• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The kids are alright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys it's not about Kane.

The offence is towards people who are, through no fault of their own, mentally handicapped and face discrimination as a result. They do not need to have their condition used as an insult or a synonym for stupid.

Frankly, being compared to Kane is an aggravating factor . I belive Harvey got off lightly here

[article]Where have all the strikers gone?
It wasn't too long ago you couldn't move for promising new strikers at the Academy.

Matters have changed somewhat this season, however, more through accident than any particular design.

Bobby Duncan has departed, Paul Glatzel is on the long road to recovery after an ACL injury and Fidel O'Rourke could be out for another month with a hernia complaint.

Rhian Brewster's elevation to the first team and Layton Stewart's appearance for the U18s earlier in the day meant the U23s had to improvise with Christie-Davies ostensibly playing in the centre of a front three, although it was more at the attacking tip of a midfield diamond.

By the end, Yasser Larouci reprised his role against Wigan Athletic earlier in the month by going up top and almost got on the end of one cross.

Goals haven't really been a problem at this level – Liverpool had 14 in their previous five games – but the lack of a main striker remains a poser.
[/article]

[article]Where have all the strikers gone?
It wasn't too long ago you couldn't move for promising new strikers at the Academy.

Matters have changed somewhat this season, however, more through accident than any particular design.

Bobby Duncan has departed, Paul Glatzel is on the long road to recovery after an ACL injury and Fidel O'Rourke could be out for another month with a hernia complaint.

Rhian Brewster's elevation to the first team and Layton Stewart's appearance for the U18s earlier in the day meant the U23s had to improvise with Christie-Davies ostensibly playing in the centre of a front three, although it was more at the attacking tip of a midfield diamond.

By the end, Yasser Larouci reprised his role against Wigan Athletic earlier in the month by going up top and almost got on the end of one cross.

Goals haven't really been a problem at this level – Liverpool had 14 in their previous five games – but the lack of a main striker remains a poser.
[/article]

Finally, a clean sheet! This is a positive result for he kids considering how shortchanged they were up front.

As promised, I've changed the thread title after another win (or 3 or 4, actually) by the U23s. Watched the extended highlights of the 5:3 win over Brighton in EPL2 and here are some takaways:
  • Nothing new here, but Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones are so obviously the 2 outstanding talents of this side. Everything good we did was created by one of them or them combining together. Elliott started brighter, won and converted a penalty; Jones got better as the game progressed, scored our 4th and 5th and was unplayable by the end.
  • Isaac Christie-Davis was superb in his second game coming back after a long-term injury. 2 excellent assists and a goal complemented Elliott's and Jones's efforts and helped the U23s run up a 4:0 lead by 48th minute.
  • On a negative note, we still can't defend. Van der Berg was once again a liability – gifted Brighton their 2nd goal by being caught in possession, then switched off for the 3rd they scored straight from the kick-off in 93rd minute. Larouci at fault for 1st and 3rd.
  • Neco Williams, Keleher, Brewster and Hoever didn't play in this game because they are training with the first team.
A few days later a stronger U23 team (although technically U19) totally dismantled Napoli 7:0. This time Hoever and Neco Williams were involved, the latter in particular absolutely tore up the right flank in attack. Curtis Jones scored a hat-trick and his 3rd goal in particular would make any senior pro proud – cut inside from the left onto his right foot, then just as the defenders were catching up to him switched the ball back to his left and let fly into the top corner. He's clearly too good for this level.

Last edited:
[article]The son of former Hull City and Wigan Athletic defender Maynor Figueroa is starring with Liverpool juniors.

Keyrol Figueroa, at 13, plays for Liverpool's academy and is making a name for himself.

Mum Sandra Norales told Diario La Prensa: “He's in U13 and U14 levels. He's doing well in his matches, last season he scored 90 goals, they put him with the older ones, but he's learning. That is good for him.

“He has an average of two goals per game, he's doing incredible things, really."

Keyrol has British citizenship and his mum hopes that he can become a future international – be that for England or Honduras.

Sandra added: “Maynor made a great career in England, this helps, but Keyrol has achieved what he is today with his own merits and he has a lot to learn.

“He must know that he has to overcome this name at the top. This is a competition, here it's not what you did, it's about doing and now.

“Playing and playing here you haven't achieved anything, you simply have talent and nothing else.

“It's a great experience for him and I hope he takes advantage of it. In the future I hope to see him in some national team."

Maynor Figueroa is now playing for Houston Dynamo.[/article]

Layton Stewart - one to watch?

[article]Layton Stewart continued his impressive goalscoring form by scoring twice to help Liverpool under-18s open the year with a victory.

Stewart took his tally for 12 to the season as Barry Lewtas' side beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0 at Kirkby on Saturday afternoon.

The 17-year-old also laid on the third goal for Fidel O'Rourke, with Liverpool now closing the gap on U18 Premier League North leaders Manchester City to five points with a game in hand.
[/article]

ENcLwN0UUAUEiKd

I guess this thread is relevant again after the Everton game. Who has impressed you the most?

Importantly given our game, we do look like we've got some very decent FB options coming through. Neco and Yasser both look very good, and we have Hoever too, of course. It's no secret how well Jones has been doing, and I wonder whether this Summer is the time for him to be loaned to a good Championship club. I'd keep Harvey Elliot around. That wasn't his most productive game, but I think he can only learn being around our forwards, and perhaps might begin to make some appearances sooner than we think.

Importantly given our game, we do look like we've got some very decent FB options coming through. Neco and Yasser both look very good, and we have Hoever too, of course. It's no secret how well Jones has been doing, and I wonder whether this Summer is the time for him to be loaned to a good Championship club. I'd keep Harvey Elliot around. That wasn't his most productive game, but I think he can only learn being around our forwards, and perhaps might begin to make some appearances sooner than we think.

Surprised Hoever didn’t get any minutes

Explained: How Neco Williams' development is helped by a former LFC full-back

Glenn Price@GlennPrice94
Neco Williams' talents that have seen him reach Liverpool's first team have been honed with the help of someone who's been there and done it.

The 18-year-old full-back impressed again when handed the opportunity to appear for Jürgen Klopp's side, helping produce a clean sheet in Sunday's FA Cup victory over Everton.
Gaining more and more first-team exposure, Williams is able to showcase the abilities he developed at the club's Academy and by working directly with former Reds right-back Rob Jones.
Jones, who regularly works at the Kirkby complex mentoring youth prospects, enjoys a long and fruitful relationship with the Wales youth international.
c679bd9c123566d7afab39d1871458e9b1e79b82.jpeg

"My son used to play with him," Jones tells Liverpoolfc.com. "So even before I joined Liverpool when Brendan Rodgers asked me to come and start helping with the Academy and mentoring, I knew Neco anyway.
"It's no surprise he would go into the first team and do well. I had no worries about him at all. I was pretty confident that he would go in there and play like he did [against Everton]. He's got such ability.
"I said this to Neco the other day, 'You'll need me more when things aren't going so right'.
"At the moment when I see him playing well, getting the crosses in and defending well, I'm just sort of a friend to him and he knows I'm there."

Williams' Everton display was just his second outing for the seniors and followed the assist he provided for Divock Origi's equaliser against Arsenal in a Carabao Cup tie back in October.

“The thing with Neco is that he’s got a bit of everything as a basis to build upon," Jones, who made 243 appearances for the club between 1991-1998, continues. "That's a great start.
"His positional sense when he's defending, we have worked on that quite a lot. He's always been a good striker and crosser of the ball, obviously we do crossing training all the time, but typically you don't have to do it.
"With Neco, it comes natural to him. He'll always put a good ball in. It's just about reminding him of his defensive position.
"We work on it and when he doesn't do it right in a game that's when I'll pull him aside – just like the other coaches at the Academy – and explain, so hopefully next time he'll do it better.
"I suppose Neco has done it the way I [did]. I was a right-back and a defender, and over the years got better at crosses and running forward."
Training regularly at Melwood and impressing the coaching staff saw Williams included in the 20-man squad that travelled to Qatar for the FIFA Club World Cup.

Entering a dressing full of world-class stars and proven winners could have been somewhat daunting for a teenager. However, Jones feels Williams' personality has been developing just as well as his footballing ability over the years.
"I've definitely noticed he's come on, not just on the football pitch but off the football pitch," the 48-year-old states. "That's what we work on as well – his personality.
"When you talk to him you get something back off him and he does listen and he'll ask you questions. He wants to learn.
"It's such a pleasure to work with somebody like that. You know that when you're trying to help them and tell them stuff that they are learning and listening."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom