• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Team of 2000s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it's a matter of style as much as anything. IMO Torres and Suarez are easily the 2 most exciting attackers I've seen for us, and Torres was easily the most elegant/beautiful.

Mane and Salah obviously did great things but they never really thrilled me like those 2 did.

Thats fair enough. I wouldnt' be angry if torres was in for mane

If Thiago was Captain America, Xabi would be Galactus who eats Thiagos for cereals.

Only someone like Xabi is fitting enough to stand alongside our Captain Marvel in the hall of fame.

The best Thiago can hope for may be SHIELD or the Avengers backup team. Or summat like that.

I guess this is the geek-me equivalent of @tombrown seeing an essay of grammatical errors!!!!

Hyypia was one of my favourite players but he's redundant with Van Dijk who can give us that aerial domination and positioning plus other stuff.

Carragher has no place in this side because it doesn't need his type of defender. It has to be Matip who gives the team that Hansen esque quality.

Hard to leave out Alonso but I'd probably go for Thiago / Fabinho / Gerrard.

Front three is Mane / Suarez / Salah.

Hyypia was one of my favourite players but he's redundant with Van Dijk who can give us that aerial domination and positioning plus other stuff.

Carragher has no place in this side because it doesn't need his type of defender. It has to be Matip who gives the team that Hansen esque quality.

So my team basically.
Scary huh, not the team, but sharing an opinion with me....

anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif

This is the correct answer.

I think a few of you have forgotten how great Xabi was for us.

Only recently Thiago was criticised around here and now he’s in the best team ever. Lol.

I mean, to do it over 49 games (with many as a substitute) compared to Alonso’s 143 games is no small feat either.

Last edited:
I think a few of you have forgotten how great Xabi was for us.

Only recently Thiago was criticised around here and now he’s in the best team ever. Lol.

Carragher was great for us too.

Like Hyypia, Xabi was one my faves... I just think Thiago fits better in this team.

I'm picking a team rather than an individuals based on longevity or whatever at the club.

Not a chance. I like the guy (who doesn't?), a top pro and a true Red, but he'd be nowhere near our team of the century so far if I were picking it.

Sure Xabi just passed it sideways?

That was something said here once, right?

I'd take Carra out for Matip.

And then that's the rest of the team.

Now, I know they're different types of players, but if you're shoehorning Torres in, I feel it's unfair to sturridge. At his peak sturridge was fucking magic.

Personally, it's mane Suarez and Salah, however

Consistency is key. Sturridge never had that. Massive flop in my mind. for whatever reason

Agree with everything except my midfield would be Thiago/Mascher/Gerrard

Indeed. His first few games were at RB and he didn't just "do a job" there but looked at home in that position. Early on in the video there's one of his tackles from the Miracle of Istanbul when he filled in at RB as Milan were chucking everything at us late on and it was vital to try not to give free kicks away. He and Souey are in CM in my idea of the All-Time XI. What a combo THAT would have been.

"If I have to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake."

As much as I love Gerrard, and as great as those tackles are, I've always appreciated players that never had to resort to last ditch tackles like that. Always saw those kind of tackles as a last resort.

Yeah depends on personal preferences. I just preferred the more measured approach. If you see a CB doing all that, then yeah, he's probably erratic and out of position often.

"If I have to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake."

As much as I love Gerrard, and as great as those tackles are, I've always appreciated players that never had to resort to last ditch tackles like that. Always saw those kind of tackles as a last resort.

A team game. So you might make that tackle to mop up someonelses mistake.

I think everyone got taught when they were a kid that if you don’t go in hard or go in half hearted that’s when you get hurt, Stevie must have been shit scared of getting hurt… he’d probably get a yellow for every one of those tackles today though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom