• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I'm going to be totally gutted if don't get Bellingham and doubly so if he goes to City or United. Superb player.

Few points.

Whoever said the world cup is boring... it's had all the ingredients.

Political uproar with the one love/LGBTI migrant stuff, it's highlighted the East v West discussions. Like it or not it's created plenty of controversy and discussions.
Plenty of shock results big teams losing games early on.
Seen an emergence.. or maybe at least some kind or rising of, or balancing out of the European/SA dominance.
Loving that lot from Belgium sniping at each other constantly.
We've had some great high scoring games, some great goals, last minute winners etc.

I mean what more do you want!? and genuinely today was the first time I managed to sit and watch 90minutes.

England were actually decent when they turned it on today in the second half, esp Jude.
Southgate starting Walker ahead of Trent is a joke

Few points.

Political uproar with the one love/LGBTI migrant stuff, it's highlighted the East v West discussions. Like it or not it's created plenty of controversy and discussions.
Seen an emergence.. or maybe at least some kind or rising of, or balancing out of the European/SA dominance.
We've had some great high scoring games, some great goals, last minute winners etc.

I mean what more do you want!? and genuinely today was the first time I managed to sit and watch 90minutes.

England were actually decent when they turned it on today in the second half, esp Jude.

No its not a joke actually anymore. I am telling you TAA ain't right in the head now when it comes to defending, his whole posture looks wrong, I actually always thought that when he is asked to defend more - he did it superbly in one on one situations against the best, and a few years ago the best were the likes of Rashford, and Sane. But this season - I don't know what it is - its like he struggles to get back, and man-handles many of the players as part of his defending.

We’re probably admiring the heir to De Bruyne in Bellingham, he’d have to reaaaaaally want a move to Liverpool. Thought he paired up with hendo well also.

Few points.

Nope sorry not for me. Didn’t bother to watch any matches yesterday. Couldn’t be arsed, even if Ingerlund qualified which tbh you’d have to be utterly shite not to win against one of the worst team, if not, the worst team of the WC.

But we oldies know the familiar script. They’ll likely win the next match or maybe two. And the media will whip up a national frenzy that football might, just might, be coming home (for the millionth time). Then they will get knocked out on penalties in the quarters or semis. Awww. Shame. Again.

Who’s gonna be the fall guy this time in penalty shootouts ? Sterling ? Those boys are gonna be bricking it, you can bet they will be practicing hours and hours on penalty kicks now.

Nope sorry not for me. Didn’t bother to watch any matches yesterday. Couldn’t be arsed, even if Ingerlund qualified which tbh you’d have to be utterly shite not to win against one of the worst team, if not, the worst team of the WC.

But we oldies know the familiar script. They’ll likely win the next match or maybe two. And the media will whip up a national frenzy that football might, just might, be coming home (for the millionth time). Then they will get knocked out on penalties in the quarters or semis. Awww. Shame. Again.

Who’s gonna be the fall guy this time in penalty shootouts ? Sterling ? Those boys are gonna be bricking it, you can bet they will be practicing hours and hours on penalty kicks now.
Quarter finals of either France or Argentina as it stands.

Both are too good for Southgates England.

We’re probably admiring the heir to De Bruyne in Bellingham, he’d have to reaaaaaally want a move to Liverpool. Thought he paired up with hendo well also.
Bellingham, Hendo (who had an excellent game) and Philips (I liked him more than Rice) worked really well together for the last 20-30 mins or whatever it was.

Quarter finals of either France or Argentina as it stands.

Both are too good for Southgates England.
France look excellent - in fact the best team by far I've seen so far. I may switch : originally I was tipping Brazil - then I went to Portugal - now it may be France.

Bellingham, Hendo (who had an excellent game) and Philips (I liked him more than Rice) worked really well together for the last 20-30 mins or whatever it was.

This is all about England. England doesn't = the world cup.

England are shit and won't win, I can agree with that, and all the above re England.
My point is, the world cup is what it's supposed to be. lot's of drama, upsets, some decent football, some woeful football, some great goals, controversy, VAR, ghost headers, talking points, politics etc.

I do agree there's a distinct lack of world-class players at this WC. There are usually one or two sides, be it Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina, Spain, France, that are stacked with insane talent, but I don't see anything like that this year. 2 of the 3 forwards starting for the tournament favourites were playing for Everton and Leeds last year!

Anyway, I've got France and Brazil down for the final, but I don't think either are miles better than anyone else. An off day for either could easily result in an upset.

I think there is a bit of a generational change of top talents, as messi is past it, ronaldo too.

there are some young ones coming through like musiala, enzo fernandez, gavi/pedri or what the are called, and some like vinicius jr who are a bit further along

then there is mbappe, who is taking over from the worlds best

There’s not one player that has blown me away yet, that made me jump up from my sofa and go damnnnnn.

Too much technical football, too little flair.

I see the English press are getting loud now.
The English defense is shit through, and will be found out.

Has there ever been a world cup where the greatest players truly shone, though?

Generally, World Cups seem to be where flair players go to die. Messi and CR7 do fuck all every four years. The world cup is about bravery, determination, nerves. And controversy.

Generally, World Cups seem to be where flair players go to die. Messi and CR7 do fuck all every four years. The world cup is about bravery, determination, nerves. And controversy.

You’ve obviously forgotten about ‘86 then.

Conor Coady on Jordan Henderson's relationship with Jude Bellingham:

“He looks after Jude like there is no tomorrow. Jude is a young lad, sometimes we forget that because he is so mature and a fantastic footballer."

"He said something the other day about his mum making his bed, no word of a lie. We are talking about Jude Bellingham here, one of the best players in the world, and Hendo sat up at dinner and went 'what?’"

"And Jude went ‘yeah, my mum makes my bed’, so Hendo is battering him. I would say someone like Henderson and [Kyle] Walker set the example."

Maradona's Hand of God WC. And Pele, Jairzinho etc. in 1970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom