• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trouble in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want him to stay at united. He is a prime example of limited player hype .. they think he needs to be at united to be an icon...let him be. Playing for Juve means bollox in this country he will be shown for his limitations regardless of manager.

The thing is, I had just watched Ejaria put in a MOM performance for Rangers in a Euro qualifier immediately before watching the video. He didn't give the ball away once. Not a single time, and he still managed to set up some excellent chances and even slalomed into the box a couple of times. The contrast with this was incredible in terms of effective midfield play.

No that would be daft, but that the social media buzz creates an aura that suggests the player is incredible, like a more widespread, considerably more effective marketing version of player youtube vids. The player has inveigled their way into the popular imagination as someone much more skilled and dynamic than is the truth. Club boards and scouting committees are not immune to this influence.
I'd suggest they are ! I'm pretty sure boards don't buy players based on supporters' wishlists. In fact it's preposterous to suggest they'd shell out that amount of money based, even if only in part, on social media.

This board, and Hal especially, seems to be under-valuing Pogba in this thread. I agree he isn't what he appears to be but Hal is wrong when he states his performance against Brighton was more like his average level game now. That was hyperbolic and it clearly isn't and the fact that right now in a current thread most of this forum would have him in a combined Liverpool-United XI demonstrates the esteem at which he is held by most, and the level in fact that he's actually capable of. As has been rightly stated, in another team with another manager he'd be pretty damn good ... again, as he was at Juve. Dare I say that Klopp would make him into a monster ?

Last edited:
I'd suggest they are ! I'm pretty sure boards don't buy players based on supporters' wishlists. In fact it's preposterous to suggest they'd shell out that amount of money based, even if only in part, on social media.

This board, and Hal especially, seems to be under-valuing Pogba in this thread. I agree he isn't what he appears to be but Hal is wrong when he states his performance against Brighton was more like his average level game now. That was hyperbolic and it clearly isn't and the fact that right now in a current thread most of this forum would have him in a combined Liverpool-United XI demonstrates the esteem at which he is held by most, and the level in fact that he's actually capable of. As has been rightly stated, in another team with another manager he'd be pretty damn good ... again, as he was at Juve. Dare I say that Klopp would make him into a monster ?
He wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a Klopp team. The lazy cunt.

started becoming interesting at the two minute mark. cant say Im impressed. did mostly basic stuff
You’re right, in the first half he was jeeping it very simple, but that was his role in the team. Second half he had more licence. He was MOM, so I wasn’t the only one who was impressed.

Poor old Maureen resembles a stage magician who has run out of all his rehearsed tricks and realises he's still got loads of time left over, so he just starts improvising really rubbish non-tricks. He came to England armed with a few gimmicks, and repeated them a few times, and now they just don't work any more so he's trying increasingly silly stuff in a vain attempt to retrieve his old 'master of mind games' crown. Yesterday, apparently, the hacks were told his presser would start at 1.30, so Maureen turned up at one and insisted on starting there and then, even though there was hardly any journalist there. Oh, how devious, how astonishingly artful the man is!

Many of the 13 questions that Mourinho fielded in the four minutes and 19 seconds that he afforded the nation’s broadcasters, were answered curtly. The shortest and least convincing answers from Mourinho came when he was quizzed about his relationship with Ed Woodward.

Privately, Mourinho has let it be known that he is frustrated with Woodward over his failure to sign a centre back this summer, but the United manager tried to paint a positive picture about his relationship with the executive vice-chairman, although the abrupt nature of his responses did not convince many of those present.

“Is your relationship with Woodward fine?” one reporter asked.

“Of course,” replied Mourinho, who then fielded a follow-up question.

“So there’s no problem at all with him?”

“No,” Mourinho said.

Then, a perfectly reasonable question from the audience about whether he thought the reaction to Sunday’s 3-2 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion had been overblown was met with short shrift.

“You are pessimistic. I’m not,” Mourinho said.

Even when asked to give his opinion on Monday’s opponents, Tottenham Hotspur, Mourinho declined to answer.

“I’m not going to comment,” he said.

Mourinho then gave just three minutes and 22 seconds of his time to newspaper reporters in a separate section, which was just as tense. Mourinho’s responses give us an insight into his mood at the moment. He is not happy on a number of levels. Woodward’s failure to back him in the transfer market — just seven months after handing him a new two-and-a-half-year deal — has understandably hurt the 55-year-old.

Criticism from outside the camp about his team’s woeful display on the south coast has clearly riled the manager even though he would not admit as much today.

“I don’t know ten per cent of what is written, I don’t know ten per cent of what is coming on the TV screens so I’m not the right guy to answer it,” Mourinho said.

Quinton Fortune, reviewing the press conference on the club’s official TV channel MUTV, suggested otherwise.

“You can see the frustration on his face and in his comments . . . some of the stuff that’s been said has probably hurt him a little bit,” the former United winger said.

The strongest criticism after the Brighton defeat came from Paul Scholes, Fortune’s former team-mate, who claimed that United had no leaders and that Paul Pogba was out of line for admitting that his attitude was wrong for the defeat.

“If you want any explanation about [Pogba’s] words you must get him and ask him,” Mourinho said.

Last edited:
No that would be daft, but that the social media buzz creates an aura that suggests the player is incredible, like a more widespread, considerably more effective marketing version of player youtube vids. The player has inveigled their way into the popular imagination as someone much more skilled and dynamic than is the truth. Club boards and scouting committees are not immune to this influence.

And also the larger the social media profile and influence, the more valuable the player is as a marketing asset

Yeah that was pathetic and is not going to endear him even to his media supporters (if there are any left).

And also the larger the social media profile and influence, the more valuable the player is as a marketing asset
Well it's already been proven a million times that shirts sales are worth SFA to a club above what they've been paid by the suppliers so what could the club gain from any players' extended media presence ? Of course top music stars can make US$10,000 a tweet advertising something or other, but then players don't do that so that can't be it. So how is a player's media profile going to be of any value or larger/more important than the actual clubs ? United have 18m followers on Twitter, Pogba 5.7m (probably all United fans who subscribe to United's official anyway).

The media presence may make him more attractive to private sponsors (clothing / after shave etc.) but that won't have any value to the club.

So Moaning arse doesn't know 10 % of what is on TV or written about them so isn't the man to comment. Doesn't stop him commenting all the other times regarding things like, say Liverpool "trying to buy everyone". So he has seen / read every single word on that subject and feels qualified to comment does he? Stupid manc prick.

Well it's already been proven a million times that shirts sales are worth SFA to a club above what they've been paid by the suppliers so what could the club gain from any players' extended media presence ? Of course top music stars can make US$10,000 a tweet advertising something or other, but then players don't do that so that can't be it. So how is a player's media profile going to be of any value or larger/more important than the actual clubs ? United have 18m followers on Twitter, Pogba 5.7m (probably all United fans who subscribe to United's official anyway).

The media presence may make him more attractive to private sponsors (clothing / after shave etc.) but that won't have any value to the club.
The higher profile players a club has, the more they’ll likely to get out of sponsorship deals, with brands wanting to associate themselves with said players. Worth absolute millions.

There were some interesting stats around Ronaldos move to Juve.
https://en.as.com/en/2018/08/15/football/1534328420_868015.html

Huge increases in social media followers.
I'm sure this will somehow translate into more money somewhere along the line and more exposure.
There was also something about lowest attendance at bernebeau since before Ronaldo signed.

Obviously he'll help on the pitch also but I think if used properly Pogba would also help united

Lee Sharpe has been spreading a few rumours he has heard from the players:

I've heard a little whisper to say the manager is not really giving them a lot of instruction before games. He's just picking the team and letting them get on with it.

Last edited:
Well, if that's true (and I can't think why he'd bother chatting sh!t about it) it adds to the impression that Maureen's trying to engineer his way out of there.

Well, if that's true (and I can't think why he'd bother chatting sh!t about it) it adds to the impression that Maureen's trying to engineer his way out of there.

It seems to me that he hasn't got the players in that he wanted this summer, and he's gone into a bit of a sulk. He's just let the players crack on and do their own thing.

Does sound like he knows they can't compete so why bother

I think the opposite seems true. He's restricting them too much. They're playing without any freedom at all.

I've heard a little whisper to say the manager is not really giving them a lot of instruction before games. He's just picking the team and letting them get on with it.

To be honest, that's exactly how it looks on the pitch. I suspect Mourinho picks and chooses games where he "turns it on" – against us last year you could see that he analyzed our game to the finest detail and his ability to distill all that analysis into a simple set of instructions that players can understand is still second to none. But this attention to detail is nowhere to be seen in most games (I suppose it's different when his teams are in the title hunt) – it's like he assumes that just the sheer quality of his players should allow him to coast through most games.

Lee Sharpe has been spreading a few rumours he has heard from the players:
Not remotely possible that.
Hes widely known as being a coach who has a team create an individual player by player dosier on the opposition.

Didn't the Chelsea players wonder what had happened to all that? Remembering hearing something a while back that all that had stopped.

That little gremlin who used to be his right hand man has gone. The one who looks like Brian Peppers. Maybe it was his job.

This little cunt. Shame nobody kicked his head in.

chelsea-coach-rui-faria-is-held-back-by-jose-mourinho-and-other-of-picture-id485621059

Didn't the Chelsea players wonder what had happened to all that? Remembering hearing something a while back that all that had stopped.

That little gremlin who used to be his right hand man has gone. The one who looks like Brian Peppers. Maybe it was his job.
Hmmm maybe. We need to get Huan Mata on the phone. Only he can solve this connundrum now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom