• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll *SITE RENEWAL* please read

Prefix for Poll Threads

site options

• I’ll stick in a few quid and crowdfund this bitch

• Lets put some ads up in here I dont mind it.

• Can we get a site sponsor with the occassional pop up to pay the site fee

• Weve had a good run. I say call time.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
Afternoon all.

Its coming up towards that time again (we have about 6 months left) where decisions need to be made about the future of SCM.

In 2016 you kindly all donated towards the upkeep of the site, server and domain costs etc, including upgrades through the two years (technical shit I havnt a clue about)
And we have reached the end of that pot.

Our intention as ALWAYS is to stay ad and sponsor free. For us thats the only option. But once again the costs for the next couple of years is more than we can spread across the now limited mod team. Jono as always has kindly offered his time and technical support to continue running the site but bottom line is we have the same old decision to make.

So we wanted to put it to you.
Poll options below. Please can you reply with your thoughts so we can start to think about 2019 to 2021

Thank you as always.

Forgot to say we need about £750 for all costs for 2 years.

Do you take loot items?
I've got a gold wedding ring, a platinum pocket watch and a gold bar.

I'll happily chip in. No fucking sponsors (unless it's @Wolands boozer) or ads (that shit is for RedCafe)

Happy to chip in. Cant see us letting this place getting shut down. Been arguing with you cunts for years now. Its like family.

Do you take loot items?
I've got a gold wedding ring, a platinum pocket watch and a gold bar.

Are these physical loot items?

Because I've got some Legendary ships and emblems from Destiny 1, plus some sweet guns.

I don't think they're transferable though. Or worth anything.

I’ll happily chip in, but Like last time I really don’t understand how a couple of years of server usage (and domain renewal?) can cost that much money.
I’m talking as an ex web director and current digital marketer. Perhaps it’s worth looking at other server options?

How many members do we roughly have on the site? A couple of quid (2-5?) each for 2 years is manageable.

Fire up the crowdfund. Modo will donate €100 for every goal Fabinho scores this season.

I’ll happily chip in, but Like last time I really don’t understand how a couple of years of server usage (and domain renewal?) can cost that much money.
I’m talking as an ex web director and current digital marketer. Perhaps it’s worth looking at other server options?
It's a build as you go option.. buy in bulk it becomes cheaper..

You maybe right it may very well be worth investigating..

Host costs work out around £250 to £300 a year, Depends on what you want more storage, memory, CPU cost more money.. ATM it's about £260 a year.. I say £300 to cover upgrade asked I have upgrades to perform which require setting up a separate server in the interim, as the Linux varient is so outdated, the software Xenforo cannot be updated. Here is where I could probably look at an alternative host.. Suggestion would be great..

ATM 50gb, 2 GB Ram, Dual Core

Moving forward.. probably look at.. 50gb - 80gb host, dual to quad core CPU, 2-4 GB ram

The database is the thing we carry out our own backup's which takes space.. With manager d hosti solution we wouldn't have to worry about that, as the host would do all that for you..

The bigger the site gets the more infrastructure it needs.. we learnt quickly a single cpu could not deal with the amount of traffic we receive.. Each user represent a connection to the database.. opening thread generates queries, which increases CPU load.. Get 800 users online during a match day thread (which we have had on a few rare occasion) you grind to a halt..

So that was upgraded...

Xenforo Licences £65 (inc Vat) a year

Other licences £50 - £80 a year

Domains £10-£20 a year

Last edited:
If you have any suggestions on what/how we could cut costs please let us know.

Tbh there's really only RedNinja who knows what he's doing so you may want to pm him directly.

We need a tier-based contribution system.

Top-tier contributors get a special honorary title, Moderator privileges for a day and the ability to change one users name for a week to one of their choosing.

I'm hopeful that OnceySmellsOfWee approves this idea
Its my age Bren. I dont have the time to stand at the Urinal all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom