• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salaries - We're 2nd!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Considering we have a smaller squad and we don't have anyone earning over £250k a week, so how do we get to 2nd. Is Mo earning £500k a week when you throw in all his bonuses?
[article]
19/20 season
1. Manchester City
League position: 2nd
Total wage bill: £351m
2. Liverpool
League position: 1st
Total wage bill: £326m
3. Manchester United
League position: 3rd
Total wage bill: £284m
4. Chelsea
League position: 4th
Total wage bill: £283m
5. Arsenal
League position: 8th
Total wage bill: £225m
6. Tottenham
League position: 6th
Total wage bill: £181m
7. Everton
League position: 12th
Total wage bill: £165m
8. Leicester City
League position: 5th
Total wage bill: £157m
9. Crystal Palace
League position: 14th
Total wage bill: £132m
10. West Ham
League position: 16th
Total wage bill: £127m
[/article]

Its because the contracts are incentive based. Winning the league triggers loads of bonuses in salary.
Well worth it aswell.

Its because the contracts are incentive based. Winning the league triggers loads of bonuses in salary.
Well worth it aswell.
Someone's bothered to total players salaries. The incentives look as though it more than doubles their salary if you go by these base salaries players receive

The teams total wage bill is:

• £139,308,156 per year
  • £2,679,003 per week
Active Squad:
[xtable=skin1]
{thead}
{tr}
{th}Player Name{/th}
{th}Weekly Wage{/th}
{th}Yearly Salary{/th}
{th}Age{/th}
{th}Position{/th}
{th}Nationality{/th}
{/tr}
{/thead}
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Mohamed Salah{/td}
{td}£200,000{/td}
{td}£10,400,000{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}AM (RL), ST (C){/td}
{td}Egypt{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Thiago{/td}
{td}£200,000{/td}
{td}£10,400,000{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}DM, M/AM (C){/td}
{td}Spain{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Virgil van Dijk{/td}
{td}£180,000{/td}
{td}£9,360,000{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}D (C){/td}
{td}Holland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Roberto Firmino{/td}
{td}£180,000{/td}
{td}£9,360,000{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}AM (RLC), ST (C){/td}
{td}Brazil{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sadio Mané{/td}
{td}£180,000{/td}
{td}£9,360,000{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}AM (RL), ST (C){/td}
{td}Senegal{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}James Milner{/td}
{td}£145,000{/td}
{td}£7,540,000{/td}
{td}34{/td}
{td}WB (RL), DM, M (RLC){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Jordan Henderson{/td}
{td}£140,000{/td}
{td}£7,280,000{/td}
{td}30{/td}
{td}DM, M (C){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Joël Matip{/td}
{td}£125,000{/td}
{td}£6,500,000{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}D (C){/td}
{td}Cameroon{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain{/td}
{td}£120,000{/td}
{td}£6,240,000{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}M (RC), AM (RLC){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Naby Keïta{/td}
{td}£120,000{/td}
{td}£6,240,000{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}DM, M (C){/td}
{td}Guinea{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Alisson{/td}
{td}£120,000{/td}
{td}£6,240,000{/td}
{td}27{/td}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}Brazil{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Fabinho{/td}
{td}£120,000{/td}
{td}£6,240,000{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}D (RC), DM, M (C){/td}
{td}Brazil{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Diogo Jota{/td}
{td}£92,000{/td}
{td}£4,784,000{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}AM (RLC), ST (C){/td}
{td}Portugal{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Xherdan Shaqiri{/td}
{td}£86,000{/td}
{td}£4,472,000{/td}
{td}28{/td}
{td}AM (RLC){/td}
{td}Switzerland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Georginio Wijnaldum{/td}
{td}£86,000{/td}
{td}£4,472,000{/td}
{td}29{/td}
{td}DM, M (C), AM (LC){/td}
{td}Holland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Andrew Robertson{/td}
{td}£83,000{/td}
{td}£4,316,000{/td}
{td}26{/td}
{td}D/WB (L){/td}
{td}Scotland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Divock Origi{/td}
{td}£77,000{/td}
{td}£4,004,000{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}AM (L), ST (C){/td}
{td}Belgium{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Joe Gomez{/td}
{td}£75,000{/td}
{td}£3,900,000{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}D (RLC){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Trent Alexander-Arnold{/td}
{td}£72,000{/td}
{td}£3,744,000{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}D/WB (R), DM, M (C){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Takumi Minamino{/td}
{td}£72,000{/td}
{td}£3,744,000{/td}
{td}25{/td}
{td}M (RL), AM (RLC), ST (C){/td}
{td}Japan{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Adrián{/td}
{td}£58,000{/td}
{td}£3,016,000{/td}
{td}33{/td}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}Spain{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Kostas Tsimikas{/td}
{td}£55,000{/td}
{td}£2,860,000{/td}
{td}24{/td}
{td}D/WB (L){/td}
{td}Greece{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Curtis Jones{/td}
{td}£22,000{/td}
{td}£1,144,000{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}M (C), AM (RLC){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Neco Williams{/td}
{td}£7,900{/td}
{td}£410,800{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}D/WB (R){/td}
{td}Wales{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Caoimhin Kelleher{/td}
{td}£6,400{/td}
{td}£332,800{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}GK{/td}
{td}Ireland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nathan Phillips{/td}
{td}£4,900{/td}
{td}£254,800{/td}
{td}23{/td}
{td}D (C){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Sepp van den Berg{/td}
{td}£4,600{/td}
{td}£239,200{/td}
{td}18{/td}
{td}D (C){/td}
{td}Holland{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Elijah Dixon-Bonner{/td}
{td}£3,300{/td}
{td}£171,600{/td}
{td}19{/td}
{td}DM, M/AM (C){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Joe Hardy{/td}
{td}£3,100{/td}
{td}£161,200{/td}
{td}21{/td}
{td}AM (R), ST (C){/td}
{td}England{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Liam Millar{/td}
{td}£3,000{/td}
{td}£156,000{/td}
{td}20{/td}
{td}AM (L), ST (C){/td}
{td}Canada{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Last edited:
What I am saying is we have a smaller squad than some of our rivals, yet when you add the incentives and bonuses some of these players are probably earning £500k a week. That's a mind blowing number

How it should be. Reward success. I’ll bet City’s real wage bill is at least 50% higher than is in the table.
Most definitely. How about Man U and Chelsea?
Nah...I'm not having that, we can't be second.

I reckon the base salaries are probably after tax figures.

The wage bill for the year prior to winning the title was £310m.

A few on there need to be (have been?) increased (some dramatically) : Fabs, Robbo, TAA, Jones, Kelleher & Phillips. They can take it out of Ox, Naby and Adrian's salaries.

This is lifted directly from our 2019-20 accounts. It is the full wage bill - gross salaries for players AND all staff, including pension costs and social security payments. Best guess is that staff payroll would be something like £30 - 35m, but could be higher if we paid staff bonuses for Champions League success, quite possible for senior staff at least.
It will include bonuses for winning the Champions League (the final took place on 1 June 2019, which was the first day of the accounting year) - this means that the difference between bonuses for winning and those just for reaching the final would be charged to the 2019-20 results.
It won't include bonuses for winning the Premier League (as we hadn't secured the title by the end of the accounting year - 31 May 2020, all was still in limbo).
There's a good chance that a lot of chunky individual performance bonuses (e.g. based on goals / assists / clean sheets) will be included as they will be earned game by game and we were, as you'll recall, fucking awesome before the season was brought to a stop, other than that last game against Watford.
All the other teams were, obviously, shite in comparison so their performance bonuses would be a lot lower than ours (and none of them will have bonuses for winning anything in Europe). I don't expect that even City would pay big bonuses for winning the League Cup or Community Shield, but you never know, plastic club and all that.
There's probably also some inconsistencies in how clubs treat wages for players on loan - some clubs will net loan fees off wages, others will include them as player trading profits. This treatment will also depend on how the loans are structured - i.e. if a club gets a loan fee and continues to pay the player's wages (in which case they should still include the wages, but some won't be forced to do that by their auditors) as opposed to the lending club paying the player but not paying a loan fee (in which case you'd see a lower wage charge). This could have a huge impact on Chelsea's figures in particular, given that they have like a million players on loan at any point in time.
In short, difficult to make a comparison and as @momoWASboss says, City's figures are likely understated if they're still channelling their image rights payments into a different company. But it does make sense that our figures would be higher than the other clubs - price of success.
EDIT
Although PL winners bonuses won’t be in there, we were guaranteed second when the League halted so there could still be a decent number in there for 2019-20 league performance, including Champions League qualification bonuses which won’t be insignificant.

Last edited:
It looks like it was financially beneficial for the club not to win the PL this year.

Last edited:
That would be true if our revenue remained the same whether we became champions or not.
Would the revenue increase from winning the league ( or CL) mitigate the substantial bonuses to players? The club is easily doubling their wage it seems

Would the revenue increase from winning the league ( or CL) mitigate the substantial bonuses to players? The club is easily doubling their wage it seems
It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a sweet spot where the direct revenue v cost gave a better result if we didn’t win - ie the extra revenue for winning v losing the final might not cover the win bonuses and costs associated with the parade. But if the club capitalised properly (eg through merchandising, bonuses in key commercial contracts etc.) then I’d expect even in a win scenario that we would cover all the costs and more.
I do recall a documentary about Barcelona many years ago (the year they signed Ronaldinho, from memory) where their financial guys pointed out they risked bankruptcy if they won the league because of the bonuses, so it can happen if clubs dish our these rewards hap-hazardly, not expecting them to ever arise. I’d like to think we’re more careful than that - success should always pay for itself. Barcelona finished second that year, by the way, so they lived to go bust next year…

i've read this article before.

[article]
N'Golo just wants a normal salary': How Kante once defied Chelsea's idea of wages paid through tax haven

After signing a new deal in 2018, the Frenchman insisted that all payments should be kept above board.
  • Chelsea offered N'Golo Kante a scheme to get his wages paid through tax saving offshore firms. in New Jersey, USA, as revealed in Der Spiegel's Football Leaks series in 2018.
  • The deal would've seen Kante get 20% of his wages covering image rights paid straight to the firm, reducing the taxes he would have to pay.
  • "N’Golo is adamant: he just wants a normal salary," his advisor told the England club, as per the report.
  • As Chelsea's highest-paid player at the time, Kante £564,000 a month in income tax, while also paying £305,000 in National Insurance annually.
  • This tax haven would, it was claimed, save him around £870,000 a year on his salary.
  • Once again N'Golo Kante proves why he is one of the best in the world - on and off the pitch!
[/article]

so, i don't really believe in those salary ranking accuracy

[article]
N'Golo just wants a normal salary': How Kante once defied Chelsea's idea of wages paid through tax haven

After signing a new deal in 2018, the Frenchman insisted that all payments should be kept above board.
  • Chelsea offered N'Golo Kante a scheme to get his wages paid through tax saving offshore firms. in New Jersey, USA, as revealed in Der Spiegel's Football Leaks series in 2018.
  • The deal would've seen Kante get 20% of his wages covering image rights paid straight to the firm, reducing the taxes he would have to pay.
  • "N’Golo is adamant: he just wants a normal salary," his advisor told the England club, as per the report.
  • As Chelsea's highest-paid player at the time, Kante £564,000 a month in income tax, while also paying £305,000 in National Insurance annually.
  • This tax haven would, it was claimed, save him around £870,000 a year on his salary.
  • Once again N'Golo Kante proves why he is one of the best in the world - on and off the pitch!
[/article]

For me its the Bale type wages some players are getting that's blown me,

As Beamrider put it, it’s not about the prize money (I doubt there’s much difference between 1st and 4th) but the types of deals we can strike with new and current sponsorships, as well as merchandising.

As Beamrider put it, it’s not about the prize money (I doubt there’s much difference between 1st and 4th) but the types of deals we can strike with new and current sponsorships, as well as merchandising.
For context, the difference in prize money from UEFA for the 2019-20 Champions League was €4m extra for the winners as opposed to losing finalists.
Difficult to say what the difference in player and staff bonuses would be as that will vary by club.
For Premier League clubs, there would typically be a squad bonus (this would be an extra amount beyond what is specified in player's contracts and is shared amongst the squad on a pre-agreed formula, usually based on appearances in the relevant competition). This isn't usually a huge amount in the grand scheme, maybe a couple of £m shared amongst all the players. There will then be individual bonuses in player's contracts - these will usually apply to key first team members as squad players / youth players probably won't have negotiated these sorts of bonuses, their add-ons would typically be based more on first-team appearances, goals, clean sheets etc. They wouldn't want to be too presumptuous or cocky when negotiating their initial pro deals. Curtis Jones might be an exception of course :).
It's unlikely that €4m would cover the cost of the Champions League bonuses, but if the commercial team have done their job then key sponsors (especially shirt sponsors, kit supplier) would be paying success bonuses because of the extra exposure or merchandise sales they'd expect to get on the back of a win. These could easily be several £m each, and there would probably be bonuses for other achievements (i.e. qualification for Europa / Champions League, high league positions even if the team didn't win).
In the Premier League, the merit payment (i.e. share of TV money based on league position) is usually about £2m per place (so £6m extra for winning the league v finishing 4th) but again there will probably be commercial bonuses too. We're usually not too far off any teams that finish above us as we make up a bit of what we would lose in prize money by getting more fees for games screened live (we're usually the most picked team in the league for live games). Usual fee is around £1.2m per game.
Can't see the detailed data for last season yet, but likely that PL money will be down because of the covid-related penalties in the TV deal which were supposed to be spread over a few seasons, including 2020-21, so last season's figures may be a bit lower than the numbers above.

[article]

[/article]

You can imagine with Man City players that this is standard practice as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom