• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The rebuild... how would you plan it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milner was probably motm against Newcastle. Was never let us down. Ffs sure fabinho picks up a yellow every other game as well. It's. Only a 1 year extension ffs. We definitely need his old cool head off the bench if need. Jones is no where near miner's level atm
I’d be amazed if the offer wasn’t on (relatively) low wages.

Loyalty is one thing, keeping a player who is no longer up to reaching the standard and highest that we want to reach is another thing...
Take Daniel Sturrigde as a example. We kept him far to long when he could no longer perform at a top level and ended up being at the club 2-3 seasons longer than he should have been.
The Ox, whom we should never have bought in the first place, we are doing the same with him. If we want to be chasing titles, CL and cups we need to be moving players on who can not perform at the level we which to perform at on a regular basis, and no matter how "fantastic" Milner was, he is not so "fantastic" as he once was.
You know if Milner gets game time that there is a very high possibility that he picks up a yellow card for a miss timed tackle.

Maybe Jones, Morton or both could grow into that role if given more game time

Yep… I can’t imagine a squad with Milner and Ox in it “chasing titles, CL and cups”… nope… definitely can’t see it ever happening.

:p

Untitled.jpg

Yep… I can’t imagine a squad with Milner and Ox in it “chasing titles, CL and cups”… nope… definitely can’t see it ever happening.

Yeah The Ox came along for the ride hardly contributing, and Milner slightly more. Even Minamino and Origi contributed to Cup and Premier League more than AOC, and as much or more than Milner in the League cup.
Milner has been a great servant of the club, but it should be time to let him go

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...lain-fears-future-not-playing-two-months.html

[article]Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain fears for his Liverpool future after going two months without playing and not hearing from the club about a new contract.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, 28, hasn't been picked by Jurgen Klopp since an FA Cup tie at Nottingham Forest on March 20 despite being fit and available.

With only a year remaining on his current Anfield deal, the England midfielder is yet to be approached about a renewal and appears to be slipping down the pecking order with Naby Keita and Curtis Jones preferred in recent weeks.

A deal to sign Fulham teenager Fabio Carvalho has also been wrapped up and will be announced soon.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has a son with partner and Little Mix singer Perrie Edwards, joined Liverpool from Arsenal in 2017 for a £35million fee and has scored 17 goals in 133 games for the club.

He didn't feature in Liverpool's match day squad against Tottenham, adding to his woes, but if Liverpool allow him to leave this summer there is likely to be interest from clubs in the Premier League and Europe.

Oxlade-Chamberlain won the last of his 35 England caps against Kosovo in 2019 but Liverpool insist there are no active plans to sell him.

He is still contracted to be at Anfield next season so remains in their plans as the club adopt a 'wait and see' approach.

Liverpool are three points behind Manchester City with the Premier League looking the hardest of the four trophies they are going for. Klopp's men are next at Aston Villa on Tuesday.
[/article]

I would plan it thus…

Take a large amount of well deserved net spend from FSG. Take said amount of money to Klopp and let him buy whomever he chooses. Win the league for years to come.
The end.

Yeah, the summer shouldn't be about sticking with what we have. Divock is already leaving and we should seriously think about moving some players on like Ox and bring in replacements. I would like to see us that Touhcameni guy so at least we have some completion and future-proofing (Hendo and Milner both getting on age-wise).

THE SEARCH FOR A CENTRAL (ATTACKING?) MIDFIELDER THAT CAN BEAT HIS MAN AND THE NEXT MAN...

In the last 2 years or so we have started to play a little like Man City and Man city has started to play like us, which in some ways has helped both teams to evolve and be a little bit more dynamic.

The only thing we haven't adopted from City is the ability to have a central midfielder who can cause havoc. City has KDB, Foden and Silva as 3 players who can play somewhat more centrally and cause danger. If we can find a player like that who can still do the dirty work but has the technical ability to cause havoc with dribbling skills then I think that makes our team way more dynamic and adds another attack vector to utilize against teams that occasionally manage to shut down Trent and Robertson.

This post isn't to hate on the setup, were in quadruple, breaking records left and right...but I am writing this as a way of knowing that we can get even better. In many games this season we have struggled to break teams down. Trent/Robertson get shut down and they both resort to pumping aimless high balls into the box...If we had a KDB type in our centre mid then we could attack from the centre as well with defence-splitting dribbling.

We don't have this option currently: Ox used to be able to do this but injuries have taken away his explosive pace; The great Thiago who is the master when it comes to shimmying, feints and flicks also is not beating 3 or 4 players as he lacks that explosive pace; Keita does it in spurts but not consistent with it as his focus is more defensive; Minamino is a much better player off the ball than he is on the ball, he's great at getting into spaces but doesn't have the ability to dribble past players.

As for the young ones, people bang on about Jones but Jones is not a dribbler, Elliot from the little that I've seen of him 'could' be that guy and the same goes for Carvalho but it feels like a lot to put on a young kid at the moment.

Admittedly there aren't many central-based Midfield players who have a consistent ability to beat their man with a dribble hence why the club has invested in Elliot and Carvalho but its also on Klopp to identify that he actually wants to employ this type of player in his team/tactics. Klopp seems to like his midfielders to be workman-like, so if Klopp doesn't see a value in utilizing a player like KDB in the midfield then this whole topic is moot.

Last edited:
I wanted to go back and look at the full squad.. Tallest player is MATIP, who is 6' 5! Whoa!

41 players. 13 I have never seen play (could be wrong) listed in Bold.

That means we've used approx 24 players this season (minus two keepers Ad and karius)

Alisson1
Adrián13
Loris Karius22
Caoimhin Kelleher62
Harvey Davies95
Marcelo97

Virgil van Dijk4
Ibrahima Konaté5
Joe Gomez12
Konstantinos Tsimikas21
Andy Robertson26
Joël Matip32
Owen Beck63
Trent Alexander-Arnold66
James Norris77
Jarell Quansah78
Billy Koumetio89

Fabinho3
Thiago Alcántara6
James Milner7
Naby Keita8
Jordan Henderson14
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain15
Curtis Jones17
Diogo Jota20
Elijah Dixon-Bonner45
Isaac Mabaya52

Harvey Elliott67
Tyler Morton80
Conor Bradley84
James Balagizi85
Melkamu Frauendorf94

Roberto Firmino9
Sadio Mané10
Mohamed Salah11
Takumi Minamino18
Luis Díaz23
Divock Origi27
Kaide Gordon49
Max Woltman82
Harvey Blair86

============

On Loan -

Ben Davies
- Sheffield United
Rhys Williams - Swansea
Sheyi Ojo - Millwall
Ben Woodburn - Hearts
Sapp van den Berg - Preston
Nathaniel Phillips - Bournemouth
Neco Williams - Fulham

Last edited:
I wanted to go back and look at the full squad.. Tallest player is MATIP, who is 6' 5! Whoa!

41 players. 13 I have never seen play (could be wrong) listed in Bold.

That means we've used approx 24 players this season (minus two keepers Ad and karius)

Alisson1
Adrián13
Loris Karius22
Caoimhin Kelleher62
Harvey Davies95
Marcelo97

Virgil van Dijk4
Ibrahima Konaté5
Joe Gomez12
Konstantinos Tsimikas21
Andy Robertson26
Joël Matip32
Owen Beck63
Trent Alexander-Arnold66
James Norris77
Jarell Quansah78
Billy Koumetio89

Fabinho3
Thiago Alcántara6
James Milner7
Naby Keita8
Jordan Henderson14
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain15
Curtis Jones17
Diogo Jota20
Elijah Dixon-Bonner45
Isaac Mabaya52

Harvey Elliott67
Tyler Morton80
Conor Bradley84
James Balagizi85
Melkamu Frauendorf94

Roberto Firmino9
Sadio Mané10
Mohamed Salah11
Takumi Minamino18
Luis Díaz23
Divock Origi27
Kaide Gordon49
Max Woltman82
Harvey Blair86

============

On Loan -

Ben Davies
- Sheffield United
Rhys Williams - Swansea
Sheyi Ojo - Millwall
Ben Woodburn - Hearts
Sapp van den Berg - Preston
Nathaniel Phillips - Bournemouth
Neco Williams - Fulham

The following players played vs Shrewsbury on your bold list:
Dixon-Bonner - started the game but will leave at the end of the season apparently
Max Woltman - given a new contract, started the game
Conor Bradley - Played a couple of games this season also in the league cup vs Norwich and Preston
Melkamu Frauendorf - Sub for 10 minutes and highly thought of.

Harvey Blair - played vs Preston in the league cup
Owen Beck - also played vs Preston as a sub (token appearance was on for about 2 minutes)

You need players like Taki who are a threat without much game rhythm. He must be on, relative, buttons wages and with 5 subs next season I don't see him sitting out as much.

Minamino is a good player and has certainly improved in the time he has been here.

It’s kinda linked to what happens with the other forwards though. I mean, if we have Salah, Mane, Diaz, Firmino and Jota then it is hard to see much of a role for Minamino. If we lose one of them then maybe, but that is assuming we won’t buy another forward to replace them.

Well we're losing Origi, and given Diaz coming in we won't prioritise another forward for a while. If we want to compete on all fronts again he'll get his time and is worth keeping.

If a decent offer comes in Mini is gone! We need pace on the Right and Mini doesn't have it. He seems like an instinctive striker, a fox-in-the-box type, and that's not Klopp's style.
20m offer comes his off, which will be good for his career and allows the club to get an understudy to Salah or a replacement

I know this guy can be a "cunt" on the field turns out he can be big dick too. Hopefully Calvin Ramsay has the same balls

You need players like Taki who are a threat without much game rhythm. He must be on, relative, buttons wages and with 5 subs next season I don't see him sitting out as much.

Various websites have him on £3m to £4m per year in wages. So not “buttons”!

Various websites have him on £3m to £4m per year in wages. So not “buttons”!

Hence the use of "relative".

Most common I've heard is 70k a week, which is fine in the modern game for a squad player. He has the best goals per min ratio of any player in the prem to appear over 1000 minutes in the league, raises our profile (not that it needs it per se) even furrther in Asia and will inevitably go for a minimum of double the fee we paid to Salzburg. So...worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom