• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spurs vs Liverpool (15/09/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think last week showed that we need someone in midfield who will lift their head up and drive forward. Milner is different again in that he's prone to roam and move out to the wings to support players and provide good deliveries, so you need a player with him who will sit and cover the midfield, the problem against Leicester was that Henderson had a few runners from deep to pick up and was pretty lost, while Gini reverted to type and was invisible. I'd go with Henderson sitting, Milner being a bit more disciplined and then either Shaqiri or Keita infront to provide that invention on the break.

I'd also be tempted to drop Firmino and move Salah central, but then this is exactly the sort of game where you'd expected Bobby to do all of his typical dogged brilliance.
Salah central, Firmino on the bench, and Shaqiri RW is the formation I proposed above. Considering Firmino (and Fabinho) will have been with the Brazilian squad and had a long journey home it's a viable option.

I think this game is likely to be quite interesting tactically. Last season at Wembley they played a kind of 3-5-2, but with Eriksen and Ali and 2 WBs, they only had one proper CM on the pitch in Winks. At ours they played 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond of Dembele, Dier, Eriksen and Ali. I really think the best form of defence is attack. I want Kieta to play, to force them to track our only midfielder likely to break the lines. Robbo and Trent have a key job too, not only in occupying their excellent FBs, but potentially in giving Ali and Eriksen a defensive job to think about. It would be lovely for our front three to click here. Fucking HATE 12.30 KOs, but it is the same for them.

Salah central, Firmino on the bench, and Shaqiri RW is the formation I proposed above. Considering Firmino (and Fabinho) will have been with the Brazilian squad and had a long journey home it's a viable option.
I don't get the whole travel thing. Its not like he's not going to be in complete and utter comfort on the plane and on top of that he doesn't start for Brazil so will be fresh. I'll be very surprised if Firmino doesn't start against Spurs as Klopp loves him and we have no one else in the whole squad that offers what he does.

In theory Fabinho is the player with the best mix of attributes to battle Moussa Dembele at the heart of the midfield and prevent Lucas Moura and Alli from finding space between the lines. I won't be totally shocked if he starts. Sometimes Klopp likes to spring surprises for big games, last year no one has anticipated Karius starting over Ming in the 4th game of the season (I think) against Arsenal, but it worked out well in that game.

Keita has been arguably playing worse with every game and rightly dropped for Leicester, didn't do much after coming on as a sub – I think he'll be the one to make way for either Fabinho or Hendo. Milner 100% starts and probably big-game Gini too.

Dier, if fit, will start after the Watford debacle, in which Dembele was atrocious.

Milner is undroppable at the minute and Keita provides us with some guile in the middle, which leaves one place in the middle.

I don't get the whole travel thing. Its not like he's not going to be in complete and utter comfort on the plane and on top of that he doesn't start for Brazil so will be fresh. I'll be very surprised if Firmino doesn't start against Spurs as Klopp loves him and we have no one else in the whole squad that offers what he does.
As a frequent long distance traveller (Asia to Europe or NZ etc.) I can say that the travelling itself is tiring (long distance always Business class but short haul almost always in Cattle) but not debilitating in itself when you can lay flat and get decent meals. However if there are major time differences then that fucks you up (jetlag) as your body struggles to readjust (and there are major time differences between Europe and North & South America).

As a frequent long distance traveller (Asia to Europe or NZ etc.) I can say that the travelling itself is tiring (long distance always Business class but short haul almost always in Cattle) but not debilitating in itself when you can lay flat and get decent meals. However if there are major time differences then that fucks you up (jetlag) as your body struggles to readjust (and there are major time differences between Europe and North & South America).

Agree, Business class seats/beds help but the whole time thing plays hell with the brain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never got the whole jetlag thing. But I've got a total 28hr flight to Brazil in a few months so I reserve the right to take that back!

I've never got the whole jetlag thing. But I've got a total 28hr flight to Brazil in a few months so I reserve the right to take that back!

It is a thing. And it is always hugely worse coming back across the Atlantic than going to America. But I've always done it in cattle class to be fair.

It is a thing. And it is always hugely worse coming back across the Atlantic than going to America. But I've always done it in cattle class to be fair.

My trips are east out west home and so I ‘die’ on the out journey and .... take advantage of the business class perks on the way back

My trips are east out west home and so I ‘die’ on the out journey and .... take advantage of the business class perks on the way back

Where do you go East Dee?

Gomez will have his toughest test yet with Harry Kane playing on him, how that battle plays out will be key.

I have a feeling this will be the game Keita announces his arrival in the league by tearing spurs a new one.

Jetlag is due to time difference, the class of travel can help, but wont get rid of it entirely and can work against it (*). I found my most effective way to combat it was not to adapt. When I used to go to Arizona for work, I would go to bed at 9-10pm and get up at around 2am every morning while there (every now and then a mid week bender meant I went to bed after I got up).

At the end of the week , when I flew home, I was wrecked and would sleep all day, but after that was fine

(*) The odd occasion I got upgraded, I found I slept too well on the flights on the way home, which messed up my body clock even more, while the poor comfort of cattle meant I slept only fitfully, so was ready for the mother of all lie ins when I got home.

Jetlag is due to time difference, the class of travel can help, but wont get rid of it entirely and can work against it (*). I found my most effective way to combat it was not to adapt. When I used to go to Arizona for work, I would go to bed at 9-10pm and get up at around 2am every morning while there (every now and then a mid week bender meant I went to bed after I got up).

At the end of the week , when I flew home, I was wrecked and would sleep all day, but after that was fine

(*) The odd occasion I got upgraded, I found I slept too well on the flights on the way home, which messed up my body clock even more, while the poor comfort of cattle meant I slept only fitfully, so was ready for the mother of all lie ins when I got home.
Supposedly the best way is to try to eat and sleep as per the time zone you will be arriving at. Which may mean sleeping much later (watch a few films) or forcing yourself to try to sleep earlier. Taking melatonin helps too.

Supposedly the best way is to try to eat and sleep as per the time zone you will be arriving at. Which may mean sleeping much later (watch a few films) or forcing yourself to try to sleep earlier. Taking melatonin helps too.
Yeah that's what I usually do and I've never encountered major issues. Just sleep when you'd sleep naturally in their time and you're fine

They are flying over on a private plane arent they? And they've done this many times before. Think they'll be fine.

I only had jetlag (or that which I assume was such) once.
I flew to LA with work, actually Sacremento first then LA.

It was a horrible and weird feeling. Like your equilibrium is just slightly askew, and like the world underfoot is not quite stable.
I felt constantly as though I were swaying slighlty, being pulled by unknown and unnamed forces strung along the laylines of the planet.

It didnt affect my sleep and returning home I was fine, but I distinctly remember stood on the roof of the hotel on Sunset Boulavard as all my companions swam in the pool and drank readily of the complimentary booze feeling as though I may be in considerable trouble as my place in the universe just didnt feel quite right. As though I were off centre and stood two feet apart from where I ought be.

I did not enjoy it. Just existing was tough. I doubt I could have played 90 minutes of competetive association football. Also because I have not enough talent with the ball for that.

I've never had jetlag cos I've never travelled that far.

However, wouldn't just taking a few benzos on the flight to knock you out for the entire flight help, or is it that your internal bodyclock thinks you should be asleep when you're awake & viceversa once you're actually there, regardless how much sleep you've had on the plane?

It was a horrible and weird feeling. Like your equilibrium is just slightly askew, and like the world underfoot is not quite stable.
I felt constantly as though I were swaying slighlty, being pulled by unknown and unnamed forces strung along the laylines of the planet.

It didnt affect my sleep and returning home I was fine, but I distinctly remember stood on the roof of the hotel on Sunset Boulavard as all my companions swam in the pool and drank readily of the complimentary booze feeling as though I may be in considerable trouble as my place in the universe just didnt feel quite right. As though I were off centre and stood two feet apart from where I ought be.
deeppp.jpg

Well that's what I do, except the other way round. When in the US I sleep (not eat) as close as possible as if I was still in Ireland. As I only generally spend 3-5 days in US, this makes more sense to me rather than trying to adapt myself in advance for US time & then trying to reverse it almost immediately.

I also eat too much when I travel, so since I have been out of work have not had to battle the bulge so much

I've never had jetlag in my life and i've travelled to the US and asia regularly for work. Im sure Firmino must be used to it by now. I can see him starting against Spurs.

I've never had jetlag in my life and i've travelled to the US and asia regularly for work. Im sure Firmino must be used to it by now. I can see him starting against Spurs.
Must be your part black quick twitch genes GLEN!

Where do you go East Dee?

India (Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru) but not expecting to go again for a good while. May have to go to San Francisco in the new year though

I did not enjoy it. Just existing was tough. I doubt I could have played 90 minutes of competetive association football. Also because I have not enough talent with the ball for that.

Ugh. Yep, great description. I've had that with work travel even though I travel at most one time zone over. This spring i had a trip where lost baggage combined with a short overnight layover meant i had 3 hours sleep before getting on another flight to take me to my destination. I felt drunk and hungover. Couldn't function when I got to destination. Then, my work hours were shifted from normal, i needed tons of caffeine to function, and up north the sun doesn't set until after midnight. My sleep was completely and totally fucked. Was a wreck the whole trip.

Ming injured, will miss the spurs game.
Kelleher on the bench?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom