• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vaarwel Gini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess one way of looking at is that we have a few hardworking, difficult to shrug off the ball workhorses. We don't have that many creative midfielders. Not ones that can actually stay fit for more than 5 minutes anyway.

Do you still think this ?

Do people actually think we would be better off without him? The only midfielder in the squad who can stay fit for 3 consecutive months and capable of playing multiple positions.No doubt we need new blood in midfield but I'd be much happier if it was Milner and Ox that made way and Gini in 12 months transitioned to the midfield utility role that Milner currently has.

Do people actually think we would be better off without him? The only midfielder in the squad who can stay fit for 3 consecutive months and capable of playing multiple positions.No doubt we need new blood in midfield but I'd be much happier if it was Milner and Ox that made way and Gini in 12 months transitioned to the midfield utility role that Milner currently has.
Absolutely this. The guy has been a constant in our team. Also there should be concern over Hendersons injury record and we kno Gini. Buying someone who is capable of his role is not easy.

It's not a case of whether we're better without him but whether his contract demands make it worthwhile to bring him back.

He's a good player who is on the decline. The difficulty is he's only ever as good as the team that he plays in.

It's not a case of whether we're better without him but whether his contract demands make it worthwhile to bring him back.

He's a good player who is on the decline. The difficulty is he's only ever as good as the team that he plays in.
Yep to the last bit. In the next season or two it looks like we need to build a new spine and he's not gonna be here for that unless he takes on the Milner role

Milner should go this summer, his legs have gone and his injuries are more frequent. Yes he can play multiple position but none of them to the level required anymore. You have to love the guy and if he wants to move to a coaching role we should make that happen, but he's not good enough to play for us anymore. With the Iikes of Henderson Gini and Thiago it's not like we need his experience in midfield either.

Do you still think this ?

Yeah.

He’s an important player for us. If for no other reason than the fact that he can be relied upon.

I’m not so sure his decline is going to be a steep one. He strikes me as someone who can maintain his level for a while yet.

That being said, I wouldn’t hand him a massive four year contract at this juncture.

We went ahead with Thiago and Henderson is clearly gonna be here for a while yet. We don’t want three midfielders into their 30s on massive deals particularly given the overall state of the squad.

Yeah.

He’s an important player for us. If for no other reason than the fact that he can be relied upon.

I’m not so sure his decline is going to be a steep one. He strikes me as someone who can maintain his level for a while yet.

That being said, I wouldn’t hand him a massive four year contract at this juncture.

We went ahead with Thiago and Henderson is clearly gonna be here for a while yet. We don’t want three midfielders into their 30s on massive deals particularly given the overall state of the squad.
I've done this before. The maths is quite clear. Why on earth an extra year on the contract we've offered makes such a difference I'm not sure (which is the sticking point, he wants a 4 not 3 year contract), I've not seen anything which says the wages we are offering are not up to expectations. He's going for free this Summer. The salary for an extra year (say £6.5M @ 125,000 per week) will be more than covered if we sell him for a fee after 1,2,3 years and if he stays for the full 4 then he'll have been worth the extra year.

I feel there is something between the parties not being said, such as a playing time guarantee, that can't be agreed upon.

It could just be some principle about length of deals for players at a certain age too. But the way you draw it up, it makes sense to give him the contract, perhaps with wages dipping off a bit after the first two.

Yeah, I suspect it has to do with not setting a precedent. Our backroom staff are usually pretty good at getting these calculations right. I just hope they have this time.

Georginio Wijnaldum has chosen to leave Liverpool at the end of the season to join Barcelona. The Sunday Times understands that the Holland international has agreed a pre-contract deal to become the first signing of Joan Laporta’s second spell as president of the Catalan club.
Wijnaldum is out of contract in the summer so he will join without Barcelona having to pay a transfer fee. The midfielder has been a priority target of his compatriot Ronald Koeman since his appointment as Barcelona head coach last August, but the club’s financial crisis prevented a move last summer. The 30-year-old’s signing is a vote of confidence in Koeman.

Wijnaldum joined Liverpool from Newcastle in 2016 for £25 million and became a pivotal part of a team that

Thanks for the CL, the League, the Super Cup, the WCC now....
Actually please don’t fuck off!

Fine player who's done well for us, and I liked him as an individual, but I've lost some respect for him over the long drawn-out saga surrounding his departure which has too many similarities for my liking with the way McMoneyman shafted the club back in the day. If Wijnaldum had really meant what he said about being "devastated" to leave, he wouldn't be leaving, simple as - three years is a good contract offer at his age. I don't have a problem with a player prioritising the money side of things but I mos def do have a problem with him when he tries to cover up for doing so.

Ta-ra Gini and don't let the door hit your @rse on the way out.

Georginio Wijnaldum on his way to Barcelona in the summer

Duncan Castles
Sunday March 21 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times
%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fb90a65f4-89bb-11eb-a305-6c8dc51a72e0.jpg

Wijnaldum is out of contract in the summer so will be able to leave without a transfer fee
BERNADETT SZABO/REUTERS
Georginio Wijnaldum has chosen to leave Liverpool at the end of the season to join Barcelona. The Sunday Times understands that the Holland international has agreed a pre-contract deal to become the first signing of Joan Laporta’s second spell as president of the Catalan club.
Wijnaldum is out of contract in the summer so he will join without Barcelona having to pay a transfer fee. The midfielder has been a priority target of his compatriot Ronald Koeman since his appointment as Barcelona head coach last August, but the club’s financial crisis prevented a move last summer. The 30-year-old’s signing is a vote of confidence in Koeman.

I would prefer to keep him for another season, but not lock in for 3-4 seasons. In Curtis we have a perfect CM replacement, and I feel the squad can cope without him bar another season with five CBs getting injured.

Will players never learn, leaving our club...? Good luck to him. Great servant.

Will be remembered for the night he demolished the club he may be going to.

I would prefer to keep him for another season, but not lock in for 3-4 seasons. In Curtis we have a perfect CM replacement, and I feel the squad can cope without him bar another season with five CBs getting injured.
Don't think Curtis is a replacement for Gini. Curtis is probably best suited as the 3rd CM - competing with Keita and Ox (and maybe Thiago as well) for that role.

Gini does a huge of amount of pressing and defensive work as the 2nd CM, which would need to be replaced if he leaves, especially given how ever-present he is. A big part of why we've struggled this season is the lack of physicality in midfield this year - most of that has been to do with Henderson and Fabinho being forced to drop into defence of course. But if Gini leaves, he needs replacing with a player in a similar mould. Probably one of Bissouma, Neuhaus or Boubacar Kamara.

Don't think Curtis is a replacement for Gini. Curtis is probably best suited as the 3rd CM - competing with Keita and Ox (and maybe Thiago as well) for that role.

Gini does a huge of amount of pressing and defensive work as the 2nd CM, which would need to be replaced if he leaves, especially given how ever-present he is. A big part of why we've struggled this season is the lack of physicality in midfield this year - most of that has been to do with Henderson and Fabinho being forced to drop into defence of course. But if Gini leaves, he needs replacing with a player in a similar mould. Probably one of Bissouma, Neuhaus or Boubacar Kamara.

Yep - understand the point but I do feel that Curtis spent a lot of this season showing he can play the 'system' I think a trio of Fabinho, Jones & Keita would work very well.

Agree on Bissouma, i really rate him. And Tielemens, who is similar to Bissouma but maybe with mildly more swag and a bit less running.

Leicester would ask a small fortune for him, especially since they now see themselves as competitors to us. Bissouma is likely to be far more attainable.

Bissouma is a very good player already, but has the ceiling to be even better in our set up and with Klopp as his manager.
Really hope we sign him. Have to say he has impressed me greatly this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom