• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Salah-ng, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the end of 'free' transfers though, when signing on bonuses become as big as transfer fees.

One impact could be clubs offering longer contracts which is great if you do proper diligence like we seem to. Less good for clubs who buy players like Drinkwater.

Yeah had a bad feeling about this final as soon as he started talking about revenge. Just keep your mouth shut.

Can't wait for Mane's 'special' news. Again, just keep your mouth shut.
That's what Henry said.

Keep your mouth shut.. After the game if you win say its revenge. He basically did Madrids team talk for them.

Largely agree, but not sure about the "Madrid team talk" bit TBH. One or two in their camp made reference to such things but to me that was weigh-in trash talking of a very similar kind. It would certainly have made bugger all difference to me if I'd been in that dressing-room.

Athletic reporting if Salah doesn't get an improved deal, he'll leave next year and look to stay in the prem.

Tbh, I don't like that as a threat, nor do I want it to happen. Hopefully we'll agree something.

It's all about the Benjamins apparently

Athletic reporting if Salah doesn't get an improved deal, he'll leave next year and look to stay in the prem.

Tbh, I don't like that as a threat, nor do I want it to happen. Hopefully we'll agree something.

It's all about the Benjamins apparently

Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle or Man U if not us.

I think with mane leaving we need to try a little harder to keep salah

2 year extension with the right terms sounds like a deal we can get done.

It does. Maybe he's compromised on the length of the contract and is looking for some movement on salary in return?

Fair enough in principle, but no-one's in a better position than the club to judge what Salah's worth to us. If they draw the line at a point which he decides not to accept, so be it. NO player is bigger than the club and no player should be treated as if they were.

I reckon the Saudi’s have intimated they’ll pay him a whopping salary to sign if Newcastle progress into a team that’s either qualified for or looking likely to qualify for CL next season.

They’ll be all over Raheem and Sterling at the end of next season as well.

6th best paid player in the World. Thats De Bruyne money. 400k per week.

Are any of the current top six not either Ronaldo or at one of the oil rich clubs? Salah should give a fuck that we're not the sort of club that has tonnes of cash to spend. What we do have is a fanbase that worship him, a manager who keeps us punching above our weight and that consistently gets the best out of players. If he wants to go to PSG or Man City and earn stupid money, fine, fuck off and do that. Otherwise have some humility and accept that a huge chunk of his success has been down to where he is and who he works with.

Salah does deserve parity with the likes of KDB. I still hope we can still agree a deal on similar terms for 2 years or so. To me that's the happy compromise and he can still go off on a free and sign a huge contract elsewhere afterwards.

I suspect things will turn sour, tough. Especially with his agent being a pure cock.

Salah does deserve parity with the likes of KDB. I still hope we can still agree a deal on similar terms for 2 years or so. To me that's the happy compromise and he can still go off on a free and sign a huge contract elsewhere afterwards.

yea i think he’s confident of earning ridiculous money well into his 30’s regardless of whether he’s still a top player or not, that’ll be behind the 2 year thing

looking at their respective end of seasons though you have to say Mo compared really badly to De Bruyne and there’s another bloody afcon coming within those 2 years. I was willing De Bruyne to pick up a knock for ages, he’s such a massive creative force for City.

If he performs like the first half of last season, then he's worth the £400k. Not so much post AFCON

The odd good article from the Athletic doesn't excuse a lot of shit they put out, this has a whiff of bullshit IMO. He either signs for something approaching reasonable (280 + incentives?) wages or he gets his move (abroad) next year I'm guessing, can't see another out come.

It does. Maybe he's compromised on the length of the contract and is looking for some movement on salary in return?

Fair enough in principle, but no-one's in a better position than the club to judge what Salah's worth to us. If they draw the line at a point which he decides not to accept, so be it. NO player is bigger than the club and no player should be treated as if they were.

We want to extend the time this team has at the top and we want to win more trophies, PL & CL, during that time. Salah is an integral part of that because transitioning from Mane-Firmino-Salah to Diaz - X (or Jota) - Salah is a big enough transition as it is, to make it Diaz - X (or Jota) - Y could be enough to spell the end of this side, especially whilst we try to remould our midfield too.
So that last sentence of yours is just a platitude reeled out whenever a player holds the upper hand (sorry JJ). We need Salah for at least the next year, if not 2-3 seasons, to give us a stable base from which to transition. It's all too easy to say bring in Player A, B or C but there is never any guarantee it will work out, so whilst Diaz has shown he is what we need on the left, to try to remould both the Centre and Right with new players, at the same time, is just asking for major trouble.

I actually agree with quite a lot of that, Froggy, but you get a big fat "Not Guilty" in response to the platitude charge. There's zero point giving in to short term pressures, however acute, if doing so will cause bigger problems down the line and end up setting the club back in the longer term. Should the club decide that that's what we'd be doing if we gave Salah 100% of what he's demanding then none of us, including you with respect, is remotely likely to know better.

We want to extend the time this team has at the top and we want to win more trophies, PL & CL, during that time. Salah is an integral part of that because transitioning from Mane-Firmino-Salah to Diaz - X (or Jota) - Salah is a big enough transition as it is, to make it Diaz - X (or Jota) - Y could be enough to spell the end of this side, especially whilst we try to remould our midfield too.
So that last sentence of yours is just a platitude reeled out whenever a player holds the upper hand (sorry JJ). We need Salah for at least the next year, if not 2-3 seasons, to give us a stable base from which to transition. It's all too easy to say bring in Player A, B or C but there is never any guarantee it will work out, so whilst Diaz has shown he is what we need on the left, to try to remould both the Centre and Right with new players, at the same time, is just asking for major trouble.

Is it really (i.e. asking for trouble) ? - most of that squad are who they are because of Klopp playing them to their strengths and whatever background research has gone on over time. Let's be honest none of us expected Salah to be this goal machine, and based on the post AFCON performances I don't actually see him recovering to be what he was in the earlier part of the season. If Mane and Salah want to leave or we are better cashing in on them - then let them leave, so long as we replace them with players that Klopp wants I have no problem. The success of this team is based on three things:

(1) Klopp,
(2) Players having the right attributes - be it physical+mental that Klopp can work with to get his vision of how he wants to play.
(3) A stable defense.

Is it really (i.e. asking for trouble) ? - most of that squad are who they are because of Klopp playing them to their strengths and whatever background research has gone on over time. Let's be honest none of us expected Salah to be this goal machine, and based on the post AFCON performances I don't actually see him recovering to be what he was in the earlier part of the season. If Mane and Salah want to leave or we are better cashing in on them - then let them leave, so long as we replace them with players that Klopp wants I have no problem. The success of this team is based on three things:

(1) Klopp,
(2) Players having the right attributes - be it physical+mental that Klopp can work with to get his vision of how he wants to play.
(3) A stable defense.
Klopp isn't a player - he's an enabler.
There are many players that fit your b) criteria, that doesn't mean they are going to win anything. Those are attributes Klopp's players are required to have, world-class or otherwise.
Name one team that won a PL or CL without 2-3 world class players (midfield and attack) in the side. They make the difference.
Even when Leicester won the PL they had Vardy, Mahrez, Kante in their ranks and a working defence that collectively played probably the best season of their lives, not a world-class one by any means.

Last edited:
I actually agree with quite a lot of that, Froggy, but you get a big fat "Not Guilty" in response to the platitude charge. There's zero point giving in to short term pressures, however acute, if doing so will cause bigger problems down the line and end up setting the club back in the longer term. Should the club decide that that's what we'd be doing if we gave Salah 100% of what he's demanding then none of us, including you with respect, is remotely likely to know better.
I'm sure there's a compromise, what a player/agent ask for isn't what they'll get and they know that of course. That should be easy in Mo's case (incentives based on goals/assists/trophies). In Mo's case it comes down to - do we want to set this team to fail or enable it? As it stands it's more than capable of winning more trophies but with aging players and Mane leaving it's teetering on the brink.

Losing Mo at this juncture (next two seasons) will, IMO, inevitably see a decline. Remould the midfield and find a replacement for the centre (Jota is great as part of a pool of 4-5 players up front but I can't see him carrying that slot full time) before we look for a Mo replacement. The 'sell him' crowd will be the first to bemoan the loss of his 44 goals+assists in just 45 games in 2021/22 when he's gone.

I’m already sick of this transfer window… and it doesn’t even open for another week!!!

You tell me. I actually need something to happen.

da6.jpg

Klopp isn't a player - he's an enabler.
There are many players that fit your b) criteria, that doesn't mean they are going to win anything. Those are attributes Klopp's players are required to have, world-class or otherwise.
Name one team that won a PL or CL without 2-3 world class players (midfield and attack) in the side. They make the difference.
Even when Leicester won the PL they had Vardy, Mahrez, Kante in their ranks and a working defence that collectively played probably the best season of their lives, not a world-class one by any means.

Nicely put regarding Klopp the Enabler - indeed of all the world coaches he is the best at this. Which is why I honestly am not worried if either of those two left this season, seriously no worries, as I think Klopp will be able to fit another two in quite easily with a good pre-season if they have the right qualities. What also gave me confidence in the games that both were away at the AFCON the team managed quite well with just Jota doing his bit - who I actually think does quite well by himself.

Also you are missing something - I don't think for a minute that Mo or Mane were world-class when they joined us, if they were world class their price tags would have been much higher than what we paid for them. This is not uncommon with what Klopp did with Dortmund, sometimes certain players look the business when playing for him but as soon as they got bought by other higher tier teams they just could not make it.

You quoted Liecester above and those players - they got really lucky with their recruitment in that they had three signings which were akin to Leeds purchase of Rafinha, and rightly as you say they had a stable defense. But what was also at play in their win that season was that none of the other top teams (except Spurs) were ready or showed enough ambition to try and win the PL. In my view that was a missed opportunity for us, as I think we could have done something that season - at one point we were 4th and maybe could have pushed a bit more but Klopp was introducing his heavy metal stuff which got us to two cup finals in that first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom