• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Salah for Werner?

Prefix for Poll Threads

Would you swap Salah for Werner?

• Yes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 92.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I'm disrespectful for thinking that Salah is an excellent player, but not some giant of football that's irreplaceable.

Yeah, but can we afford to not cash in on his 2-3 very good seasons? Salah would have been worth more last season than he is now, because people are realizing he's not the likes of Messi or a Suarez. As he loses pace, to me it's obvious that he doesn't have as much in his locker as they do.

I know fuck all about Werner, and you are right that it will be difficult to replace Salah's goals one for one, so that's not the best jumping off point for this discussion, but it's clear that if we want to be successful long term, we can't let this team overripen, especially since our style of play requires so much energy and running. But Klopp isn't an idiot. I don't think he's going to look to replace Salah, I think he's going to look to replace his threat overall with a different system. In that way, there are lots of other options we could take, and for me, he's easier to replace than Mane will be, because good luck finding anyone as good as Mane who is willing and able to do as much defensive work.

To look at it another way, we have to plan for his replacement either way. How much money do you want to have from his sale, when we do that? Because if we wait too long, it won't be near as much.
As important as it is not to let this team overripen, it is to not abandon our peak too early. In my view, most great teams / cores have a 3-4 year peak, and we're only in the second year of ours.

I'm convinced this core with 2 or 3 non-marquee embellishments (Minamino and hopefully 1-2 more in the summer) will win more trophies in the next 2-3 years.

Selling Salah this summer to somehow prolong our winning window wouldn't make sense, because that'd essentially obliterate the most productive part of our core - our absolutely brilliant and completely in-sync attack.

Re: Salah's comparison with Messi or Suarez, he's not as skilled at them, but is he so different from Aguero or Vardy, both speed demons and finishers (exactly what Salah is), and productive still in their 30s? I think your point about cashing in on Salah would make sense only if he had some major injury history. On the contrary, his injury record is, touch wood, largely brilliant. He's superbly conditioned, has no lazy or reportedly poor eating habits. There is every reason I think that he should productive till he's about 30. If that eventually leads an erosion in his market value, so be it. Who cares? He might not have another 44 goal season, but if he gives us 25 goals a season for another 2 years, we'd be dickheads to even think of selling him.

As a separate point, given the fact that we're now so successful both on and off the pitch, do we really even need to think at present about selling players to improve our team? Surely we have enough money to secure some top young talent for the future, without jeopardizing the present.

There will come a time again when we'll need to do that, but this isn't it.

As important as it is not to let this team overripen, it is to not abandon our peak too early. In my view, most great teams / cores have a 3-4 year peak, and we're only in the second year of ours.

I'm convinced this core with 2 or 3 non-marquee embellishments (Minamino and hopefully 1-2 more in the summer) will win more trophies in the next 2-3 years.

Selling Salah this summer to somehow prolong our winning window wouldn't make sense, because that'd essentially obliterate the most productive part of our core - our absolutely brilliant and completely in-sync attack.

Re: Salah's comparison with Messi or Suarez, he's not as skilled at them, but is he so different from Aguero or Vardy, both speed demons and finishers (exactly what Salah is), and productive still in their 30s? I think your point about cashing in on Salah would make sense only if he had some major injury history. On the contrary, his injury record is, touch wood, largely brilliant. He's superbly conditioned, has no lazy or reportedly poor eating habits. There is every reason I think that he should productive till he's about 30. If that eventually leads an erosion in his market value, so be it. Who cares? He might not have another 44 goal season, but if he gives us 25 goals a season for another 2 years, we'd be dickheads to even think of selling him.

As a separate point, given the fact that we're now so successful both on and off the pitch, do we really even need to think at present about selling players to improve our team? Surely we have enough money to secure some top young talent for the future, without jeopardizing the present.

There will come a time again when we'll need to do that, but this isn't it.

I agree with you, essentially, that we shouldn't be looking to do anything now. The sticking point is that we aren't in control of all the variables here. There are teams that are going to throw ludicrous amounts of money at us, and I don't see us holding on to our front three as it exists now for 2 more years either way. Not that we should make it a self-fulfilling prophecy, but if any of them agitate for a move to the extent that the harmony of the attack is interrupted anyway, then things change.

I also disagree with the proposition that Salah is a speed demon and a finisher. He's a speed demon and a massive goal threat. He's not a clinical finisher at all. When he was like that, he was absolutely unplayable. If Salah was more often like that, I'd find it impossible to imagine his replacement.

I don't really know why I don't love Salah more. Part of it has nothing to do with him. In terms of his attitude and ego, he's certainly the only classic forward in our team, and we need that. But after a succession of absolutely brilliant forwards giving up on us, I've given up on them. Part of it is also that when I was watching him at his very very best, I didn't see technique there that explained the goals. Now we've reverted a little to the mean, but instead of a realistic understanding of him as an excellent player on a team that absolutely plays to his strengths, he's blown up into an international sensation, beloved by millions, millions that don't even really give a shit about Liverpool. That's where my dickhead contrarian impulse kicks in.

This is a great team to be a forward on. In the past that didn't seem to be the case, and we felt they just carried the team.

I think it was interesting that when Klopp was talking about his extension he was talking about leaving a team in good shape and what not.

That to me suggested that they are already thinking about managing the transition from this cycle to the next

The likes of Messi at teams like Barca and bad comparisons because those teams can afford to consistently spend big money to stay at the top (or at least could historically).

Klopp, Edwards et al will have to walk a fine line between squeezing as much as they can from the current set up and ensuring we're not left in the shit in a couple seasons. As said, quite a few of players will be approaching 30 or past it by that point.

The fact that we spent fuck all last summer will surely help.

We've got very few first team players in the 18-23 age bracket - just Gomez and TAA I think. That's where we need our big signings to be surely.

I don't think I'm disrespectful for thinking that Salah is an excellent player, but not some giant of football that's irreplaceable.

He's a giant of football for Liverpool; most goals in a premier league season, fastest player to Score 50 Goals for Liverpool; fastest Liverpool player to Score 50 Premier League Goals; most goals in the first 100 appearances in all competition in Liverpool club history.

85 Liverpool goals so far in his Anfield career, current top scorer, and fucking irreplaceable.

Simple question, would you sell Salah and buy Werner for £27m?
We get a younger forward and the club will also make a healthy profit, that can possibly be used to buy another player.

Edit: To clarify, I mean in the summer! Not mid season.

Joke poll. Swapping a world class talent for a bloke with a less than proflic record.

Add in the fact that Timo Werner is said to have requested to be substituted during the club's first ever away Champions League fixture because of noisy Beskitas fans.

Last edited:
I think we're getting guilty as a fanbase of trying to predict the model that liverpool has been using in recent years i.e. selling the odd player at their peak price in order to invest where it is needed. Salah is an obvious candidate for that, but it leaves a huge gap that is not easily filled. We don't need to sell him in the next 2-3 years as we have few obvious gaps other than needing depth. I also see no reason why he couldn't be sold for a fortune in 2-3 seasons time when he will still only be 30/31 and still be relevant to this model.

I would keep him to milk what we have (the best front three in world football) whilst we have it and get as many trophies as possible.

Last edited:
I think we're getting guilty as a fanbase of trying to predict the model that liverpool has been using in recent years i.e. selling the odd player at their peak price in order to invest where it is needed

It's not a model really. When have we done that before?

We've lost hugely important players for gigantic fees in recent years (Suarez, Torres), but it hasn't been our decision, or any kind of master-plan, no matter what the usual divvies pretend.

And Klopp didn't really want to sell Coutinho either, although we'd have been unable to buy Alisson and Van Dijk if we hadn't, so it seems like a great deal in retrospect.

The excuse for Last summers no signing was that we have awarded big contracts to the existing players.

We are not likely to spend big again unless we sell another first teamer

We've got very few first team players in the 18-23 age bracket - just Gomez and TAA I think. That's where we need our big signings to be surely.

From those that will likely be around in 2-3 years time, and at or close to their prime (age given below is exactly 2 years from now), it looks to be exactly the average age of title winners (we are clearly a bit below that this season).

Alisson 29, TAA 23, Robbo 27, VvD 30 (CBs & Keepers obviously go on for much longer than your average player), Matip 30, Gomez 24, Fabinho 28, Gini 31, Keita 26, Hendo 31, Ox 28, Mane 29, Minamino 26, Salah 29, Firmino 30, Origi 26. Ave. 27.93 years old. Add in 3-4 younger players who will have arrived so the average would probably be around 26.5 to 27.5.

Those likely retired or departed:

Millie 36, Lallana 33, Shaqiri 30.

So clearly this squad has, at the very least, 2 more years to go at their prime, maybe even 3 years and with 1-2 judicious additions each season, and maybe with one or two leaving, I see no reason whatsoever to be concerned at this stage of the squad going to pot.

Transfers like that of Minamino and maybe a 'major' signing each season will see us continue, hopefully, as we are. Of course not all those arriving will be a success, even though Klopp & our scouting team have been exceptional in that regard, but we will have the time to assess and make changes, probably without any major impact on results, if that is the case.

Last edited:
And Klopp didn't really want to sell Coutinho either, although we'd have been unable to buy Alisson and Van Dijk if we hadn't, so it seems like a great deal in retrospect.
I thought the story was that Klopp wanted to sell him as soon as he made it clear he wanted to leave, it was more FSG who insisted he stayed.

But that may just be lizard propaganda I guess

Modo Modo Modo, while it may happen you are never going to get any kind of support for an idea like this except maybe from Ross.

If you had said Mbappe then maybe.

I do wonder when if at all Klopp will look to rebuild the team as he’s stated that’s why he signed on for a longer contract.

Ferguson was very good at selling good players just before they went downhill.

Setting Werner aside, the question is really around our asset management. From a perspective of buy low, sell high, the time is approaching to sell Salah at his transfer market peak and invest in the next star.

But despite our impressive transfer successes I'm reluctant to do so because the two decades of shoddy scouting and purchases still haunts me and I'm concerned of replacing him with a dud. Plus he appears to be happy and settled and works well in the context of our team. I'd rather ride him out another 1-2 seasons at minimum and reassess from there.

Lets get another couple league titles and European trophies before we consider breaki
The excuse for Last summers no signing was that we have awarded big contracts to the existing players.

We are not likely to spend big again unless we sell another first teamer
IE there is no money unless players are sold, despite record profits and turnover.

Modo Modo Modo, while it may happen you are never going to get any kind of support for an idea like this except maybe from Ross.

I do wonder when if at all Klopp will look to rebuild the team as he’s stated that’s why he signed on for a longer contract.

I'm not big on Werner. I asked because he reportedly turned us down last summer because he didn't want to be on the bench.

They've been spoiled lately, that's their problem.
I have had my moments regarding Salah, not pleased with him at times. Sometimes I think he should just go but then the brain comes on, and you think ... record scorer for club and this league, and then you think...the fuck am i thinking. He will again probably get 20 goals plus this season, that ia 3 seasons in a row.

Oh.... so you wouldn’t want to sign Ryan Fraser & Callum Wilson instead of Mbappe now?

Werner doesn't like loud stadiums. I get bad vibes from his face too.

Maybe his face is a conduit for converting stadium sound into bad vibes and he’s only trying to protect you Gene.

If we sell Mo and sign Werner WTF will his song be?

Timo Werner he`s just a learner running down the wing :(

Simple question Modo, Do you want to fuck this poisonous thread off now, or after he puts 45 in next season?

I do think Salah is a bit wasteful to be fair, considering how many chances he gets. Hate to think what sort of numbers Fowler would have in this team if he got the same amount of chances. Although he obviously didn't have the fitness to get into them.

Fowler missed loads of chances too and have big droughts in front of goal.

The amount of disrespect Salah has been getting on here lately is amazing. He's one of the most sensational goalscorers in our history. If he stays here for another season, he'll be in our top 10 goalscorers of all time. Just think of how staggeringly good that is.

There are only about 3-4 players on the planet who could replace Salah in our line-up.

But is Werner one of them? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom