• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

We need to talk about Keita..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he had a great game did he?

Wasn't at fault for the goal?
Didn't jog back after losing the ball?

#mysticvision

Wasn't at fault for the goal?

This line I disagree with, I guess the only thing he could have done better is go down when shoved by Noble? But bit risky. No shove and he gets a block in. It was very clever from West Ham, i think trying to pin that one on Naby is a bit desperate. I agree that he is under performing though.

Keita has been very disappointing so far in his short career with us. It's also frustrating as he was the summer signing we could all get behind. He still looks very talented so let's not write him off as a dud yet. Fabinho went from the bench to the hypothetical transfer list to become our most important midfielder in the space of a month.

I don't get the aggressive hate towards Keita though. It does seem like a certain section of poster and fans out there have really gotten stuck into him. There is no agenda as everyone wanted him to succeed but I do think he is getting too much flak when others around him as also under performing. I think Shaq is benefiting from the extra attention Keita is receiving right now. His poor performances haven't been documented much recently. He has been way below par for a while now.

The whole 'saga' nearly reminds me of Aqualani. We all wanted him to do well, he looked excellent in clips, the hype was there. His performances were, like Keita's are now, viewed under a microscope. He was bashed for a sloppy pass even though others around him were as guilty and then any decent pass he made was gushed over.

Keita deserves some support as he's clearly a talented player. Has his lived up to the fee and hype -No. Will he turn it around - Hope so.

I don't get the aggressive hate towards Keita though.

There's no 'aggressive hate'. Why those who like a player or aren't much bothered either way or are wannabe PR representatives of him have to portray critics as lantern-lit, noose-tying, eye-bulging zealots intent on 'agenda-setting' and 'witch-hunting' is beyond me. He's a huge disappointment. That provokes exasperation and intense frustration if you think there''s potential there. No agenda. No witch hunt. Just disappointment and frustration and concern (cranked up every now and again by those who intervene to protest he's doing fine).

Or you know, maybe we could stop trying to shoehorn Milner or Henderson into the right back position and play a right back from the reserves and keep the midfield shape. Rather than compromising on two positions, compromise on one and see if that works. The likes of Camacho are only realistically going to get a chance to show what they can do during an injury crisis, yet we're tipping the balance of the midfield instead to plug a hole. You can argue it's a gamble playing a kid, it's proving as much a gamble playing midfielders there because none of them have been able to perform to a good standard at right back, while the midfield is all over the shop as a result. So what's the point?

It's not an irrational witch hunt, for fucks sake, he's not playing well. No one said "we're terrible and it's all on Keita", fucking grow up.

Very good post. Still unable to wrap my head around why Clyne was allowed to leave. In 2009 January, we sold Keane and did not replace him. In the 2014 title chase, we did not strengthen and was running on fumes by the time we reached May. It looks like the same thing has happened now.

if Hendo & Gini aren't back for Sat. What do we do? He needs benching, but how do we address that midfield?

There's no 'aggressive hate'. Why those who like a player or aren't much bothered either way or are wannabe PR representatives of him have to portray critics as lantern-lit, noose-tying, eye-bulging zealots intent on 'agenda-setting' and 'witch-hunting' is beyond me. He's a huge disappointment. That provokes exasperation and intense frustration if you think there''s potential there. No agenda. No witch hunt. Just disappointment and frustration and concern (cranked up every now and again by those who intervene to protest he's doing fine).

I haven't noticed protestations that he's doing fine. Perhaps a few are pointing out some positive moments Keita is having but the general consensus is that he has been a major disappointment so far.

Not sure what to class as aggressive hate but on this forum I'm pretty sure I've read dud, useless, liability etc which all seem OTT when the player is clearly talented. He isn't showing it right now which is concern and a worry. Will he turn it around - I hope so. For the record, I'd all fit, I'd play Fabinho, Gini and Keita in midfield with Henderson rotated in and out. That is potentially our best mix.

Very good post. Still unable to wrap my head around why Clyne was allowed to leave. In 2009 January, we sold Keane and did not replace him. In the 2014 title chase, we did not strengthen and was running on fumes by the time we reached May. It looks like the same thing has happened now.

Clyne clearly left for non footballing reasons. It's frustrating but Klopp didn't seem interested in playing him.

if Hendo & Gini aren't back for Sat. What do we do? He needs benching, but how do we address that midfield?

Personally? I'd play Fabinho and Milner with Shaqiri or Lallana ahead. Both work harder than Keita, Milner provides good balance between grit and creativity, while we can look for another alternative at right back, via Camacho or whoever.

This "Keita's shit" vs "Keita's great" argument goes way beyond this forum, the whole fanbase seems to be split. Its Lucas Mk2 :
[bcolor=transparent]

You clearly speed-read and very selectively. What are the bases, then, for accusing some of 'witch-hunts'?

As I've said already, personally I don't think there is an agenda against him and I don't agree with those accusing others of a witch hunt. Witch Hunt is strong word. Everyone was excited over his transfer and wanted him to succeed so a witch hunt to occur is OTT. I do think some people are being quick to call him useless and a dud etc. He has been no where near as good as we had hoped but I not sure he's a dud? The Leicester thread did irk me a little. Everything Keita did was picked apart and derided. Even being fouled at one point was his own fault.

Forums are funny old places. Posters are often pigeon holed or find themselves in 'for or against camps' when in reality the camp may not actually exist. The only thing this forum has probably ever universally agreed on is that Moreno was/is a liability and Diouf was/is a prick.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Lucas was also shit.

That article he's talking about is in The Times and the headline does say that, but the article hardly mentions Fabinho, just says that they've both been a bit hit and miss, and that Fabinho was left isolated because Keita and Lallana didn't help him out much. It slates Lallana quite a bit too. It's actually a whole load of nothing, really.

Was going to say something like this myself. It definitely feels like we've been here before, even under Klopp.

This "Keita's shit" vs "Keita's great" argument goes way beyond this forum, the whole fanbase seems to be split. Its Lucas

Yeah he's definitely going to be a divisive player for fans due to the price tag and the initial hype. He is also a potential whipping boy if not already. He's a perfect player to direct some of our pent up frustrations at as we watch our lead at the top erode slightly.

He's waaaay to early to call yet. He is clearly talented and I enjoyed him slaloming into the box in the last two games but he is only showing us this ability in flashes which isn't enough really at this stage of the season. We had hopes he would be dictating games on his own by now.

So this witch-hunt reminds people of Aqualani and Lucas, both of whom were ultimately proven to be witches.
It is rare a good amount of posters go after a genuinely quality player

It's rare we're wrong when we mob

As I've said already, personally I don't think there is an agenda against him and I don't agree with those accusing others of a witch hunt. Witch Hunt is strong word. Everyone was excited over his transfer and wanted him to succeed so a witch hunt to occur is OTT. I do think some people are being quick to call him useless and a dud etc. He has been no where near as good as we had hoped but I not sure he's a dud? The Leicester thread did irk me a little. Everything Keita did was picked apart and derided. Even being fouled at one point was his own fault.

Forums are funny old places. Posters are often pigeon holed or find themselves in 'for or against camps' when in reality the camp may not actually exist. The only thing this forum has probably ever universally agreed on is that Moreno was/is a liability and Diouf was/is a prick.

But..But..that is when SCM at its best. Actually I think the Keita critique from this forum has been fairly soft. Good thing he doesn't do stuff like "recycle possession" and "interceptions". That is when entire SCM splits into two camps - one led by Ryan and his ilk and the other by manwithnoname. The more intellectual posters accusing us for not understanding the value of the subtleties and manwithnoname raising his criticism levels in response. That is peak SCM.

But..But..that is when SCM at its best. Actually I think the Keita critique from this forum has been fairly soft. Good thing he doesn't do stuff like "recycle possession" and "interceptions". That is when entire SCM splits into two camps - one led by Ryan and his ilk and the other by manwithnoname. The more intellectual posters accusing us for not understanding the value of the subtleties and manwithnoname raising his criticism levels in response. That is peak SCM.

I love how I'm the poster-boy for anti-intellectualism.

Fucking cheers, like.

I missed most of the first half but tuned in on my phone for the second and could not believe how much ground Keita was covering. He was popping up in front of our defenders, driving through the middle, attacking from the wings - everywhere!

Then I realized at least some of that was Mane. In my defense, the stream was poor resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom