest from Liverpool and I think he's probably just upset I chose City.

"I've been in the Premier League for 10 years, more, and the money I've been paid is phenomenal compared to your average, everyday working man. You live and work away from normal life anyway, so money's not a big factor.

"The difference was that City made me feel wanted. Liverpool had a chance to buy me last season but failed to pay the money, and only found it this year when they knew someone else had reached an agreement."

Barry admitted the collapse of his proposed move to Anfield last summer made his return to Villa Park a trying time and accused the Reds of making 'excuses' over their failure to complete the deal.

He added: "There was a feeling of being let down. Excuses were made about things going on behind the scenes and in the boardroom, but I came out of it looking like a bad person.

"It took a long time for me to get back into the squad at Villa afterwards. It was tough to deal with.

"That's why there's nothing better than a club making you feel wanted and getting a deal done in days.

"It's not about money, it's about the chance to be part of something big from the very beginning at a club who really want you."

He's not suited to this sort of thing. It's like trying to make a cardigan look dangerous. He should shut up.

[quote author=gkmacca link=topic=34773.msg907854#msg907854 date=1247913416]
He's not suited to this sort of thing. It's like trying to make a cardigan look dangerous. He should shut up.
[/quote]

is a quite pathetic explanation though.. I have to admit...

violins anyone ??

I don't think people should make light of how dangerous cardigans really are. I still haven't fully recovered from my run in with one of them tightly knitted fekers.

I think they're upset I chose City.

Yeah, let's I play for a shite club for 50 years and appear the pillar of loyalty. Then sign for Man fucking City at 28yrs of age, a team that haven't even qualified for Europe, over LIVERPOOL.

Mediocre, smalltime, money-grabbing Cunt.

If I were a footballer at 28 years of age (and had no loyalty towards a specific club) and a premier league club run by a multi billionaire offered me over 100k per week, I'd choose them over a CL team any day.
That's my life sorted after I retire in 5 years. Earning twice the amount of money you'd earn anywhere else is a big deal and it's not like he chose to go to the middle east to play. He's still in england and will be playing alongside Tevez and Robinho.
He chose the money, and I say fair play to him. It is pitiful however how he's trying to convince us that it wasn't the money, but whatever.

Your life would be sorted anyway, on the wages you'd get from the club in the CL. Chasing even more money, when you could have a shedload anyway AND compete at the highest possible level, is greed pure and simple.

Agree with your last sentence though.

The abuse Barry is receiving is uncalled for.  

He's only defending himself against Rafa's criticism, which many on here thought was unneeded, and I doubt would have been made had Alonso not been seeking a move to Madrid.

It isn't the fact that he replied that's attracting the stick, so much as the (rather disingenuous) content of what he said.

Neither he nor Rafa have covered themselves in glory.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34773.msg907933#msg907933 date=1247920582]
Your life would be sorted anyway, on the wages you'd get from the club in the CL. Chasing even more money, when you could have a shedload anyway AND compete at the highest possible level, is greed pure and simple.

[/quote]

I'm greedy so I see his point (and would do the same).
Let's face it, it's not like he was going to gain legendary status at Liverpool, nor would he be guaranteed to play in a high percentage of games after a couple of seasons when he's in his 30's. I'd rather be on twice the amount of money if I was going to be sitting on the bench.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34773.msg907939#msg907939 date=1247920868]
It isn't the fact that he replied that's attracting the stick, so much as the (rather disingenuous) content of what he said.

[/quote]

We pretty much hung him out to dry last season, and he's been far more dignified to our club in response than people have on here.

We clearly didn't move in for him until late this summer - maybe not until we knew Alonso wanted to leave - and by that time City has already swung him.

There was far more to this than money, as well you all know.

If City had already swung him, he didn't make that clear at the time. Certainly there was more to it than just money, but that equally certainly was a factor. As well you know.

[quote author=juniormember link=topic=34773.msg907940#msg907940 date=1247920897]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34773.msg907933#msg907933 date=1247920582]

[/quote]

I'm greedy so I see his point (and would do the same).
Let's face it, it's not like he was going to gain legendary status at Liverpool, nor would he be guaranteed to play in a high percentage of games after a couple of seasons when he's in his 30's. I'd rather be on twice the amount of money if I was going to be sitting on the bench.

[/quote]

where are you getting the figure of twice as much from? isn't he on about £100k a week there, and i reckon he'd have got at least £70k a week here, so...

as far as i can see he's gone for a little bit more money (for someone who's already fabulously wealthy) over the chance to play for the big titles with us.

and if it wasn't just about money he would've just stayed at villa, surely.

Not if he's serious about going for the big prizes, I wouldn't have thought. At least at Citeh he can point to the cash flooding into the club and argue that they're on the threshhold of competing with the current top four.

Why should he have to? He owes us fuck-all.

Like he said, City moved like lightning and surprised everyone.

If we were in for Barry, regardless of the Alonso situation, we were well and truly beaten.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34773.msg907953#msg907953 date=1247921889]
Not if he's serious about going for the big prizes, I wouldn't have thought. At least at Citeh he can point to the cash flooding into the club and argue that they're on the threshhold of competing with the current top four.
[/quote]

sure, he can point to that. that doesn't mean he genuinely believes it.

he went for the money, 100%, rafa was right.

Barry can fuck right off.

All this talk about lookign after his best interests is bollocks.

He wanted champions league football and said so on many occassions, he is now just another money grabbing cunt and I hope City end up outside the top 6, they are the new Chelsea.

It sounds a reasonable defence to an unwarranted attack from Rafa.... having said that it was hardly a scathing attack the press threw in the epithets to the headlines....

He doesnt owe Liverpool anything and we did fuck him around big time last season thanks to our wonderful transfer team ( thank god we've got that sorted out now!) TBH if somebody was committed and wanted me to play for them and were signing in good player after good player..... AND offering me a shitload of money at the end of my career.

No brainer.

Its also apparent from the sheer amount of money they are spending that they will be genuine title contenders in the next few seasons whether we kid ourselves that they wont or not. maybe even this season seeing as none of the big four are actually strengthening.

They won't be challenging for the title until they get a decent manager, Hughes and his 2 1 7 formation can do one.

sour grapes from rafa and barry sticks 2 fingers up in response. i just hope barry doesn't win the premier league before rafa does.

Fcuk off, Barry.

Have the balls to say it WAS about the money. That's all.

Because last year you were telling anybody who would listen that it was about playing in the top flight of European Football...

In an ideal world, he would have held out for Liverpool and he would have replaced Alonso with Rafa pocketing a £20mln profit for someone like Silva, but .......... its not an ideal world.

[quote author=Rory Fitzgerald link=topic=34773.msg908093#msg908093 date=1247949758]
In an ideal world, he would have held out for Liverpool and he would have replaced Alonso with Rafa pocketing a £20mln profit for someone like Silva, but .......... its not an ideal world.

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

[quote author=rage link=topic=34773.msg908009#msg908009 date=1247936133]
sour grapes from rafa and barry sticks 2 fingers up in response.
[/quote]

x2

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=34773.msg907947#msg907947 date=1247921305]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34773.msg907939#msg907939 date=1247920868]

[/quote]

We pretty much hung him out to dry last season, and he's been far more dignified to our club in response than people have on here.

We clearly didn't move in for him until late this summer - maybe not until we knew Alonso wanted to leave - and by that time City has already swung him.

There was far more to this than money, as well you all know.
[/quote]

Exactly so, he went right out on a limb for us and we would not go the extra mile, and left him in an invidious position, but that was partly of his own making.
I don't blame him for a response at all, and I suppose in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies " he would say that wouldn't he?"
I would have been happy with Barry , the money was stupid, but at the time so was £15m for Xabi.
It obviously is about the money, and if we thought he was leaving Villa just to play for us then we are deluded that was all about the money too, but with a bit of an added bonus - he could justify it.
If it wasn't about the money he could have put a written transfer request in to Villa sealed the move and given up his £3m "loyalty " bonus. Which was the real issue that stuck in MO'N's throat.
It is about the money and who can blame him, that's up to him. He might look back on it and wish he hadn't, but who knows.
Glen Johnston is a lucky lad, he learned from his mistakes, while he was young enough.

regards

Vlad not only looks like Dave Gilmour, he sounds like him these days. I can just imagine him: 'Look, Roger, stop phoning. It is not going to happen. This Floyd reunion. Now leave me alone. I am due to take tea, and then tour the poor people in my outlying bungalows...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom