• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sadio Mane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Real a bigger team then us right now?

Considering they are the reigning European champions 3 years in a row and we haven’t won a trophy in donkeys years then I would say that’s a very silly question.

He's on £200k, challenging for both Premier League and Champions League, playing in the best league in the world. The situations are hardly comparable.

He went on strike to move to a bigger club.

Real are a bigger club. That’s enough similarity for me to be very worried.

Anyone who doesn't think the guy would leave for Real in the blink of an eye hasn't been paying attention to football for the past eleventy hundred years. If they come calling he'll be gone. Fuck it, since Torres I couldn't care less about any of them. Help win us something and he'll be remembered fondly, but that's about it. South American or African kids growing up in poverty don't dream of playing for us. They dream of playing for Real or Barca. that's been proven time and time again.

Yep.

He's sensational, but Klopp knows how to replace. He's replacable, like them all, because we have $ and a good manager

Lads, you're not a minger at the disco anymore. You're the most attractive lass in town!
Except we are not. We are more like the girl you can a fun time with but you dump when you want to get serious aka win trophies.

Considering they are the reigning European champions 3 years in a row and we haven’t won a trophy in donkeys years then I would say that’s a very silly question.

If you bothered to read any of the previous posts, it said now. N O W. Post Cristiano Ronaldo era. Its not the Real Madrid side from 1-3 years ago that are interested in Mane. Its the side in need of a massive overhaul, struggling this season.

If you bothered to read any of the previous posts, it said now. N O W. Post Cristiano Ronaldo era. Its not the Real Madrid side from 1-3 years ago that are interested in Mane. Its the side in need of a massive overhaul, struggling this season.

Wtf do you mean now? What as in this season?

Who the fuck judges a team now? We’ve won nothing as of right now and so have they.

They have the money and pulling power to turn it around in one season.

Wtf do you mean now? What as in this season?

Who the fuck judges a team now? We’ve won nothing as of right now and so have they.

They have the money and pulling power to turn it around in one season.

I think the whole point is lost on you. Just forget it..

I think the whole point is lost on you. Just forget it..

I got your point in every post. I just thought it was stupid and incorrect.

Real Madrid even in their current non trophy winning season are a bigger attraction than us.

It's a bit of a silly statement from Hansern, but there's a point in there.

Salzberg to Southampton, massive step up in league quality, and wages.
Southampton to Liverpool, massive step up in team quality, trophy potential, and wages.
Liverpool to Madrid, sidewards step in team quality, step down in league quality, [hl]step up in trophy potential, maybe step up in wages.[/hl]

There's clearly some appeal, but it's nothing like the transfers before it, and arguably, in some facets its a step down / sidewards.
The two biggest reasons why players move

His biggest strength for me is his first 2-3 yards. He seems to miscontrol quite a fair bit with the ball bouncing a few yards away, and any other player would lose the ball. With him he somehow accelerates quicker than anyone else and proceeds to control the ball like nothing had happened. I was amazed by that speed (but crazily not much else at the time) back in his Southampton days. I imagine he’ll decline rapidly as he eventually loses his speed, but right now it’s a massive weapon.

First of all how can anyone have doubted Mane ? - since we have bought him he has always delivered, granted he has had a few games where things have not gone well, but generally I consider him to the be the primary threat up front for us. I think the opposition see Salah as a bag of tricks that can go onto score if given the space and time, but with Mane you just don't know what you are going to get other than the fact that he is very scary to face. For this reason if it came to selling one of those two - I would sell Salah over Mane any day of the week. I know to many this will sound strange - I think Mane can do damage by himself with limited support, but I don't think our team with just Salah up front would be enough of a threat.

@juniormember - I agree with you on the first 2-3 yards and the pace, but I actually don't think he gets the chance or uses that pace in the same way that other pacey players do in the league like Sane, or Sterling. Mane uses it in counter-attacking situations, but rarely uses it in normal game situations, but when he does - it' is like a jet fighter with the afterburners suddenly coming alive !!! - his biggest strength in my view is his combative nature in the penalty area, which is not about pace but more about using body strength to single-mindedly get past a player with skill and then the lethal shot that follows. He epitomises what I call the 'unpredictable/skilful' player - but unlike most of those player types - he actually delivers an end-product more often than not.

First of all how can anyone have doubted Mane ? - since we have bought him he has always delivered, granted he has had a few games where things have not gone well, but generally I consider him to the be the primary threat up front for us. I think the opposition see Salah as a bag of tricks that can go onto score if given the space and time, but with Mane you just don't know what you are going to get other than the fact that he is very scary to face. For this reason if it came to selling one of those two - I would sell Salah over Mane any day of the week. I know to many this will sound strange - I think Mane can do damage by himself with limited support, but I don't think our team with just Salah up front would be enough of a threat.

@juniormember - I agree with you on the first 2-3 yards and the pace, but I actually don't think he gets the chance or uses that pace in the same way that other pacey players do in the league like Sane, or Sterling. Mane uses it in counter-attacking situations, but rarely uses it in normal game situations, but when he does - it' is like a jet fighter with the afterburners suddenly coming alive !!! - his biggest strength in my view is his combative nature in the penalty area, which is not about pace but more about using body strength to single-mindedly get past a player with skill and then the lethal shot that follows. He epitomises what I call the 'unpredictable/skilful' player - but unlike most of those player types - he actually delivers an end-product more often than not.

Lol I love Mane, but his biggest problem has always been end product. He’s on fire at the moment but that doesn’t mean he delivers more often then not

Lol I love Mane, but his biggest problem has always been end product. He’s on fire at the moment but that doesn’t mean he delivers more often then not
I know people hate stats on here, but I listened to the blood red stats podcast & they did a load of Mane & Salah.

Despite what recent form tells us Salah has still been better for us this season cos of how many goals he's been involved in.

Mane is massively over performing currently, his conversion rate is so much higher than usual that he will almost certainly regress to the mean soon. In real life terms that means we need goals from elsewhere, presumably Salah, & soon.

He's got double figures plus in the league for the last five seasons. For a winger, that's not someone struggling with end product.

We have to start winning trophies, ideally one of the 2 we are in for this season if we want to keep hold of Salah and Mane. We cannot moan about players moving to other big European clubs if we are not winning trophies and currently we are not, not since 2012 in fact.

Mane is just more scary to face for defenders and comes across much harder than Salah. I dont think we can say for certain he is over performing, last season he got screwed up with that ban and then had to find form and was really the start of the partnership between bobby, and Salah and also the adjustment to Coutinho leaving. I think we could be seeing the rise of Mane into this world class player.

He's got double figures plus in the league for the last five seasons. For a winger, that's not someone struggling with end product.
I think for someone of his immense talent and potential, he should be aiming higher than that. Which is what he seems to be doing right now.
He needs to keep scoring 20+ goals per season to be among the best.

I think for someone of his immense talent and potential, he should be aiming higher than that. Which is what he seems to be doing right now.
He needs to keep scoring 20+ goals per season to be among the best.
Well exactly, he's steadily been improving in every regard, but he's never had an end product issue. That critisicm is much fairer on a player like Coutinho or in the past Firmino.

It's no coincidence that mane scores more when Salah scores fewer.

Salah is the focus of most sides defence, so Mane has a little more time on the ball this season. As such when his conversion rate improves as dramatically as it has recently he will get more goals.

He does, but Salah does even more of that, & even despite this slump his overall season stats are better than Mane's.

As brilliant as Mane is currently, we need Salah to start adding goals to his game again.
I mean in terms of tackles and interceptions. I really think he's every bit as effective as Bobby at winning the ball back, but seems to rarely get credit for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom