• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

SCM Golf - Top Courses

Piedro

Very Well-Known
Honorary Member
I don't know how many of you on here play Golf, I'm guessing there must be a few. I thought it might be a good idea to note any nice courses you have played, anywhere in the world. That way we can share any hidden gems with each other.

I'm going to play Gleneagles (Kings) on friday, our Sales guy for Scotland has a membership and is getting me and 3 mates on there for £200, should be £750 a fourball. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get back.

Aside from that, I've played a few nice courses in England.

My favourite would be Slaley Hall up in Northumberland, its absolutely stunning. That was about 5 years ago but I can imagine its still top notch. Played Forest of Arden this year and that was great. Deer and Stags roaming about the place.

One to avoid for the cost alone, the Belfry. Thought it was pretty average with only 2 or 3 really nice holes and for £120 its not really worth it.

Hoping to play Royal Liverpool or Royal Birkdale in the next 12 months. £200 a round though.....

I am a bit of a links fan and have been lucky to have played most of the top links courses on the Irish east coast.
The top of my bucket list was Royal County Down, which I got to play this summer, It is spectacular and it was more the pity that I was totally intimidated and kicked it round.
The Island, half an hour north of Dublin, is a great links course while the European Club, which is an hour south of Dublin, is stunning.
Over on the west coast, Carne in Belmullet Co Mayo is as far west as you can go and is a spectacular course with incredible views. Probably my favourite course anywhere.
Killeen Castle, half an hour north west of Dublin and host of the 2011 Solheim Cup, is a really top parkland course, right up there with the best in Ireland.
The K club, which hosted the Ryder Cup, seems to have a bit of a reputation abroad, doesn't quite live up to the hype and the main/Palmer course while having some great holes is normally overpriced relative to the competition.

Good stuff Paul, that's exactly what I'm after.

Royal County Down, I've played the 9 hole course with @Ryan many moons ago (About 2007 I think). We couldn't get on the 18 hole course. Even the 9 was superb and its a fantastic part of the world. I remember the Mountains in the distance while driving there, absolutely stunning.

I'm trying to plan a trip to Ireland in the next couple of years to play some golf. The Idea is have a couple of days golf, and a couple of days at the races. The lads want to go to Galway races so any golf courses you could recommend over that side would be great.

Was hoping to play K Club someday but may not bother... Sounds a bit like the Belfry.

There is definitely as good if not better courses than the K Club for significantly better prices in the Dublin/Leinster area.
I meant to say, a litlle gem of a course is a public links called Corballis, which is on the same strip of coast as the Island course. It is a bit on the short side with plenty of par threes but it still has some great holes with a few that would grace the very best links and can be played for as little as €10.
Galway Bay is a very good course about twenty minutes from Galway city while Connemara Links is meant to be a very good course but I haven't played it myself.
If you are ever in Dublin make sure to give me a shout and I will get you out for a game.

The Royal Portrush might tickle your collective fancies. The town of Portrush is a seaside town with amusements etc but it has a few nice restaurants. Right next door is Portstewart that also has some nice eating and drinking establishments. There's not a massive choice mind.

I don't know how many of you on here play Golf, I'm guessing there must be a few. I thought it might be a good idea to note any nice courses you have played, anywhere in the world. That way we can share any hidden gems with each other.

I'm going to play Gleneagles (Kings) on friday, our Sales guy for Scotland has a membership and is getting me and 3 mates on there for £200, should be £750 a fourball. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get back.

Aside from that, I've played a few nice courses in England.

My favourite would be Slaley Hall up in Northumberland, its absolutely stunning. That was about 5 years ago but I can imagine its still top notch. Played Forest of Arden this year and that was great. Deer and Stags roaming about the place.

One to avoid for the cost alone, the Belfry. Thought it was pretty average with only 2 or 3 really nice holes and for £120 its not really worth it.

Hoping to play Royal Liverpool or Royal Birkdale in the next 12 months. £200 a round though.....

I know what you mean about the Belfry - they used to have the PGA tournament there and I played it the week after a couple of times and it was in great condition with the smoothest running greens I have ever played on, but a pretty boring parkland course. Best course I've played is Woodhall Spa really lovely heathland course - much better than Wentworth imho

The Royal Portrush might tickle your collective fancies. The town of Portrush is a seaside town with amusements etc but it has a few nice restaurants. Right next door is Portstewart that also has some nice eating and drinking establishments. There's not a massive choice mind.

It's the venue for the 2019 Open Championship and apparently will regularly feature on the open roster.
It is meant to be magnificent though very pricey at £180 per green fee.

Hopefully next year P, I'll give you a message if we are over your way! Always said I would take on Ross too, but with his back it doesn't sound like that's gonna happen!

Heard all about Portrush, I'd love to give it a go. Its on the list sir!

I know what you mean about the Belfry - they used to have the PGA tournament there and I played it the week after a couple of times and it was in great condition with the smoothest running greens I have ever played on, but a pretty boring parkland course. Best course I've played is Woodhall Spa really lovely heathland course - much better than Wentworth imho

I played the Derby course twice and the Brabazon once but it just didn't live up to the expectation. Bar the 10th and the 18th, I can't remember another hole on the course. Not very memorable.

RCD is my favourite course of all time - superb.

Me and the boys have done a golf holiday every year for the past 16 years and rate every course, RCD got an average rating of 9.8 followed by Royal Dornach at 9.4

These where rated between 8 and 8.9 - Ardglass, Royal Portrush, Castle Course, Sotogrande, European Club, Valderrama, Formby all top notch.

Then there are Royal Lytham, Kingsbarns, Ballyliffen,Royal Liverpool, Finca Cortesin, Lundin Links, Nefyn, Druids Glen, HIllside, Portstewart, La Reserva, San Roque(old)Nairn, Aberdovey and Castle stuart which are all between 7-8

Then there are Royal St Davids, Portmarnock(Links), St Enodoc, Gleneagles(Kings), Royal Porthcawl and loads more which are between 6-7

RCD is my favourite course of all time - superb.

Me and the boys have done a golf holiday every year for the past 16 years and rate every course, RCD got an average rating of 9.8 followed by Royal Dornach at 9.4

These where rated between 8 and 8.9 - Ardglass, Royal Portrush, Castle Course, Sotogrande, European Club, Valderrama, Formby all top notch.

Then there are Royal Lytham, Kingsbarns, Ballyliffen,Royal Liverpool, Finca Cortesin, Lundin Links, Nefyn, Druids Glen, HIllside, Portstewart, La Reserva, San Roque(old)Nairn, Aberdovey and Castle stuart which are all between 7-8

Then there are Royal St Davids, Portmarnock(Links), St Enodoc, Gleneagles(Kings), Royal Porthcawl and loads more which are between 6-7

What did you think of Gleneagles mate?

Also I saw Nefyn on your list. Fucking crazy course that. Beautiful though. Very tough.

I've played St George's Hill in Surrey many times and rate it as one of the nicest tracks I've ever played. Proper test of golf and well looked after.

I've played the Belfry and totally agree, it's just a corporate draw now and the PGA national course there is definitely nothing special.

I've played St Mellion and found that very very tough. I was having an off time of it in. Y golf in anyway and that place doesn't allow it! Missing fairways there means you're bang in trouble.

Here are some courses that I've played that are what I think are the more traditional Harry Colt style that I found to be brilliant. Well kept, and very true greens - West Hill in Surrey & Windlesham, also in Surrey. If you're ever in Dorset then I'd recommend Isle of Purbeck for a links course and Ferndown which is inland and is often used as an Open qualifying course.

Two of favourite courses are in Cornwall. Favourite because I've played them many times, I love the scenery, the atmosphere in the club and the ease of being able to play and the cost of them both. Carrlyon Bay is a cliff top links course, a touch short, but if the wind is blowing then you've got a real test of golf on there. Lanhydrock near Bodmin is also a great course. Well looked after and very friendly. Looks short, but if your turn up expecting to smash a driver and a wedge, think again. You've got to manage your way around this course.

Honourable mentions for Goring & Streetley near Reading and Southfield in Oxford. The latter is a gem of a course.

What did you think of Gleneagles mate?

Also I saw Nefyn on your list. Fucking crazy course that. Beautiful though. Very tough.

I thought it was only ok, well looked after and lovely greens but lacked something..I think it only scored 6.5 out of ten from our trip...That being said I do remember us playing really bad due to hangovers and it raining fora third of the round...

Nefyn is really picturesque, I hear that they have made loads of changes to it and it isn't as nice now.

Ferndown is a good course, played there. A bit too open for my liking though.

The weather *looks* ok for me playing Gleneagles on Friday so I'll let you know my findings. Can't fucking wait to be honest.

On a side note Gleneagles (the horse) is running in Leopardstown on Sat. Might be worth a bet for the craic.
Sat, 12th Sep, 2015​

Sat, 12th Sep, 2015​

Hopefully next year P, I'll give you a message if we are over your way! Always said I would take on Ross too, but with his back it doesn't sound like that's gonna happen!

I'm officially retired. Can't have surgery, so can't swing a club - haven't done so for 18 months at this stage.

Carton House is a bit overrated for me (although I didn't play the Montgomery course)

Corballis as the Count says is probably the best value for money course you're ever likely to find.

Druids Glen is still up there.

Of the less heralded and not world renowned course in Ireland I love the following:
Rathsallagh
Woodenbridge
Lutterelstown
Woodbrook (about a mile from my apartment Pete)
And Wicklow is a fun course. I had plans to get membership there

I'm officially retired. Can't have surgery, so can't swing a club - haven't done so for 18 months at this stage.

Carton House is a bit overrated for me (although I didn't play the Montgomery course)

Corballis as the Count says is probably the best value for money course you're ever likely to find.

Druids Glen is still up there.

Of the less heralded and not world renowned course in Ireland I love the following:
Rathsallagh
Woodenbridge
Lutterelstown
Woodbrook (about a mile from my apartment Pete)
And Wicklow is a fun course. I had plans to get membership there

Rathsallagh is no more mate.
It closed about four months ago.
Shame as it was a very nice track.
The Monty course in Carton house is the better of the two but a lot of the time they have the rough cut right back and so the whole course becomes relatively easy and lacks definition.

Sad to hear that, beautiful setting for a course and it had some nice tricky holes.

In Carton House I found they'd done similar on the other course and it was very samey all the way around. It was pretty dull to play.

@Rosco
Totally coincidentally I just heard that Rathsallagh has been sold and will reopen as a golf course next year

Fucking shite. I play of 18, went round in well over 100.

For some reason, we decided to play off the Championship tees. Its a tough course off the yellows I'd bet, but off the whites! Jesus.

There is a stretch of par 4's on the back 9, one after the other. The first was about 470 yards bang into the wind. The second was about 450 bang into the wind, and the 3rd was about 460 bang into the wind. Then you get to a short par 3, and the wind is with you! It was just so tough because it felt that every long hole had the wind against you. I think it took me 4 shots to get greenside on every one of these.

My favourite hole was the 3rd, there is a huge mound and the green is hidden, lovely hole.

I'd love to have a crack again someday now that I know a bit more about the place!

I'm on a 3 round society weekend in Nottingham from tomorrow. Playing Oakmere Park tomorrow. Then the Nottinghamshire on Saturday. I'm not sure I'll care about Sunday.

Fucking shite. I play of 18, went round in well over 100.

For some reason, we decided to play off the Championship tees. Its a tough course off the yellows I'd bet, but off the whites! Jesus.

There is a stretch of par 4's on the back 9, one after the other. The first was about 470 yards bang into the wind. The second was about 450 bang into the wind, and the 3rd was about 460 bang into the wind. Then you get to a short par 3, and the wind is with you! It was just so tough because it felt that every long hole had the wind against you. I think it took me 4 shots to get greenside on every one of these.

My favourite hole was the 3rd, there is a huge mound and the green is hidden, lovely hole.

I'd love to have a crack again someday now that I know a bit more about the place!

Off the champ tees? In the wind? Those 400 yard plus par 4's take their toll.

I took my dad to play the old course the other week, he has never played it. Thought it would be a nice 70th b'day present.

I have to say if you take out the 1-4 and 15 onwards it is a bit meh...Having said that if you love golf then you have to play it and lap up the history and scenery - wil probably play it again but also play the 'new' course as well.

Considering the amount of usage it gets I thought the greens were in tremendous condition.

For those interested, played it in 9 over - the front nine 3 over - the back 9 into the wind was a LOT more difficult.

Is this Gleneagles mate?

Do you mean you played the Kings Course? If so, yep I know what you mean about the wind. Its blowing a fucking gale all the time on the back 9 apparently.

Gonna try and get up there again this year and play the PGA.

Back
Top Bottom