• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Top of the League..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pointless talking about winning so and so many games as City’s losses to Leicester and Palace show that anything can happen.
The first time City won the league Utd had a 8 point lead in April and then lost games to Wigan 1-0 and drew 4-4 at home to Everton etc. Ending with City winning it in injury time on the last day.
Its impossible to predict.

We just have to take it game by game, but its quite clear that we need a second half of the season quite close to have the first went.

Two things. Firstly, our team will be desperate to get the job done knowing we have the best shot this current squad is likely to get. I expect them to be clinical in executing what is needed game by game. Secondly, talk of teams safe from relegation rolling over for Citeh is bullshit. With the money generated in the EPL these days, apart from the big six, a lot of these clubs need as much money as possible, and each place they finish higher generates a significant amount of cash for them. I wouldn't swap places with Citeh for all the tea in China.

All the more reason to wonder why people think we will get anywhere near that.

Anything over 88 would be a superb season regardless. We don’t have the depth City do. Unless we bomb out of the CL and FA Cup we’ll falter
ERrmm hence my original point was that i don't give a shit about the bayern game as long as our players are fresh for the league games. If all we had to worry about was one game a week i know we would win the league. Worry about the CL next season as league champions. We won't get a better chance than this season.

I disagree that we had a better chance in the 13/14 season. I never felt confident we were going to win the league that year because we were leaking too many goals. In fact i kept saying many times we wouldn't win the league because we needed at least 4 goals to see off teams. No team leaks that many goals and wins the league. But this year is a lot different, we are a different animal. This is first time i felt we could do it since we last actually won it.

One thing I'm discovering more in life is that we should be thankful for the things we have (and are in control of) and stop fretting or bitching about the things we do not have (or are not in control of).

We can talk all we want, hypothesize all we want and yet the two absolutes still remain for now i.e. we are still leading by 4 points and nobody has won the title yet.

So quit moaning yer lot and enjoy the flipping new year.

I hate all this talking up of City's chances and talking down ours. I understand ye are all about that twat of a cliche "its the hope that kills", but it means that if you take that approach you will have a miserable time from now til May and if we don't win it you will still be miserable.

Take the positive approach and you can enjoy the time from now to May, and, yes, if we lose it we can be miserable then, but no more miserable than the negative crowd. And I promise you if (when) we win it, I will be just as over the fucking moon as the rest of you and I've had a full and happy season leading up to it.

Its the hope that kills - is it fuck, its the miserable pessimism that kills.

Yep, especially as it's all based on what they did last season whilst ignoring what's happened this season. Winning the title is out of their hands. They're depending on us to mess up without messing up themselves.

One thing I'm discovering more in life is that we should be thankful for the things we have (and are in control of) and stop fretting or bitching about the things we do not have (or are not in control of).

We can talk all we want, hypothesize all we want and yet the two absolutes still remain for now i.e. we are still leading by 4 points and nobody has won the title yet.

So quit moaning yer lot and enjoy the flipping new year.

I agree to me its a straightforward scenario, we are in control and City have no more direct influence. If we keep going and dont get carried away by talk of being favorites or start panicking about our first loss we can do it.

We have the best defence in the league, we have a front 3 that can score goals against anybody, a home record that defies belief, a manager capable of inspiring great performances out of anybody. We have Ox to return, Gomez to return, Keita to push on and Fabinho to settle into a starting role. We just played away to arguably the best team in Europe and lost by 0.1 centimetres of a ball.

This is not a time for fear, this isnt the time for cashing out. We are fucking winning this title.

I hate all this talking up of City's chances and talking down ours. I understand ye are all about that twat of a cliche "its the hope that kills", but it means that if you take that approach you will have a miserable time from now til May and if we don't win it you will still be miserable.

Take the positive approach and you can enjoy the time from now to May, and, yes, if we lose it we can be miserable then, but no more miserable than the negative crowd. And I promise you if (when) we win it, I will be just as over the fucking moon as the rest of you and I've had a full and happy season leading up to it.

Its the hope that kills - is it fuck, its the miserable pessimism that kills.

I agree with all of this but City are still going to walk the league by double digits.

The more comments like these (yeah yeah it's LVG and I expect a few 'fuck the Manc' childish comments) the better it is for our players' morale. Most pundits still go for us too, that will buoy confidence. I expect us to blow Brightion away next game in exactly the way we have played the first half of the season. With control and defensive fortitude.

------------

Former Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says the only team he would back to win the Premier League title this season is Liverpool.

Liverpool and City have the joint-best goal difference in the league, but Van Gaal believes the Reds' fighting spirit and defensive solidity under Klopp this season will ultimately prove the difference between the two sides.

"If I was to put my money on one club for the league, it would be Liverpool," Van Gaal told The Mirror.

"Liverpool have a team that can defend much better. That's because Klopp has trained them to be a fighting force, whether they have the ball or not.

"That's exactly what is lacking in Guardiola's team now. City have fabulous football ideas and a sparkling way of playing but not the right fighting spirit.
"Don't get me wrong, I still love to watch City play but the way Klopp makes Liverpool play is absolutely fantastic."

4 points clear ahead of arguably one of the best football sides to have ever graced the Premier League..

What on earth is their to be negative about.. ??

So much positives from this.. And so much more to come..

Imagine how Great we will become when Keita and Fabinho become regulars in the side... It will happen..

We are top essentially without playing them in most games.. We are only going to get better...

And then their is Gomez return.. as well as the return of the OX in March..

You lot need a regular dose of Prozac..

I couldn't agree more, last month pundits were debating whether City were the best team ever in premier league history and despite losing to them the other day we are still 2 bad results ahead of them. We didn't play our very best the other night and that was highly disappointing and numerous posters on here come out with negative overly critical bullshit on a regular basis but that's what happens when you've been waiting for nearly 30 years...

IMO I like our team a lot... we are very fucking nifty...

As for whether we win it or not... who knows... probably not eh... but I am enjoying the fact that we are competing finally.

It's also that we're competing at a level rarely seen before. Needing 95+ points to be up there... And being in the hunt, it's ace

Sickening isn’t it. We could get 90 pts and still be seen as a team that collapsed.

Fuck off city

Seriously, we need to relax as I'm relaxed.
It's one game against the supposed 'best team in europe' and they had to play their BEST game to win, and that required luck (as it always does), 2-1.
It's ok.
We have the right manager for this run in, and calm, high quality leaders on the pitch.
We are still in the driving seat, and the team will continue as normal against a bloody good team in Brighton.
UP THE REDS!

Things are about to get v interesting here. Next 3 games for us are arguably the most crucial as city have 3 very winnable games (Wolves H, Hudd A and Newcastle A) before going in to back to back games against Chelsea (H) and Arsenal (H). If we are still 4 ahead after the next three, I think Chelsea & Arsenal can really put them under some pressure.

In the first two rounds of those fixtures (Brighton A and Palace H), we play first meaning in both games we have the opportunity to be 7 points clear when City kick off. We then have Leicester (H), West Ham (A) and Bournemouth (H). This run of 5 games is uninterrupted for us as it stands, but an FA Cup tie would fit in here somewhere.

After these 5 games, CL footy comes back.

I don't usually like looking too far ahead - and the back to back CFC and AFC games could be most likely where City drop points - but they've had some criticism for inability to get 'up' for lesser games this season and maybe there is a chance they lose intensity in one of the next three in preparation for the two big games.

I'm fucking excited for the second half of this season - lets keep the pressure on.

Things are about to get v interesting here. Next 3 games for us are arguably the most crucial as city have 3 very winnable games (Wolves H, Hudd A and Newcastle A) before going in to back to back games against Chelsea (H) and Arsenal (H). If we are still 4 ahead after the next three, I think Chelsea & Arsenal can really put them under some pressure.

In the first two rounds of those fixtures (Brighton A and Palace H), we play first meaning in both games we have the opportunity to be 7 points clear when City kick off. We then have Leicester (H), West Ham (A) and Bournemouth (H). This run of 5 games is uninterrupted for us as it stands, but an FA Cup tie would fit in here somewhere.

After these 5 games, CL footy comes back.

I don't usually like looking too far ahead - and the back to back CFC and AFC games could be most likely where City drop points - but they've had some criticism for inability to get 'up' for lesser games this season and maybe there is a chance they lose intensity in one of the next three in preparation for the two big games.

I'm fucking excited for the second half of this season - lets keep the pressure on.

Wolves could definitely cause a surprise

Would pay big money to see Neves slot another one of those in against City. He seemed to be suggesting his prefers the ball used in the FA Cup than the PL though...

Would pay big money to see Neves slot another one of those in against City. He seemed to be suggesting his prefers the ball used in the FA Cup than the PL though...

He banged in so many in the championship last season I was expecting more this season.
Hopefully he does it against City

He banged in so many in the championship last season I was expecting more this season.
Hopefully he does it against City
He's one of the reasons Wolves are as high as they are. He's top class but without him, and a maybe a couple of others such as Moutinho too, Wolves would only be a bottom half of the table side. I said we should have gone for him last season .. for a creative controlling midfielder in the Xabi mold he's going to cost an absolute fortune now.

I remember when we were chasing Fergie's side under Rafa.

After we had beaten them 4-1 at OT, I think they drew/lost their following game away, I thought we had all the momentum.

.. and they were on the ropes..

"It's the hope that kills" has been mentioned.. well yeah, it does.. I remember the next game, watching them go 2-1 down to Villa at home; they look shell shocked and beaten; I was watching them, 80 mins gone, thinking "Yeeeessss, this is our year"..

Ronaldo 2-2. Macheda 3-2. "It's the hope that kills".

From then on, it was game after game of scrawny United wins.. 1-0 Sunderland.. 1-0 Wigan.. "it's the hope that kills"..

And just when I thought my prayers had been answered.. finally a half decent team.. Spurs turn up to OT.. they go 1-0... "yes".. then just before half time, another! "yes".. 2-0 up.. United are choking.. surely the best they can now get out of this is a draw!

Just keep it tight for the first 10 mins Spurs and you'll ride out their wave of optimism. 55mins gone.. "yes" checkpoint 1 achieved.. "nearly there, Spurs.. I will love you forever, if you hold on.. don't Spursy it up now!"

*15 minutes later*.. United 4 - 2 Spurs.. *switches off TV*.. "it's the hope that kills".

It was the most sickening title race I can remember, because I was watching every United game and every United win, with the feint hope that they would slip up. It never happened. I remember getting infuriated with how shite other teams were at beating them.. whenever they played first, if they didn't lose, it was just another week written off (where we had to win knowing it made no difference).. eventually they rode out our momentum/positivity as we were the ones who slipped up against Arshavin's Arsenal, in a mad game where we knew we had to throw the kitchen sink at winning (leaving the back door open for a counter attack). Heartbreak.

Lesson learnt: I would rather be leading, in control and blow it.. than to be the ones behind with "supposed" momentum and hoping for another team to do us a favour. Each victory for us will be a kick in their gut, especially if City are in all 4 competitions and have to juggle their priorities. I'm glad they have got "easy" draws in the League Cup, FA Cup and CL.. let them go far.. each game becomes more important, where they have to rotate. The league shouldn't be a respite for them like it was last year. Eventually, they will crack.

This is quite interesting regarding how many points we pick up with 4 or more days rest, and 1-3 days rest.
After yesterdays FA cup exit we have 8 games in January and February, while Spurs and City have 11 games (could be 12 if the progress in the FA cup).

DwWERKtXgAE5gdD.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom