• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Serena Williams

Mersey86

Unknown
What do people think of her behaviour in the US Open final? I have always been a quiet advocate of Serena Williams. Despite a few of the behavioral issues over the years, I have generally enjoyed seeing her success.
I also feel that the umpire probably should have tried to defuse things yesterday by giving her a warning before penalizing her a game.
However none of that excuses her awful behavior.
She "would never" receive coaching (then her coach admits that he was coaching her, but everyone does it). She then tries the sexist angle - and predictably gets support from the usual suspects. Yes, maybe men have said worse and got away with it (which they should not have), but did they then go on and on about something which happened 20-30 minutes ago and demand apologies - especially when they were in the wrong.
Umpire was in a near impossible position, with an ugly and incited crowd. Yes, he should have given a warning, but would that have made any difference? I doubt it.
Then Serena gets all the plaudits for stopping the crowd from booing so they could acknowledge the young Japanese woman - whose great moment has been reduced to rubble and who is crying while awaiting the trophy.
Wonderful Serena! Inspiration to women! I hope not ...

Much improved today. Gracious in defeat - though never really being in the game may have helped.
I thought Halep was a very pleasant personality when she lost to Konta 2 years ago, so pleased to see her win the title.

Halep is my weird crush. I’m made up for her.

Serena hasn’t been her best all season. Age must be catching up on her. She’s still one of the greatest sports people ever.

Back
Top Bottom