• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What next for Adam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
Coming off the back of a mixed season last year, I feel Lallana has a bit to prove now.

I don't think he'll ever live up to the pricetag, but the price is largely irrelevant now. He's here to stay and we need to figure out how you make the best of the situation.

With Ibe and Markovic likely to kick on and get more game time, Coutinho set to shine again and the arrival of a
options like Firmino, Milner, Ings and Origi I feel like he might get squeezed out of the team.

Given the investment in him I think it's incumbent on Rodgers to salvage something out of this signing.

So with that all said, I feel like Lallana could be reinvented. I feel like without pace and agility it can be more difficult for a player of Lallanas ability to be really effective in the final third. But could we play him deeper?

Could we reinvent him as a poor man's Pirlo?

I think he's got the passing, close control and vision to be able to play that role reasonably well. I'd certainly rather him on the ball in midfield instead of Allen or Lucas. Is this the way to maximise the return on our investment in him?

I think he still has a lot to offer, injuries held him back a fair amount last season, preventing him from ever building up any momentum. Still managed to get 5 goals and 3 assists from 27 games, which considering the £50million wonder-kid who played mostly upfront made only 7 and 7 in more games, isn't too shabby. (God we were shit last season) He won't be an automatic starter this season, but he'll definitely have more than enough chances, and I think if anything, the competition for places will make him better. Hopefully he'll get a good preseason this time, and be ready to go as the season starts.

I'd sooner sell him that reinvent him. The players will see himself in his prime and I'd question his motivaton to learn a completely new role in the side. He'll continue to be an AM either starting or off the bench. He deserves another season with a proper striker to prove his worth. Whilst he hasn't lived up to his value so far I still think he can be a valuable player for us in the final third. He's very talented.

There's no redeeming this one. And like you say, he won't be sold now. That means a season on the bench (if that) and then being sold for a whacking great loss next summer.

And surely you need *some* kind of physicality to play deep midfield in the PL?

There's no redeeming this one. And like you say, he won't be sold now. That means a season on the bench (if that) and then being sold for a whacking great loss next summer.

And surely you need *some* kind of physicality to play deep midfield in the PL?

I think you need it to play everywhere in the Premiership but if there's a position you can get away without it I think it's deep midfield.

We've used Lucas there who has nothing, no pace, no strength. We used the artist formerly known as Steven Gerrard too, with mixed results. I think Lallana would be an immediate upgrade there.

If we were to have him deep with Milner and Henderson, it has potential to be a balanced midfield.

I don't think he has the ability for the long pass - so it limits his ability to be effective as a Pirlo type playmaker.

I think you need it to play everywhere in the Premiership but if there's a position you can get away without it I think it's deep midfield.

We've used Lucas there who has nothing, no pace, no strength. We used the artist formerly known as Steven Gerrard too, with mixed results. I think Lallana would be an immediate upgrade there.

If we were to have him deep with Milner and Henderson, it has potential to be a balanced midfield.

Lucas at least has the defensive instinct to track runners etc.

I think Lallana would be a disaster in holding midfield! His instincts are all wrong - he likes to give and go, he likes to do Cruyff turns, and ihe has no long passing game - imagine him doing that shit in the centre of the park. And he'd be floppier than Joe Allen. The only way of redeeming this is to continue playing him at AM - in a free flowing attack, he'll score about 10 a season. Some of these will be stat-stuffing goals, but that's about the best value we'll get Lallana.

Reactions: ILD
Even in an injury-plagued season, he still contributed 5 goals and assisted 3 times in the league, which is the same number of goals as, and just 2 assists shy of, Coutinho in 1,000 fewer minutes.

I like him. He's a good player held back by injuries last season, and I still feel and expect him to come good next season - that is, if he can just stay fit for more games. He's a skilful player, has a good touch, quick on the turn, can pick a pass and make a run into the box, etc. but he really needs to toughen up and be able to take knocks better. He probably won't improve on the latter at this stage of the career unfortunately. We overpaid, but he won't end up being a bust like Downing, or the other Adam.

Even in an injury-plagued season, he still contributed 5 goals and assisted 3 times in the league, which is the same number of goals as, and just 2 assists shy of, Coutinho in 1,000 fewer minutes.

I like him. He's a good player held back by injuries last season, and I still feel and expect him to come good next season - that is, if he can just stay fit for more games. He's a skilful player, has a good touch, quick on the turn, can pick a pass and make a run into the box, etc. but he really needs to toughen up and be able to take knocks better. He probably won't improve on the latter at this stage of the career unfortunately. We overpaid, but he won't end up being a bust like Downing, or the other Adam.

What's the point of all this when he won't get near the side? Firmino and Coutinho are both better and never seem to get injured. I think Ibe is already a better player, too. Markovic isn't far off and has waaaay more potential. Then we've got 3 new strikers coming in on top.

Let's face it. The guy's a spare part.

What's the point of all this when he won't get near the side? Firmino and Coutinho are both better and never seem to get injured. I think Ibe is already a better player, too. Markovic isn't far off and has waaaay more potential. Then we've got 3 new strikers coming in on top.

Let's face it. The guy's a spare part.

We have the Europa League next season, and other players will suffer dips in form, he'll have more than enough opportunities.

I think one of his biggest weaknesses which you fail to mention is that he slows us down far too often on fast breaks - he'll get the ball, do a few lovely turns, and then hold the ball. Maybe it's because he had no real strikers ahead of him with pace (or desire to move ** mario **), but it's something I saw often.

I still like him. Unfortunately for him the 25mil price tag will always hang over his head. Can play anywhere across the attacking midfield positions and he can score goals. Will be interesting to see who has more influence and gametime alongside the Brazilians between him, Ibe and Markovic.

But it does beg the question - It's clear to all of us that the lad needs about 6 weeks on a bulk up mission, hitting the weights. In this day and age with the right supplements and diet anyone can actually transform their strength levels in a couple of months. Why is it so hard for lightweight footballers and their trainers to get this right? Especially considering all the time on their hands.

The problem he had last year is he didn't have suarez. We let all the other AMs off coz we'd seen them with a suarez and knew they were ok if they only had one.

He'll get plenty of starts cos Rodgers is a knobhead. But the sensible thing is to sell him.

If we are playing with three in behind, an injury to Coutinho or Firmino and all of a sudden we are looking very short. Considering we are selling Sterling, we have a good number of players to positions in attacking midfield, it's upfront where we are probably over stocked, signing Ings when we already have Origi makes no sense.

If we are playing with three in behind, an injury to Coutinho or Firmino and all of a sudden we are looking very short. Considering we are selling Sterling, we have a good number of players to positions in attacking midfield, it's upfront where we are probably over stocked, signing Ings when we already have Origi makes no sense.

I read elsewhere we're going to have a look at Origi in pre-season and consider finding him a good loan if he looks too far away from the first team.

I read elsewhere we're going to have a look at Origi in pre-season and consider finding him a good loan if he looks too far away from the first team.

Makes sense, I hope we can loan him to a premier league club.

I still like him. Unfortunately for him the 25mil price tag will always hang over his head. Can play anywhere across the attacking midfield positions and he can score goals. Will be interesting to see who has more influence and gametime alongside the Brazilians between him, Ibe and Markovic.

But it does beg the question - It's clear to all of us that the lad needs about 6 weeks on a bulk up mission, hitting the weights. In this day and age with the right supplements and diet anyone can actually transform their strength levels in a couple of months. Why is it so hard for lightweight footballers and their trainers to get this right? Especially considering all the time on their hands.

Because we train them like marathon runners.

And they focus on injury prevention from what I can see, rather than strength and conditioning.

Who's to say we're playing 3 in behind.

If we've got Sturridge, Ings, Origi, and new striker, don't you think it's more likely that we'll be playing 2 up or a proper front 3?

In a 442 diamond Lallana would be competing for one spot with Coutinho plus at least 2 others. And I don't really see him fitting into a front 3 at all.

If we've got Sturridge, Ings, Origi, and new striker, don't you think it's more likely that we'll be playing 2 up or a proper front 3?

In a 442 diamond Lallana would be competing for one spot with Coutinho plus at least 2 others. And I don't really see him fitting into a front 3 at all.

Yes, we'd be overstocked in a 442 diamond, but I doubt we'll play that way. In both the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 systems there are 3 places for most of those players, so we'll be fine.

Is this new striker a myth or what? Coz I'm shitting myself about it. Forget Origi, Balotelli and Borini, they're all shit from what I can see... This Ings chap... Is there any danger of him being good enough? 1 in 3 for Burnley seems dead good for a kid but I haven't watched him enough to know if he can fit in.

I've got no idea what formation we're playing, but I'm pretty sure if we're getting shut of people those shit strikers need to go first.

That's how I see it.

He's no more than backup at the minute and as I predicted before I think he's championship material in a couple of years unless something changes dramatically - hence the position change suggestion.

Yes, we'd be overstocked in a 442 diamond, but I doubt we'll play that way. In both the 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 systems there are 3 places for most of those players, so we'll be fine.

I don't see where Lallana plays in a 433. He's not a front 3 player, he doesn't have the presence for it. The line up there would be something like Sturridge, new striker, Firmino. Then in reserve Origi, Ings, Ibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom