• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

vs Man City (A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Match thread starter
So... onwards to one hell of a challenge for our second game of the season!

I think general agreement was that our line up vs Soton wasn't optimal and I think Rodgers noted that too. I think we will see one change, being Allen for Lucas and the rest as they were.

Are Lallana or Markovic any closer to getting on the bench?

So... onwards to one hell of a challenge for our second game of the season!

I think general agreement was that our line up vs Soton wasn't optimal and I think Rodgers noted that too. I think we will see one change, being Allen for Lucas and the rest as they were.

Would not be surprised to see us start with the diamond with Lambert and Sturridge with Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard behind. Allen and Markovich to come in for Coutinho and Lambert after 60 minutes and move to 4-3-3.

I think 4-3-3 really needs either Lallana or Markovic (combined with Sturridge and Sterling up front) this season to be most effective without Suarez. Coutinho can play as a wide forward, but he is less effective there as we saw on Sunday. Markovic not fit enough to start, so perhaps the diamond to start.

If everybody was fit I'd pick................

.....................................Mignolet..................................
Manquillo............Skrtel...............Lovren................Moreno
........................Henderson.......Can............................
.........Sterling................Allen...............Lallana..............
.................................Sturridge............................

I'd be tempted to put Markovic instead of Allen and destroy City with the blistering pace of Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge etc.

Obviously Rodgers will pick Gerrard which I can live with but if Lucas starts we have no chance.

Last year, I wasn't nervous for this game - Not really for this one, though I think we'll need to get all the breaks (as we did at Anfield) to get anything positive, especially without Suarez - who was a thorn in this team's side.

I'd go

Mignolet

Manquillo
Skrtel
Lovren
Moreno

Gerrard
Can
Henderson
Coutinho

Sterling
Sturridge

D Agger Knee Injury no return date (is this a hint he's on his way, I want to know)
L Marković Hamstring Injury 25th Aug 14
J Flanagan Knee Injury 31st Aug 14
A Lallana LCL Knee Ligament Injury 31st Aug 14

That's a pity because Flanno's return date has gone back (was originally the same as Markovic's). However depending on how Moreno has gone in training he could see his debut against City. BR gave Manquillo a helluva test, just arrived and straight in on opening day, so no reason after Johnson's performance that Moreno would be any worse.

In Midfield Lucas just has to go, he just must. Coutinho should get more room to play against a less packed City defence so remains. Probably start with the same formation as against Southampton because we are not going to be camped in the final third.

.....................................Gerrard
.........Sterling....................................Coutinho

I think we'll lose 3-0. I hope we play diamond, and I hope Manpillow and Moreno start. Hopefully we'll see a cameo from Markovic, but I'm guessing its too early for Lallana, maybe against Spurs.

.....................................Gerrard
.........Sterling....................................Coutinho

This. Apart from I'd have Sakho for Skrtel. I'm not opposed to swapping Can for Allen either based on Allen's last game, he did well.

I wouldnt have a problem with that.

tumblr_mfqua8zd8i1qi8brmo1_250.gif

Obviously unless we sign one off the list between now and then.

Don't think Rodgers is gonna change the team that much.
One of Lucas or Johnson will start or both.

Against three solid central midfielders, I don't know whether this is the time to play Markovic, he'd be on the bench I reckon.

------------------Mignolet------------------
Manquillo---Skrtel--Lovren---Whoever
-------------Gerrard---Can----------------
-----Hendo-----Sterling-----Coutinho--
-----------------Sturridge------------------

Newcastle's best moments came from harrassing Toure on the ball and pressing City's backline on the edge of their own box, they forced mistakes time and time again, but had no striker to capitalise. Sterling could put them on the back foot in that sense and do the "Suarez" job of hounding and forcing them to concede possession by quick closing, while keeping them conscious of his ability to nick the ball away and get in behind.

We'll line up...

-----------------------Ming-----------------------

Manquillo-----Skrtel----Lovren-----Moreno

--------------------Gerrard----------------------

------Hendo------------------Allen--------------

--------------------Coutinho--------------------

-----------Sterling (free role)----------------

------------------Sturridge------------------

Rodgers likes that diamond formation. Said he played it 8 times last season. 7 wins and 1 draw.

Would like to see Moreno and Can come in but also agree that either Lucas or Johnson will probably start. Really want to see Marković in action but don't think he'll be given a start for this one.

I hope Sakho comes in for Skrtel, Allen in for Lucas and, perhaps a tough one to throw him into, but Moreno for Johnson. I can't see Moreno starting actually.

I can't see Sakho starting either. Isn't Lovren left sided too? Brendan doesn't seem to like playing two left sided or right sided players together. Also I think Skrtel was good against Southampton, don't think he deserves to be dropped.

Can has to come in for Lucas as we need some presence in the midfield, Allen wont give us that.

All this left sided vs right sided cb does my head in. It's not like you're moving a keeper to the left wing or anything.

All this left sided vs right sided cb does my head in. It's not like you're moving a keeper to the left wing or anything.

For the record I think it shouldn't be a problem either. Was just saying I don't think Brendan is a fan of it.

Can would be great for this one if his performance against city in preseason is anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom