• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Salah Vs Mane - there can be only one

Prefix for Poll Threads

Pick one only

• Salah

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Mane

Votes: 58 82.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People have short memories. Salah's scoring and assisting record is fucking phenomenal-- unparalleled! I love Mane, but not so long ago, after Mane's failure to pass to Salah when in the clear against Everton, there were fucking loads on here who thought Mane was costing us. These things go in strange little cycles. I love them both, and it is a fag paper between them, but I'm going Salah because you guys aren't showing him anywhere near enough love.

Mane has been a better player for over a year now.

Its definitely slight... but Mane's defensive solidity is epic for a inside forward/winger who can get you 20 goals in a season. Because of that I'd want Salah to be getting at least 10 goals more than Mane and to be considerably more efficient with the ball for me to choose Salah over him. That hasnt been the case since his first year... when he was significantly better than Mane. I also love Mane for his humble and grateful nature. I'm fond of any player like that.

Mane’s best quality isn’t any of those. It’s that he wants the ball no matter how good or bad he’s playing. He never hides and always carries the fight and shows up in big games. The CL final against Real he was the only one to keep fighting when we lost Salah. That attitude is his best quality and where everything else stems from.

As I say, the narrative a couple of seasons ago was that Mane was a greedy so and so who was jealous of Salah. Now we have the same story reversed. It is bullshit. There have been times Salah should have passed, but there's been plenty of times he has tried a pass when he could have attempted something himself. On the other side of the coin Bobby passes at times when he is best placed to take a shot, something I find equally frustrating in its own way.

I agree that defences have started to zero in on Salah and it did give Mane a few more opportunities but I still he's come on as a player during that spell.

He's always been great for us but in the CL games last season in particular he was our main man. He terrifies opposition defences.

That said we've only lost one game at Anfield when Salah was on the pitch - and he was playing for Chelsea that day.
He's a wonderful player albeit maybe slightly too predictable - but if you're predictable and still knocking on 20+ it shows how good you are.

It's a coin toss but Mane is the one I'd keep too.

Mane’s best quality isn’t any of those. It’s that he wants the ball no matter how good or bad he’s playing. He never hides and always carries the fight and shows up in big games. The CL final against Real he was the only one to keep fighting when we lost Salah. That attitude is his best quality and where everything else stems from.

Salah has that quality too -

As I say, the narrative a couple of seasons ago was that Mane was a greedy so and so who was jealous of Salah. Now we have the same story reversed. It is bullshit. There have been times Salah should have passed, but there's been plenty of times he has tried a pass when he could have attempted something himself. On the other side of the coin Bobby passes at times when he is best placed to take a shot, something I find equally frustrating in its own way.

Iz it because Mane is black?

Mane is on course to become player of the season. Not just ours...

Yeah Salah has declined a lot between his two goals a few days ago and his performance today.

No real point assessing it like that.

It's months/seasons and he's clearly declining.

He goes from PL POTY and Ballon d'or nominee to going 11 games or whatever it was without a goal last season.

& this season the performances have been quite bad, consistently bad.

I'm not sure whether Klopp trusted Mo today to track the runs of Chiwell and Perreira, which is why Mane played a lot of the game on the right and then Bobby on the left.

Salah, for all his individual brilliance, is the least defensively responsible player we have.

It's why I feel like we do have to cut Trent some slack, because he doesn't get as much protection as Robbo does (who also has VVD on his side of the pitch).

I'm not sure whether Klopp trusted Mo today to track the runs of Chiwell and Perreira, which is why Mane played a lot of the game on the right and then Bobby on the left.

Salah, for all his individual brilliance, is the least defensively responsible player we have.

It's why I feel like we do have to cut Trent some slack, because he doesn't get as much protection as Robbo does (who also has VVD on his side of the pitch).

While I think that is fair on Trent I am not so sure if it is entirely on Mo. Not questioning that he isn't the least defensive minded of our attackers but I think that sometimes he stays high on instruction as a tactic and he becomes our out ball from defence when launching a long counter. Which means that our right side is the more vulnerable to opposition attacks.

While I think that is fair on Trent I am not so sure if it is entirely on Mo. Not questioning that he isn't the least defensive minded of our attackers but I think that sometimes he stays high on instruction as a tactic and he becomes our out ball from defence when launching a long counter.

Of course, that's true. He is.

But there's no hiding the fact that the effort he puts in to retrieve a ball he's lost is very inconsistent. Sometimes it's half arsed, and other times it's great.

I voted Mané but people are seriously talking down Salah, hes an amazing player and any team in the league would love to have him.

I know - just look at the mans goal-scoring record. It is a joke how suddenly it feels like he is a bit part or something. Today was Mane's day and maybe the next game Salah will be the hero. The great thing is - it is usually one of the front three that will show up. Anyway the winning streak is about to end in our next game, we have not beaten them at Old Toilet for 2 seasons now, don't think it will change this time round.

Of course, that's true. He is.

But there's no hiding the fact that the effort he puts in to retrieve a ball he's lost is very inconsistent. Sometimes it's half arsed, and other times it's great.

There was a moment in the first half where Salah was sprinting back covering like a CB he was amazing. I was stunned. He can do it he just doesn’t enough.

There was a moment in the first half where Salah was sprinting back covering like a CB he was amazing. I was stunned. He can do it he just doesn’t enough.
To make ammends... it was right after he lost the ball with a lazy outside of the foot pass right to an opponent. Of course he can do it... he just doesnt 95% of the time... which wasn't the case before he became Superman for a year.

Thats why the way to make Liverpool less vulnerable to attack yesterday was to put Salah at CF.

I voted Mané but people are seriously talking down Salah, hes an amazing player and any team in the league would love to have him.

It's like people trying to pick between Messi & Ronaldo ... to do so, you have to talk down another player but it's relative to the levels they're at. We're talking about two of the best players in the world currently - that I don't think anyone can debate.

It's like people trying to pick between Messi & Ronaldo ... to do so, you have to talk down another player but it's relative to the levels they're at. We're talking about two of the best players in the world currently - that I don't think anyone can debate.
Actually I think almost everyone in this thread is debating that ;)

No it isn't. We were conceding in preseason and the early games with Allison, it's probably more down to early season and getting up to speed fitness wise after such a hectic season, it's hard to maintain that level of energy, pressing and concentration for long periods of time. We're still defensively very good in most basic ways, we're organised, we have players who commit to throwing their bodies on the lines to prevent a chance and we're generally a hardworking team.

Aside from the odd gaff early on, Adrian has been a good stand in, us conceding more is nothing to do with the goalkeeping situation.

No it isn't. We were conceding in preseason and the early games with Allison, it's probably more down to early season and getting up to speed fitness wise after such a hectic season, it's hard to maintain that level of energy, pressing and concentration for long periods of time. We're still defensively very good in most basic ways, we're organised, we have players who commit to throwing their bodies on the lines to prevent a chance and we're generally a hardworking team.

Aside from the odd gaff early on, Adrian has been a good stand in, us conceding more is nothing to do with the goalkeeping situation.
Agree with most of that, but I wouldn't say it categorically has nothing to do with Allison being out, it's likely a contributory factor, albeit not a massive one, simply cos there's other less tangible impacts it may have, like the defenders not being quite as brave cos they haven't the best keeper in the world behind them, or the opposition feeling they may have a chance at scoring for the same reason.

I agree with all but the last part of your last sentence. Having a better keeper, which Alisson undeniably is, helps everyone. Adrian hasn't made (many) mistakes, but Alisson, like VDV, makes everyone more confident and leads to is conceding less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom