• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Mo Contract Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's that now 8 in 8 this season. Give him whatever he wants, just sign him up
He's motivated for sure, so either he gets the contract he wants with liverpool or goes to PSG. Undoubtedly the Italians and Turks will come up with what they think is a fair offer (loan deal where we pay 80% of the wages)

Just pay the man. Injury free so won't lose any pace for a good few years yet. Worth every penny. Any replacement will be a downgrade.

Poor Ray Houghton got all muddled over his stats yesterday - said it was a great achievement for Mo to get 151 goals in 100 premier league games, eclipsing even Sir Roger who got 148 in 100 games ... :)

Liverpool journalist drops worrying Mo Salah claim; FSG should pay attention

Posted by
Ste Carson
September 28, 2021
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailMore
Salah-Brentford-goal-1440x720.jpg

Simon Hughes, journalist at The Athletic, believes there are presently no ongoing talks between Liverpool and Mo Salah over a new contract.
Speaking on The Red Agenda podcast, the reporter said that he thinks the Egyptian superstar deserves a new deal.

MORE: Thiago has become a leading player for Liverpool – here’s how
Citing Salah’s frankly ridiculous goal-scoring form and the way he looks after himself, Hughes believes Liverpool’s No.11 is actually getting better with age.
As I understand, there isn’t any negotiation going on at the moment. I think there should be, I think he’s Liverpool’s best attacking player, I think he could play for a very long time,” the journalist said.
We’ve spoken about this before in terms of the way he looks after himself, he doesn’t seem to be slowing up in any way – in fact, I think he’s getting better.

We’re not judging his goals against the amazing first season when he scored what was it 44, 45 goals in a season? I think his all-round play is better, I think he’s a very important player.”
Salah-Liverpool-Ramy-Abbas-Issa.jpg

Mo Salah has become one of the world’s best players under Jurgen Klopp
If it’s indeed true that Liverpool aren’t actively in talks with Salah’s representatives over a fresh contract, owners FSG need to pay attention.
The Egypt international is one of the best players and in the world and that isn’t going to change for a number of years, as we’ve seen with the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

With less than 24 months left on his current contract with Liverpool, as per Forbes, Liverpool need to act sharpish if they want to avoid losing their talisman.

It hasn't gotten alot of commentary bit 100 league goals for us is a fantastic achievement. That's pretty elite company, only 13 players in the clubs history have done it.

The fact that he did it in just 151 games is truly exceptional, eclipsing theall time greats of Hunt and Rush. He's one of the greatest to pull on a red jersey, hes already part of the pantheon of Liverpool greats. Enjoy him while he's here because he's a phenomenal player at the peak of his powers.

Spot on.

Liverpool journalist drops worrying Mo Salah claim; FSG should pay attention

Posted by
Ste Carson
September 28, 2021
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailMore
Salah-Brentford-goal-1440x720.jpg

Simon Hughes, journalist at The Athletic, believes there are presently no ongoing talks between Liverpool and Mo Salah over a new contract.
Speaking on The Red Agenda podcast, the reporter said that he thinks the Egyptian superstar deserves a new deal.

MORE: Thiago has become a leading player for Liverpool – here’s how
Citing Salah’s frankly ridiculous goal-scoring form and the way he looks after himself, Hughes believes Liverpool’s No.11 is actually getting better with age.
As I understand, there isn’t any negotiation going on at the moment. I think there should be, I think he’s Liverpool’s best attacking player, I think he could play for a very long time,” the journalist said.
We’ve spoken about this before in terms of the way he looks after himself, he doesn’t seem to be slowing up in any way – in fact, I think he’s getting better.

We’re not judging his goals against the amazing first season when he scored what was it 44, 45 goals in a season? I think his all-round play is better, I think he’s a very important player.”
Salah-Liverpool-Ramy-Abbas-Issa.jpg

Mo Salah has become one of the world’s best players under Jurgen Klopp
If it’s indeed true that Liverpool aren’t actively in talks with Salah’s representatives over a fresh contract, owners FSG need to pay attention.
The Egypt international is one of the best players and in the world and that isn’t going to change for a number of years, as we’ve seen with the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

With less than 24 months left on his current contract with Liverpool, as per Forbes, Liverpool need to act sharpish if they want to avoid losing their talisman.
Don't believe that for our second. Column filter.

From a longer general news article on the Athletic....

So far, Edwards has not added Mohamed Salah to that list and this fact has since taken over conversations about Liverpool’s future under Fenway Sports Group (FSG). The Athletic understands it is Salah’s preference to remain at Liverpool but he has seen how smoothly City dealt with Kevin De Bruyne’s contract negotiations and wonders why it has not been the same for him. De Bruyne is a year older and has missed more games for City through injury than Salah has for Liverpool, where his record is exemplary.
Salah feels as though he is yet to reach his prime but Liverpool have been reluctant to pay what he feels he is worth because it has the potential to set a new marker in the club’s wage structure. He has less than two years left on his current deal. Will a compromise be reached?
The uncertainty has led to FSG’s fiercest critics reminding of the ownership group’s limitations. It is feared Salah will reach the same point as Mookie Betts at the Boston Red Sox: the star right fielder, a year younger than Salah, who was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2020 because FSG, led by Henry, decided a renewed investment in him had the potential to see wages spiral out of control.

Does anyone here know how that Red Sox business worked out, i.e.whether it's regarded as having been a good decision or a poor one? The implication in that article is the latter but I can't see a good reason just to assume that. We don't have a sheikhdom's oil revenues to fall back on.

Does anyone here know how that Red Sox business worked out, i.e.whether it's regarded as having been a good decision or a poor one? The implication in that article is the latter but I can't see a good reason just to assume that. We don't have a sheikhdom's oil revenues to fall back on.
It's regarded as a terrible decision by FSG but it turned out well for Betts who won the World Series. It's a very good analogy

In terms of reacting to big money signings I've made at least two absolute howlers down the years. The first and still the biggest was thinking we'd been done when we signed the King to replace Keegan, but my initial Do Not Want on Mo Salah is a "worthy" companion to it. How wrong can one be? :D

Add me to that list. I may have called him a Chelsea flop JJ :)

I had a pop at Thiago on here and Frogfish put me right. I mean Thiago isn't that great but he's much better than my initial assessment.

What I am reading is that they are afraid that if they pay him what he wants it introduces a whole Nother level of salary. And while it might work out great for Mo for the next few years the long-term financial impact might be too big.

Sounds like poo. Pay the man.

What I am reading is that they are afraid that if they pay him what he wants it introduces a whole Nother level of salary. And while it might work out great for Mo for the next few years the long-term financial impact might be too big.

Sounds like poo. Pay the man.
But it would be easy for the club to put up Salah’s multi-year stats - goals scored, games played (injury free), trophies won, merchandise sold, etc, when some dickhead wants parity.
It’s like an employee with normal output complaining that a super employee with ludicrous contributions to the company over years is getting a promotion and massive raise.
You do the same, and we’ll compensate you the same.
Salah just needs to be paid.

Can we perhaps re-name this thread or put “greedy” in quotes or something? I think the original media story was based on an attempt by the owners to engineer a bit of a backlash against Mo’s contract demands, which obviously failed - 99% of the LFC fans you talk to would say he’s the all-time legend of the club and a worldwide super-star and should be paid what he’s worth. If anyone is being “greedy,” it’s the FSG at this point.

If I remember correctly, after that Salah deal fell through, we almost ended up buying Konoplyanka with the Dnipro owner pulling out on the last day of January transfer window.

Funny how things in football eventually turn out. Konoplyanka at the time was probably rated more highly than Salah. He'd had an excellent Euros in 2012, and he was looked at as the new Hazard. His career never took off.

Salah, on the other hand, had a couple of difficult years, but made himself into one of the best players in Europe through sheer dedication and work ethic.

If I remember correctly, after that Salah deal fell through, we almost ended up buying Konoplyanka with the Dnipro owner pulling out on the last day of January transfer window.

Funny how things in football eventually turn out. Konoplyanka at the time was probably rated more highly than Salah. He'd had an excellent Euros in 2012, and he was looked at as the new Hazard. His career never took off.

Salah, on the other hand, had a couple of difficult years, but made himself into one of the best players in Europe through sheer dedication and work ethic.

Konoplyanka really nosedived after a couple of decent, but not spectacular seasons with Sevilla and Schalke. I stopped following closely, so not sure what happened, but at this point he's de-facto retired – doesn't even get in the squad for Shakhtar where he returned after Schalke dumped him. Shame, the talent was there...

Can we perhaps re-name this thread or put “greedy” in quotes or something? I think the original media story was based on an attempt by the owners to engineer a bit of a backlash against Mo’s contract demands, which obviously failed - 99% of the LFC fans you talk to would say he’s the all-time legend of the club and a worldwide super-star and should be paid what he’s worth. If anyone is being “greedy,” it’s the FSG at this point.

I don't agree. It isn't an easy one, this, because Mo Salah is playing so well, but sorry - whether I'm in a minority over this or not, I do think half a mill.a week is greedy and I don't think it makes sense to tar the owners with that brush. You can bet the offer Mo's either been made or will be made is a very generous one.

I don't agree. It isn't an easy one, this, because Mo Salah is playing so well, but sorry - whether I'm in a minority over this or not, I do think half a mill.a week is greedy and I don't think it makes sense to tar the owners with that brush. You can bet the offer Mo's either been made or will be made is a very generous one.

I agree that in general football players being paid anywhere close to that amount of money is pretty obscene, but if you accept the realities of the market, Salah should be earning one of the top salaries in world football, because he is obviously one of the best players in world football and also a global icon in a way that someone like Mane or even Van Dijk isn't. There must be a way to structure this in a way that doesn't totally break the wage pyramid at the club. And I think what he's asking for (even if those figures are not exaggerated) is still well below the likes of Neymar or what Mbappe will earn in his next contract.

Last edited:
Is Salah’s contribution to the team double/triple/quadruple the value of van Dijk, Alisson or Fabinho? No. That’s why I think £25 million a year is absurd. That figure to anyone is absolutely ridiculous. And who will end up paying that? Us. To facilitate a wage the fans will be the ones stung.

Unfortunately, at least until the revolution, we live in a capitalist world where the market, and not fairness, dictates

You can see the issue with our other key players. If they aren’t compensated in a similar way they walk and we go shit again and Mo won’t be getting as many accolades.

Maybe it is greedy but PSG could and probably would offer that kind of salary to him.

It’s definitely a difficult decision for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom