• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Spurs vs Liverpool (15/09/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superchimp

Active
Henderson cannot start for me, far too much sideways passing slowing our overall play down - Klopp has come out and said Fabinho is ready so I would get him involved in this one.

Alisson

TAA
VVD
Gomez
Robertson

Fabinho
Keita
Wijnaldum

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Milner Keita and Henderson.

The ghost can take a break.

Too big a game for Fabhino to make his debut.

Firmino playing in Brazil 36 hours before so I’d start Shaqiri.

The rest as you were

Keita, Milner and Gini. Not the game you want Fabinho to start, but maybe an option from the bench.

Why do people insist on dropping Milner
Best player in the middle last 18 months

Fabinho will be on the bench. Hendo should be dropped to the bench. Agree on Firmino starting from the bench due to traveling.

Now that the bench is settled :

.......................... Alisson

TAA ......... Gomez ...... VvD ....... Robertson

........................Wijnaldum

.............Milner ....................Keita

Shaqiri ................Salah ............ Mane

Its a shame our players who didn't play at the world cup have to rejoin their international teams. We could have doubled down on the advantage of having fresh-er players like VVD, Gomez, Robbo, Milner & Gini.

I can't see any changes from the line up that played Leicester, although I too would like to see Keita back in. I wonder how much better Hendo will look when he has Keita always looking to provide him an option. The pace of Joe & VVD will be v important against Moura.

--------------Alisson-------------
TAA---Moore---VVD----Robbo
---------------Hendo--------------
--------Milner------Keita---------
Salah------Firmino------Mane

Whilst I like the idea of Shaqiri coming in - i'm not sure i'd want to drop any of the front three versus spurs. I think rotation begins in the Saints game at home.

The rest as you were

Jeez, I hate agreeing with DB, but I think this is quite sensible.

The rest as you were

I don't think Henderson was any worse than Wijanldum on Saturday, because he wasn't, so I don't mind which one drops out for Keita. Also possible that Firmino could be given a rest - he's not started the season that well anyway - but Shaqiri, Salah and Mane as the front three would be the shortest attack since Anglo-Zanzibar in 1896.

As for Fabinho, yeah, he's not been considered good enough to start, or even feature in squads, so it seems rather odd to say he'll start against Spurs. Wonder what the problem is? Hope he isn't a total fucking disaster like his old team-mate Bakayoko was.

Fabinho will be on the bench. Hendo should be dropped to the bench. Agree on Firmino starting from the bench due to traveling.

I heard Mel Reddy say why would you have both Henderson & Fabinho on the bench? If you need to tighten up the game in the second half you bring on Henderson, who knows the opposition & knows the league, you would not bring on Fabinho. And you wouldn't bring Fabinho on for any other reason (unless you are short of cover for the defenders).

Fabinho on the bench if Henderson starts makes sense (as does vice verso, albeit unlikely at this stage), but both on the bench doesn't make sense

Cue both on the bench ….

I heard Mel Reddy say why would you have both Henderson & Fabinho on the bench? If you need to tighten up the game in the second half you bring on Henderson, who knows the opposition & knows the league, you would not bring on Fabinho. And you wouldn't bring Fabinho on for any other reason (unless you are short of cover for the defenders).

Fabinho on the bench if Henderson starts makes sense (as does vice verso, albeit unlikely at this stage), but both on the bench doesn't make sense

Cue both on the bench ….
Except we know that Hendo doesn't have to play as a DM, he can play as a CM too - which is his natural position anyway. Fabinho can also play RB - meaning we wouldn't have to break up our CB partnership (Clyne may be on the bench too as cover though).

Last edited:

I concur. They won't be expecting Salah to play there so it may catch them out resulting in an early goal or two.

Except we know that Hendo doesn't have to play as a DM, he can play as a CM too - which is his natural position anyway. Robinho can also play RB - meaning we wouldn't have to break up our CB partnership (Clyne may be on the bench too as cover though).

What? What the fuck? Just...what?

Cue both on the bench ….
Fabinho was selected as right back for the brazilian squad, possibly offers the same to us, im sure Klopp spoke of his versatility upon signing as a key attribute. Henderson offers little/no versatility

Fabinho ! God only knows why it comes out as Robinho. Too many hoes.

That confused me a bit, but I didn't really understand the rest of it either. Was it about versatility and options from the bench?

Cos YIKES I would not like to see Fabs making his debut appearance as a RB or whatever, nonono. We already have two thanks.

That confused me a bit, but I didn't really understand the rest of it either. Was it about versatility and options from the bench?

Cos YIKES I would not like to see Fabs making his debut appearance as a RB or whatever, nonono. We already have two thanks.
Yep. Versatility and options from the bench.

Alisson
Trent
Virgil
Gomez
Robertson

Milner
Wijnaldum
Keita

Mane
Firmino
Shaqiri

Agree with the front and back line. But the middle is worrying...I expect this game to be brutal in midfield and I dont think Keita is ready for this. I would definitely prefer Hendo to start instead of Keita.. then maybe later we change it. Would have loved to have Ox for this game but it aint gonna sadly happen.

There is a strong chance Fabinho will have a sub appearance if the game gets difficult and we have a lot of pressure on. The Spurs midfield is more faster and physically stronger than us. Our ability to win will depend heavily on us moving that ball very quickly. They will be under heavy pressure to win this game after their performance against Watford. I just hope our midfield does not get bullied.

Note that Fabinho has joined Firmino, away with the Brazilian National Squad.

Fabinho's wait for his Liverpool debut is likely to end soon after the international break.

The Brazil international has yet to feature competitively for the Reds following his summer switch from AS Monaco, with Jürgen Klopp fielding an unchanged team in the first three matches and making just a single change at Leicester City on Saturday.

The strength in depth available to the manager has meant no place in the matchday squad for Fabinho since the opening-weekend win over West Ham United.
But the midfielder has made significant progress in training, according to Klopp, and will be needed when Liverpool tackle a difficult run of fixtures later this month.

“The team is good and he needs time,” the boss said after the 2-1 victory at the King Power Stadium extended his side’s 100 per cent start to the season.
“He could have been in the squad, of course, but it’s quite difficult to make the squad at the moment because they are all fit. “It’s good to have the situation as one might need a bit of time, or the others are more used to it. That’s the only reason. “But he will come back. And now we have games every three days, and he has made big steps in the last few weeks. He could even play at the moment.”

In theory Fabinho is the player with the best mix of attributes to battle Moussa Dembele at the heart of the midfield and prevent Lucas Moura and Alli from finding space between the lines. I won't be totally shocked if he starts. Sometimes Klopp likes to spring surprises for big games, last year no one has anticipated Karius starting over Ming in the 4th game of the season (I think) against Arsenal, but it worked out well in that game.

Keita has been arguably playing worse with every game and rightly dropped for Leicester, didn't do much after coming on as a sub – I think he'll be the one to make way for either Fabinho or Hendo. Milner 100% starts and probably big-game Gini too.

Last edited:
I think last week showed that we need someone in midfield who will lift their head up and drive forward. Milner is different again in that he's prone to roam and move out to the wings to support players and provide good deliveries, so you need a player with him who will sit and cover the midfield, the problem against Leicester was that Henderson had a few runners from deep to pick up and was pretty lost, while Gini reverted to type and was invisible. I'd go with Henderson sitting, Milner being a bit more disciplined and then either Shaqiri or Keita infront to provide that invention on the break.

I'd also be tempted to drop Firmino and move Salah central, but then this is exactly the sort of game where you'd expected Bobby to do all of his typical dogged brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom