• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thiago.... Ja ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can draw a line under this after Klopp's comments last night.

We won't be spending significant money until there are supporters back in the stadium.

I doubt many teams will want to make deals till they know when they can get back to full houses.

We can draw a line under this after Klopp's comments last night.

We won't be spending significant money until there are supporters back in the stadium.

I think it's more a case of not spending until there are clear plans in place for the imminent return of supporters into the stadium. At present it's looking like there will be a selection process for season ticket holders, with about 20,000 supporters admitted, and the corporate side cranked back up with the inevitable changes for health reasons. With those plans likely to be further revised and agreed on ahead of the start of next season, the clubs will be able to start working out a financial strategy and surely the market will open back up, albeit at a more modest level.

How many clubs will be immune to this current climate were in , 3/4 ? The rest will all be following the same principles we are , we aren't alone in this , no business is going to be or has been splurging cash since lockdown without clear signs of bau returning

How many clubs will be immune to this current climate were in , 3/4 ? The rest will all be following the same principles we are , we aren't alone in this , no business is going to be or has been splurging cash since lockdown without clear signs of bau returning

No wonder Chelsea are spending big, it is a huge opportunity for clubs that are tilled to get a leg up on everyone else.

United, Chelsea, and City are going to go nuts in this window.

Most clubs rely on their season ticket money to fund the cash flows on their transfers. Without down payments for season tickets and corporate hospitality, only the plastic clubs will be comfortable spending. So it makes absolute sense to link transfers to fans back in the stands.

No wonder Chelsea are spending big, it is a huge opportunity for clubs that are tilled to get a leg up on everyone else.

United, Chelsea, and City are going to go nuts in this window.

Utd have said their spending will be quite modest.

Most clubs rely on their season ticket money to fund the cash flows on their transfers. Without down payments for season tickets and corporate hospitality, only the plastic clubs will be comfortable spending. So it makes absolute sense to link transfers to fans back in the stands.
Or to sponsorship ... compared to match day takings of £84m (and that's not just ticket /season ticket income). In fact we can expect something in the region of £150 - 160m from the PL this season (assuming no reductions for any reason). £200m from commercial interests (same proviso) and so on and so on ... so to be honest I'm not so sure how much of our transfer kitty depends on matchday takings or instead our transfer prevarication depends more on negotiations that are still pending regarding other income streams.

Or to sponsorship ... compared to match day takings of £84m (and that's not just ticket /season ticket income). In fact we can expect something in the region of £150 - 160m from the PL this season (assuming no reductions for any reason). £200m from commercial interests (same proviso) and so on and so on ... so to be honest I'm not so sure how much of our transfer kitty depends on matchday takings or instead our transfer prevarication depends more on negotiations that are still pending regarding other income streams.

It's all about the cash. Most cash comes in, and is spent, reasonably evenly through the year. The season ticket money comes in as a lump sum before the season starts and around the time the transfer window is open. You're right that other income supports spending, but a lot of it is paid evenly across the year and is used to support wage bills and other overheads. It's too simplistic to look at profit and revenue and say where the bigger share of the income comes from, with transfer spending it's all about cash - in July-September clubs need to find big lumps of cash to pay transfer fees and season ticket revenue supports that.

It's all about the cash. Most cash comes in, and is spent, reasonably evenly through the year. The season ticket money comes in as a lump sum before the season starts and around the time the transfer window is open. You're right that other income supports spending, but a lot of it is paid evenly across the year and is used to support wage bills and other overheads. It's too simplistic to look at profit and revenue and say where the bigger share of the income comes from, with transfer spending it's all about cash - in July-September clubs need to find big lumps of cash to pay transfer fees and season ticket revenue supports that.
Sorry but I just don't see that since almost all transfers use deferred payments - the amount of cash up front is very little in comparison to the total transfer fee. Or am I missing something?

Sorry but I just don't see that since almost all transfers use deferred payments - the amount of cash up front is very little in comparison to the total transfer fee. Or am I missing something?

No, that's correct, but bear in mind that each July-August period we will be paying instalment number one on this year's transfers, plus instalments two and three from the previous years' transfers. So there'll be a chunky payout, and if transfer spending is fairly even across those three years, you're effectively paying out a figure equivalent to a full year's spending.

Because LFC did very little last year, we won't have the full burden of three lots of "normal" instalments (i.e. deals from 2018, 2019 and 2020), but we probably get £35m - £40m from season tickets and seasonal hospitality, and that would fund instalments (1/3) on new deals worth between £100m and £120m (full value of the transfer fees), assuming we already had money tucked away for the previous two years' run-off

Haven't Chelsea also cancelled plans for the new stadium meaning they have even more of that reserved capital to spend. The timing couldn't be better for them.

Haven't Chelsea also cancelled plans for the new stadium meaning they have even more of that reserved capital to spend. The timing couldn't be better for them.

Chelsea owed over £1bn in debt to Abramovich in their last published accounts. They don't have any capital (they are insolvent to the tune of nearly £700m), although they might rack up a bit less extra debt this year. :)

Chelsea owed over £1bn in debt to Abramovich in their last published accounts. They don't have any capital (they are insolvent to the tune of nearly £700m), although they might rack up a bit less extra debt this year. :)

The plot they own off Fulham road is worth a £1bn on its own

I dont see Utd spending big, they are run like a business now. The Glazers take cash out of the company rather than pumping funds in and they have large debts to meet. Loss of match day revenue will hurt them more than most as comercially they generate huge rvenues from match going fans. Clubs like City, Chelsea and potentially Newcastle with cash on hand will be very few and far between.

Whats surprising to many people is you would expect us, after the most successful period in our modern history to be one of the clubs best financially placed to take advantage of the situation. For whatever reason, and there appears to be a few, we are not.

If we had to sell a mid, Ox should be the one going. Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Thiago, Keita with another year of Milner and Curtis Jones waiting in the wings is good enough for midfield. Ox is a very likable guy, but I'm kinda done with him as a player.

Has there ever been an obvious leak indicating Klopp wanting a specific player? Just harking on how pissed his presser sounded after the City CAS case verdict was announced. We've played with virtually the sames squad for 2-3 seasons now and to ensure that we're still challenging next season, so a few first teamers are needed as early as possible to acclimatise and prepare for another title assault next season.

It was manifestly true ! Obviously FSG had other ideas.
Well that's precisely the point ....

Klopp wanted Werner , we couldn't afford him.

Klopp wants thiago , who the fuck knows if we will spend the £20/30m required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom