• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The not so Official January Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but there isn't a great clamour for, say, McLaughlin to go into the first XI and he's already made a bigger impact than Ince. A player needs to prove what he can do, week in week out, in the ressies before getting the treatment Ince seemed to expect as of right. If this squad is going to move the club back into a better place it needs everyone pulling in the right direction without any 'Mini Guvnor' types stinking up the atmosphere. I don't mind him coming back - as you say, he's looked good since he left - but let's not rewrite the past.

I'm not condoning what he did, or even his attitude. Just pointing out that he might see the move back to us as a vindication for his actions.
I'm also not overly excited at either Sturridge or Ince coming back if i'm honest, especially Sturridge.

Others aren't convinced either!:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...rpools-decision-target-chelsea-striker-d-1876

"
“Daniel Sturridge and Tom Ince are good players but they’re not proven quality,” he told the Sports Bar.
Sturridge can’t get into the Chelsea team, so why do Liverpool think he’s going to come here and set the place alight?
Ince is the same, he’s a good player but he’s not proven at this level. They’re also both not goalscorers.”
Arsenal have targeted Schalke star Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, while Borussia Dortmund’s Robert Lewandowski has been linked to Manchester United, and Nicol added that is the calibre of striker Liverpool should be going for.
“I’d be happy if Liverpool were being linked with Lewandowski,” he continued. “He’s got just over a year left on his contract and Borussia Dortmund would let him go.
“Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is another one [they should target]. He’s a proven goalscorer. They need to get a couple of guys who they know can get the ball in the back of the net. That will take the pressure off everybody.”​

"

Very tenious, possibly a complete fabrication but you never know!

Liverpool Target Lorenzo ‘New Lavezzi’ Insigne
"With some high profile departures from Serie A this summer, an influx of talented youngsters have began to make their mark on the league, attracting interest from all around Europe...
url-12.jpeg
Zdenek Zeman’s glorious return to Serie A has been one of the most entertaining things to watch in Calcio this season, but it was all made possible by his success at Pescara over the past two seasons; they won Serie B last season thanks to the form of Marco Verratti, Ciro Immobile and Lorenzo Insigne, Napoli’s exciting left winger. Insigne, a diminutive forward, is extremely quick and skilful, and has performed admirably filling in for the departed Ezequiel Lavezzi as Napoli attempt to return to the Champions League. He made his national team debut in September and if he continues to develop in Naples it won’t be long before the whole of Europe knows his name.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/liverpool-target-lorenzo-new-lavezzi-insigne-9-more-serie-a-starlets/

How many are around and available?
It's hard to say but not many.

There are just some players you'd be more entitled to believe they've got it in them than others.

Sturridge for me being in the 'others' bracket.

It's not just about goals though, as I'm not sure it would be wise to buy a 30+ Huntelaar for him to move Suarez out wide, where's he's less of a danger imo. Perhaps in that sense a Sturridge-like player make sense.

What are people's opinion on Suarez out wide in a 4-3-3 btw? In theory it should work but he's not been his best out there has he?

As I said in the other thread, it's surely about fluidity of movement, isn't it? No one of the front three would be in a fixed position, they would be constantly interchanging. It would require incredible degrees of understanding and concentration and discipline but if it came off it would be a defender's nightmare and also open up pockets of space for the midfielders to run into.

If we are lining up 3 in attack, then Suarez should stay in the centre. Problem is Sturridge reckons he's the new Thierry Henry and should also play through the centre. So then you stick him out on the right where he's not too happy. And after a bit you realize Stirling is better than him anyway.

On the left you have Borini who also doesn't look too great. So what's the answer! Fucked if I know. Football was a lot simpler when everyone played a bog standard 4-4-2.

Would Suarez, Sturridge/Assaidi, Gerrard/Shelvey and Borini/Sterling/Ince between them possess the attacking qualities to make it into the top 4?

I'm still not convinced Sturridge & Ince should be high up on our list of targets.

We're signing potential rather than experience or proven ability, but Rodgers will have to utilize them effectively or we're going down a well worn path that will have us going round in circles.

There's no point signing either of these 2 if they aren't going to feature regularly - and that raises questions.

Would Suarez, Sturridge/Assaidi, Gerrard/Shelvey and Borini/Sterling/Ince between them possess the attacking qualities to make it into the top 4?
Possibly. It entirely depends on the development of borini/sterling/shelvey/ince/assaidi

There is no one in that list that you would say is 'top class', and has to be in the team (SG because of recent form and age ). And that's my problem with the people we have been linked with, it's all rather 'more of the same'.

I do however appreciate the dilema BR might be in, Jan is not the best time to buy and for 15-20 mill you can't pick up a truly world-class player. But still, the 'mehness' is over-powering with Sturridge

If you roll the dice on enough talented young players, odds are a few of them will become world class in the long run. I don't think we are in a position to sign ready made world class players right now.

Possibly. It entirely depends on the development of borini/sterling/shelvey/ince/assaidi
My main concern is the lack of proven class.

Suarez's got it of course, and Gerrard's to some extent still got it imo. What about the rest?

Sterling looks a massive prospect but there will still be ups and downs before we can trust on him to deliver week in week out. Shelvey is yet to prove he's the Messiah all though I like him a lot, Assaidi and Ince are both completely unproven at this level and then there's Borini, who's not looked convincing and Sturridge, who's been a sub for most of his career.

Not convinced.

There is no one in that list that you would say is 'top class', and has to be in the team (SG because of recent form and age ). And that's my problem with the people we have been linked with, it's all rather 'more of the same'.

I do however appreciate the dilema BR might be in, Jan is not the best time to buy and for 15-20 mill you can't pick up a truly world-class player. But still, the 'mehness' is over-powering with Sturridge
£20M will buy you top European talent I am sure. Perhaps even Southern American too.

If we are lining up 3 in attack, then Suarez should stay in the centre. Problem is Sturridge reckons he's the new Thierry Henry and should also play through the centre. So then you stick him out on the right where he's not too happy. And after a bit you realize Stirling is better than him anyway.

On the left you have Borini who also doesn't look too great. So what's the answer! Fucked if I know. Football was a lot simpler when everyone played a bog standard 4-4-2.

Suarez doesn't even stay in the centre now. So you either play him alone or you play one or two more players who can aspire to his kind of movement.

We'll be signing Eggnog back next. He's scoring goals. If it wasn't for FSG's obduracy I'd hope we'd be looking - in addition to these two - for a cheap but experienced mean-minded bastard of a striker who'd make his presence felt and grab some goals in the short term. Unfortunately there aren't many of them around these days, either. Oh to sign a Speedie for a season.

To be fair to Comolli, revamping the scouting network for that area of the world was one of the few good things he did. (Presumably it wasn't dismantled after he left, because that would have been crazy.)

£20M will buy you top European talent I am sure. Perhaps even Southern American too.

The price is irrelevant to a degree, look at the likes of Ba, Cisse, Michu and many of Arsenal's pickings. It's harder and you have to have a good eye for talent and/or a great scouting system in place but anyway. I think too many managers see home based players as good investment because of the new rulings, and a safer bet, but as we well know, that doesn't always ring true.

The mehness increases each minute as I ignore my day job and search for a positive article on Sturridge, but all I can find is this. it's actually a nice write up.

"The papers seem to universally agree that Daniel Sturridge will very shortly be on the way to Liverpool from Chelsea for £12m. If the story, and the fee, proves to be accurate, then FSG are giving up far too much for far too little.
How many times must one club make the same mistake before they change their transfer philosophy?
There’s no value in ‘promising’ English players, because invariably they all come at a vastly-inflated price – and in Sturridge’s case, a vastly-inflated sense of self-worth. If he was Spanish, and if he had put together the same CV in La Liga, there wouldn’t be a club in Europe willing to pay more than £6m for him. Rightly so, there’s very little tangible benefit to having Sturridge in a side.
What Liverpool really needed in this window, was an influx of proven quality. Of course, that will always come with a price tag, but if the club are willing to hand over £12m for as theoretical a talent as Sturridge, why not use those resources more economically elsewhere? It’s quite staggering that Brendan Rodgers is seemingly willing to throw the majority of his Winter budget at a player who has never played consistently in the Premier League and who was at no point good enough to oust Fernando Torres from the Chelsea team, regardless of how low the Spaniard’s form sank.
Sturridge has ability, but so do Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing, Andy Carroll, and Joe Allen – yet those five players should not represent nearly £100m of spending. :( These are ‘useful’ players, they’re not those with which you can kick-start a club’s renaissance.
He’ll turn up, he’ll pout, he’ll celebrate two-yard tap-ins with his little ‘look at me’ dance, and he’ll turn the ball over time after time after time."

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/liverpool-on-the-verge-of-12m-mistake/

Signing Ince for 4 mill is a good piece of business regardless. If he doesnt make it we'll get that back without any problems at all. Low risk and could be great deal.

Sturridge for 12 mill is the big risk though. But he just turned 23 and the potential is massive.
That atticle that suggested that Ince and Sturridge doesnt have goals in them are taking the piss tbh.

Lewandowski would be fantastic but also a fantasy imho.

Signing Ince for 4 mill is a good piece of business regardless. If he doesnt make it we'll get that back without any problems at all. Low risk and could be great deal.

Sturridge for 12 mill is the big risk though. But he just turned 23 and the potential is massive.
That atticle that suggested that Ince and Sturridge doesnt have goals in them are taking the piss tbh.

Lewandowski would be fantastic but also a fantasy imho.

I think most are generally agreed on Ince, not costing much, could come good. However, I'm not so sure Sturridge has done anything in his career to indicate he has massive potential.

I think most are generally agreed on Ince, not costing much, could come good. However, I'm not so sure Sturridge has done anything in his career to indicate he has massive potential.

He's shown it when he has gotten a run in the first team. Both at Chelsea and Bolton.
Imho he's a natural goalscorer and a great finisher, so the potential is deffo there.

They both have pace aswell and can play in several positions.

He's shown it when he has gotten a run in the first team. Both at Chelsea and Bolton.
Imho he's a natural goalscorer and a great finisher, so the potential is deffo there.

They both have pace aswell and can play in several positions.

Normally that would be a positive, but I just rather buy a traditional striker, who plays through the middle and whose only job is to score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom