• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll What if...

Prefix for Poll Threads

What would happen if we added a senior CB in early January?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Let’s imagine an alternate universe where on January 1st we have signed one senior quality CB like Koulibaly or Caleta-Car and one understudy like Kabak. How would that change the trajectory of the season?

Or an attacker. We aren't conceding huge amounts, we are failing to score and thus putting ourselves under pressure when the odd counter attack by the opposition could put us to bed (knowing that best case scenario is we score 1).

Fabinho has missed 6 league games between end of January till March with his injuries – 3 of these games we've won. Hendo has missed 3 so far (2 losses, 1 win). Which is to say if the main rationale for buying a CB was to have the option of playing Hendo and Fabs in midfield, that option would have been only available in a limited number of games anyway. I think we would have been better off with a senior CB brought in early in January, no question – but this would not address other major factors behind our decline, such as the appalling lack of production from our front 3. Maybe a couple of losses would have been draws – in that case we would have been level on points with Spurs having played a game more, instead of 2 points behind them.

Who knows – I might be totally wrong and bringing in the right player in the right moment would have reinvigorated our campaign, but my best guess it would have just made the slide down a little more "gentle," but not alter the general direction.

For starters, we wouldn't have to move Henderson to CB.
Untitled.jpg

Matip wouldn't have to make 2 consecutive starts right after coming back from injury too. Might have avoided his latest injury.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's a stupid thing to do.

The frustrating thing about this whole crisis is that it was avoidable. We penny pinched with the squad for ages knowing that we have no way to cope with having to switch out key players due to either loss of form or injury. The scale of the crisis probably took everyone by surprise but it's been coming.

Another Jota type player in the summer and swift action in Jan would've seen us cope far better.

Ah well. Being our own worst enemy is the true Liverpool Way since the 90's.

Or - would we have been better off had we not signed Thiago & Jota?

Adding two new external players to midfield & attack has coincided with a downturn in effectiveness in both areas.

January was a bit too late to save the league challenge and Man City had that crazy winning run.

I still think playing Jota in that dead rubber match when he got injured cost us more than any decision this season.

Or - would we have been better off had we not signed Thiago & Jota?

Adding two new external players to midfield & attack has coincided with a downturn in effectiveness in both areas.

Honestly, what more could Jota have done? He's goal-scoring was phenomenal and largely carried us to the top of the league. His injury naturally damaged us, but I find any questioning of his signing a bit perverse. Thiago over a CB is certainly debatable, but the logic in the football community was that signing Thiago would confirm us as league champions for 2020/21, adding a layer of creativity and class to a work-horse midfield, to combat the low-block champions face each year. It made sense.

We've just needed more signings than we got, IMO. The lack of funds forces Klopp and Edwards to pick areas for neglect.

As for the poll question, top four hunt seems the most realistic. I'm convinced we didn't act until Fabinho went down. Minamino going away on loan to cover the Davies fee is no coincidence. There was zero money available to Klopp, who was facing a crisis, and we've pissed away CL qualification. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Thiago over a CB is certainly debatable, but the logic in the football community was that signing Thiago would confirm us as league champions for 2020/21, adding a layer of creativity and class to a work-horse midfield, to combat the low-block champions face each year. It made sense.

We've just needed more signings than we got, IMO. The lack of funds forces Klopp and Edwards to pick areas for neglect.

Yup, Thiago is a victim of circumstances.

Untitled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom