• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wernot gonna get him

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.sport1.de/transfermarkt/2020/02/fc-liverpool-will-timo-werner-verpflichten
[article]Liverpool have been handed a boost in their pursuit of Timo Werner with reports his release clause is significantly lower than originally claimed.

Werner has been linked with a move to the Reds and has launched a charm offensive by talking up Jurgen Klopp and his side.

It has been widely reported the in-demand striker would be available for a release clause of between £50million and £55million dependent upon the success of his current club, RB Leipzig, as long as it is triggered by the end of April.

But Sport1 have now claimed his release clause is actually worth just €30m (£25m) plus performance-based bonuses in news which will only increase levels of demand.

Numerous clubs have been linked with Werner, who scored in the Champions League against Tottenham last week and has 27 goals in 33 appearances this season.[/article]

Getting better by the week this.

All I remember about Werner is everyone saying he was amazing and about to be the next German great before the last World Cup. Talking about how Thomas Muller didn't have shit compared to this new kid and stuff like that, which I thought was kinda ridiculous but wanted to see how he does.

Turned out completely shit - but so did everyone in that team and he was 22 so I dunno. Not completely sold on him, Keita looked like a perfect midfielder from his Bundesliga stats and highlights too

The Firm reported months ago it was done & dusted.

I can understand why LFC are keeping it quiet, though - give Utd & Barcelona a glimmer of hope they can get him before inevitably crushing their souls into the dirt

Let's hope this is another example of unreliability on its part - whatever Werner's qualities, I would not be at all happy to see that swap take place.

Seem like they are quoting some Podcasts where it has been discussed. No quotes from people invovled in club or player.

Seem like they are quoting some Podcasts where it has been discussed. No quotes from people invovled in club or player.

i think i heard that mentioned on the guardian football weekly podcast but it wasn't discussed after, hopefully nonsense

Werner to replace Bobby? That aint happening, but i can see us consolidating Shaq and Big Div into Werner as we now also have Minamino.

And this thread title still makes me chuckle. Fantastic job.

https://statsbomb.com/2020/02/how-will-liverpool-ever-eventually-replace-roberto-firmino/
RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner has been linked to Liverpool for months now and could be a solid choice. Of players born in 1996 or later, only Kylian Mbappé has a higher non-penalty combined expected goals and expected goals assisted per 90 minutes in Europe’s top five leagues this season. Liverpool have also been linked to the Frenchmen but what could sway the decision is the approximately £50m release clause for Werner.
Roberto-Firmino-Premier-League-2019_2020.png

Werner’s xG output is greater than Firmino’s this season, as it was the season before. Werner’s xG numbers are consistently improving, with both his xG and xG assisted rising under Julian Nagelsmann. The forward has assisted 0.27 xG per 90 this season, while Firmino has around 0.20 per 90 for each of the last three seasons. Werner is more than just a goalscorer.

The question lies in his defensive contribution. Playing under managers like Ralf Rangnick, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Julian Nagelsmann, Werner isn’t a stranger to working hard out of possession, but isn’t as active as Firmino. The diagrams show Leipzig’s front-footed approach, as well as the difference in activity between the pair. Werner’s defensive activity is mainly focused on the wing, where he is asked to contribute, and to his credit he delivers.
Timo-Werner_Pressures_1.-Bundesliga_2019_2020-1.png

Firmino, on the other hand, is everywhere.
Roberto-Firmino_Pressures_Premier-League_2019_2020-1.png

It’s not to say that Werner couldn’t adapt, but despite his qualities, replacing Firmino with Werner will likely not result in a seamless transition. Werner might be a player who would benefit more from playing alongside Firmino than replacing him. A front three of Werner, Mané and Salah would be strong, but it would also be different — though this wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

https://statsbomb.com/2020/02/how-will-liverpool-ever-eventually-replace-roberto-firmino/
RB Leipzig’s Timo Werner has been linked to Liverpool for months now and could be a solid choice. Of players born in 1996 or later, only Kylian Mbappé has a higher non-penalty combined expected goals and expected goals assisted per 90 minutes in Europe’s top five leagues this season. Liverpool have also been linked to the Frenchmen but what could sway the decision is the approximately £50m release clause for Werner.

Werner’s xG output is greater than Firmino’s this season, as it was the season before. Werner’s xG numbers are consistently improving, with both his xG and xG assisted rising under Julian Nagelsmann. The forward has assisted 0.27 xG per 90 this season, while Firmino has around 0.20 per 90 for each of the last three seasons. Werner is more than just a goalscorer.

The question lies in his defensive contribution. Playing under managers like Ralf Rangnick, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Julian Nagelsmann, Werner isn’t a stranger to working hard out of possession, but isn’t as active as Firmino. The diagrams show Leipzig’s front-footed approach, as well as the difference in activity between the pair. Werner’s defensive activity is mainly focused on the wing, where he is asked to contribute, and to his credit he delivers.

It’s not to say that Werner couldn’t adapt, but despite his qualities, replacing Firmino with Werner will likely not result in a seamless transition. Werner might be a player who would benefit more from playing alongside Firmino than replacing him. A front three of Werner, Mané and Salah would be strong, but it would also be different — though this wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Put simply it would be:

------------Werner----------
-----Salah----------Mane

Instead of:

----Mane-----------Salah
-----------Firmino---------

Can't see Salah wanting take up a more creative role which takes him away from the goal, though, so that could be one to watch.

This is also making a bit excited:

------------Werner------
Mane----Firmino----Salah---
----Henderson--Fabinho

That's one of the very few data visualisations that has interested me.

Firmino. Wow.

It’s also interesting that it’s happening more on the right. Is it because Mane’s more reliable in defensive duties I wonder (and Robbo).
Definitely. Both Salah & TAA are given licence to both get forward, overlap, & even drop inside together, & neither have that natural instinct to bomb back like Mane & Robbo.

Hendo & Firmino then plug any gaps left by cutting it off as far up the pitch as possible.

It’s also interesting that it’s happening more on the right. Is it because Mane’s more reliable in defensive duties I wonder (and Robbo).

There was an analytics article on ESPN yesterday indicating that Mane and Robbo were the most effective two man combo in world football this year based on offensive combinations. Bobby has been involved in several such two man combos near the top, indicating he links well with many of our players.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...est-duos-in-soccer-when-it-comes-to-chemistry

Put simply it would be:

------------Werner----------
-----Salah----------Mane

Instead of:

----Mane-----------Salah
-----------Firmino---------

Can't see Salah wanting take up a more creative role which takes him away from the goal, though, so that could be one to watch.

This is also making a bit excited:

------------Werner------
----Henderson--Fabinho
I like that last formation a lot. I think of that every time I see Werner mentioned as replacing Firmino, (which clearly won't happen in the next few years). However as well as the exciting looking :

------------Werner------
----Hendo/Gini--Fabinho

there is also :

Mane----Werner----Salah
Werner----Firmino----Salah
Werner----Firmino----Mane

Which makes Werner an excellent solution to both resting and replacing (when injured) any of the front three and also for next season's Olympics (when if we get Werner I can see Klopp allowing Salah to participate) and the ACN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom