• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Trent in midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
If Neco keeps making progress at RB, could this really happen? Klopp will likely be forced to leave Fabinho at CB for most of the season, Thiago isn’t close to being ready, so who steps into the void? The best passer in the team, Trent Alexander-Assist, that’s who!

The other suitor to the title of best RB in the world, Joshua Kimmich, has been shuffling between DM and RB for a couple of seasons with excellent effect, he has set the template and Klopp has obviously been watching. This could be a breath of fresh air this team needs.

Last edited:
I'd take the TAA - Matip - Fabinho - Robbo backline, and hope that Keita comes back to contribute, and then Ox, before Thiago asserts himself on the first time at the turn of the year.

Would be happy for it to become a genuine possibility .... as Neco's dazzling form ousts TAA from his normal position.

It makes very little sense to me to take an incredibly productive right back, playing a role that’s critical to the team’s overall functioning, and move him to a position where we have about 8 players already. And where it’s easier to get good value in the market.

It makes very little sense to me to take an incredibly productive right back, playing a role that’s critical to the team’s overall functioning, and move him to a position where we have about 8 players already. And where it’s easier to get good value in the market.

Also, who the fuck wants to play in our midfield. It's hard work, you don't get as much credit, it's not particularly creative...for once, right back is more fashionable.

I'd take the TAA - Matip - Fabinho - Robbo backline, and hope that Keita comes back to contribute, and then Ox, before Thiago asserts himself on the first time at the turn of the year.
Yeah this. Why would we want to take the finest FB in world football and turn him into an above average midfielder. We already have far better midfielders.

I think it will happen eventually but probably not this season, Trent is vital to our current system as a RB, Neco is not ready to replace him long term off the back of a good 2nd half against Ajax

Trent still has a little bit to go at right back, IMHO. Goals, for example - he could do with a few more. Chris Lawler scored up to 11 a season from RB (without free kicks or pens). Phil Neal managed about the same (albeit with a few pens). Trent's best so far is 4 (even though he's playing behind Salah, a right-sided player who never uses his right foot, which ought to mean that Trent should be getting the odd shot from that position). So, amongst other things, I'd like to see his shooting improve before considering moving him. It's always been clear he's got the physical and technical skills to play as an attacking midfielder, but he's still developing where he is, and it's surely a case of leaving him be for a bit.

Trent still has a little bit to go at right back, IMHO. Goals, for example - he could do with a few more. Chris Lawler scored up to 11 a season from RB (without free kicks or pens). Phil Neal managed about the same (albeit with a few pens). Trent's best so far is 4 (even though he's playing behind Salah, a right-sided player who never uses his right foot, which ought to mean that Trent should be getting the odd shot from that position). So, amongst other things, I'd like to see his shooting improve before considering moving him. It's always been clear he's got the physical and technical skills to play as an attacking midfielder, but he's still developing where he is, and it's surely a case of leaving him be for a bit.

Definitely, I want him to shoot and score more often. Maybe moving him to midfield will force him to develop that part of his game a little more – again, look at Kimmich who seemed to bring his midfield skills to the full-back role and vice-versa with such great effect. Like others are saying, most likely it's too early for him to move to midfield (when he's 26-27 I fully expect him to), but just getting a taste of it due to the injury crisis might be helpful in the long run.

And yes, we do still have a few fit midfielders (knock on wood), but bar Thiago none with Trent's range of passing.

If - IF - we're going to do this, the time to do it would be when Neco is ready to compete with Trent for the RB spot, and he's well short of that currently IMO.

Ironically, he could end up playing in the position Rafa kept trying to put Gerrard and Gerrard forever moaned about it. Trent's crossing from the right isn't something we're ever likely to want to lose, so just moving further up on the right seems the most likely transition for him.

Ironically, he could end up playing in the position Rafa kept trying to put Gerrard and Gerrard forever moaned about it. Trent's crossing from the right isn't something we're ever likely to want to lose, so just moving further up on the right seems the most likely transition for him.

Yeah, he could play the inside right midfield position, the role that Hendo or Milner often find themselves in, where they still have opportunities to pull wide and ping balls into the box. In Robbo, Trent, Hendo and Milner we must have 4 of the best crossers of the ball in the league.

Who said they don't have much pace!? That should be another question on my questionnaire of discerning whether someone is a numpty or not. Gomez is more overtly and obviously quick (or at least he was before his leg fell off), but Van Dijk has those long, languid strides that conceal his deceptive speed.

For proof, watch the video of Van Dijk keeping up with Traore a year or two ago. He's fucking rapid.

Like Milner he's too short to be a centre half but he has got the footballing brain & talent to adapt to a new position in midfield. He has been exceptional at left back/wing back so for the moment if not broken the why fix. (Injury not withstanding) .

Who said they don't have much pace!? That should be another question on my questionnaire of discerning whether someone is a numpty or not. Gomez is more overtly and obviously quick (or at least he was before his leg fell off), but Van Dijk has those long, languid strides that conceal his deceptive speed.

For proof, watch the video of Van Dijk keeping up with Traore a year or two ago. He's fucking rapid.

I know. But there are some fans who seem convinced that only Salah and Mane are quick and everyone else is practically in a wheelchair. It's weird.

I know. But there are some fans who seem convinced that only Salah and Mane are quick and everyone else is practically in a wheelchair. It's weird.
Au contraire ... little legs have to move rapidly to keep up hence the impression of running faster.

You make an argument for practically every player when it comes to pace though. You saw no difference in the speed between Son and Minamino the last time I remember you arguing.
And I doubt you’ll find anyone saying Gomez is slow, and VVD has always been known to be super rapid. I still remember the time he caught up with Mane (when playing for Southampton) to put in a last ditch tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom