• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Secret FA Bans for drug use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
We've all speculated at different times about players being secretly banned but I didn't actually think it happened.

Daryl Murphy has confirmed he served a six week ban for taking coke:

Daryl Murphy Reveals He Secretly Served Ban For Failed Drug Test

Darly Murphy has admitted that he secretly served a drug ban late last year, after he tested positive for the use of cocaine.

The Athletic have exclusively revealed that the player admits taking the drug on a night out and was ultimately with with a six week suspension.

The former Republic of Ireland striker was at Nottingham Forest at the time and did not play for the club between October 6th and December 8th of 2018.

Murphy was not known to have been banned, with FA policy dictating that any player who fails a drugs test should not be named publicly. In a statement, the player said:

Firstly, I would like to stress that the taking of recreational drugs is something that I don’t condone whatsoever. I served a suspension at the beginning of last season for making a bad decision while on a night out.

This was an isolated incident which happened out of competition when we had no game. I immediately regretted it.

I am not proud of what I did but it’s something I have put behind me as I want to concentrate on my football career.

Murphy earned 32 caps for Ireland at senior level. He was often given as an example of a model professional throughout his career, which makes this revelation especially shocking.

Now 36-years old, the forward is currently in League One with Bolton Wanderers. He joined the club in September of this year having been made surplus to requirements at Nottingham Forest.

Paging Beamrider ...
Didn’t see any evidence of this. I find it very hard to believe there isn’t an issue in football with all the money sloshing around. It seems only Arsenal Wenger has been prepared to talk about PEDs in any detail and he’s convinced it’s a bigger issue than most people think. NB I know the story here was about recreational drugs.
As an aside, a mate of mind was a pro cyclist during the Lance Armstrong years and he was convinced pretty much everyone in Europe was doping. He eventually gave up the sport as he wasn’t prepared to dope and couldn’t compete with the dopers. With so much more money to be gained in football, and according to Wenger less testing than in athletics or cycling, I find it had to believe football doesn’t have a problem. But that’s a personal view. I didn’t see anything in my time to confirm it.

A lot of people thought that at the time

I know.

But it's absolutely amazing to me that someone caught violating anti-doping rules is not named. The fact that you can be banned secretly is farcical.

It encourages people to start and continue it. It's almost impossible to catch a well thought out doping programme , that the FA are willing to assist in covering it up is stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom