• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sack Race 22/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premier League have to come up with a contingency plan to stop all these sackings, it's not right clubs can sack whenever they want how often they want.

In 6 months they've spent 600m and sacked 2 managers.....they've sacked about 10 managers in the last 11-12 years.
Don’t be silly. These are business concerns that can hire and fire whomever they want whenever they want. The PL have no legal right to interfere.

Absolutely nothing to do with football. Maybe.

Tony’s Chocolonely on 1st April launched new weed chocolate bar.
This really only could've been pulled off by a Dutch company. In 2016, Tony’s Chocolonely announced the launch of a brand new chocolate bar: the Space Bar. As the name might suggest, this was a chocolate bar with a Dutch twist; it consisted of milk chocolate and crumbled-up marijuana!

To keep in line with the company's sustainability principles, the ganja would of course be purely biological, and locally grown. While this might have been a great idea - the Space Bar would certainly have taken off - that's all it was: an idea. Sadly, the Space Bar would not ever reach the shelves of supermarkets.

Don’t be silly. These are business concerns that can hire and fire whomever they want whenever they want. The PL have no legal right to interfere.
Then the CAS should interfere, its a mockery to the sport and damages the reputation. You dont see the FA firing referees do you? Why isn’t it a “business concern” for them to spend what they want? There have to be regulations.

Then the CAS should interfere, its a mockery to the sport and damages the reputation. You dont see the FA firing referees do you? Why isn’t it a “business concern” for them to spend what they want? There have to be regulations.
No it doesn't, Watford have gone through more managers as probably have Spurs. You are the only one voicing this, no one else is, including the managers concerned, who all got a big fat pay off.

No it doesn't, Watford have gone through more managers as probably have Spurs. You are the only one voicing this, no one else is, including the managers concerned, who all got a big fat pay off.
Maybe I am but I'm allowed to voice this, maybe I actually care enough for the sport so that it's played in the right way & improve the league in this country.

& I'm sure many others out there who follow the league find it an embarrassment how often managers are sacked.

I really ought to be put in charge of the FA, I'd shake up things no end and smack a few people around who've allowed the state of football in this country to reach an all time low.

There is no legal barrier to not interfere. There is a transfer window. Could easily lend itself to be extended to managers too.

There is no legal barrier to not interfere. There is a transfer window. Could easily lend itself to be extended to managers too.
I'll bet you there is. @Beamrider ?

To be clear. Players can be sacked and hired (if not already contracted) so it's the actual 'transfer' that is the problem (an agreement between leagues not to register players unless within a specific timeframe).
However to apply that to managers (that aren't on gardening leave) simply isn't feasible without incurring the wrath of numerous authorities under 'restraint of trade'. Players that are sacked can also sign for another club.

Maybe Beamrider can confirm that ... or otherwise.

Last edited:

To be clear. Players can be sacked and hired (if not already contracted) so it's the actual 'transfer' that is the problem (an agreement between leagues not to register players unless within a specific timeframe).
However to apply that to managers (that aren't on gardening leave) simply isn't feasible without incurring the wrath of numerous authorities under 'restraint of trade'. Players that are sacked can also sign for another club.

I don't think it would work for managers and therefore clubs would never go for it. If your star striker is having a rough time, you bench him and put the next best option in the team, you just can't do that with managers, much as it would have been amusing to see Everton forced to keep hold of Frank until the end of the season.
There's also no standard contract for managers like there is with players, so it's all down to what the individual manager / agent negotiate. I do think it would make sense to have some degree of standardised arrangements, including a process for agreeing compensation where a club poaches another club's manager (i.e. non-negotiable clauses that would have to be included in contracts). I just don't see a situation where clubs will be happy to have to make do with what they've got until the next window.
On the restraint of trade issues, I'm not sure that's in point. If a manager has a contract then he's bound by the terms of that contract, just as any employee would be. If there is an enforced gardening leave situation then that's probably constructive dismissal or something similar (removing him from his post), but the usual recourse in that situation is to sue for damages and the club continuing to pay him means he probably has no cause of action against the club (no financial damage, other than possible performance bonuses).
If another club comes along and offers him more cash then he's at liberty to breach the existing contract if he really wants to and that's when the compensation process kicks in - current club agrees to release him from the contract on receipt of a payment from the new employer, otherwise the former club will seek damages against the departing manager (although probably minimal in that situation).
But again, all of this is down to how the contract is negotiated in the first place. If the manager or his agent is smart, they'll agree a clause that pays him off if he is removed from post. The club, by contrast, will want the gardening leave option as it enables them to:
  1. Delay the payment of wages over the remaining term of the contract
  2. Potentially secure a fee if another club wants him
  3. Discharge some or all of remaining wage liability at the point he takes a new job
How generous the terms are is a pure negotiating position and it's always open to the parties to agree a compromise. If they had a standard contract, like the players do, then none of that would be possible.
The terms of the players' deals, which favour them, are a result of them being unionised via the PFA. Feel free to applaud or get angry with that according to your political persuasion. Personally I think it's a good thing for those lower down the pecking order, but it can be dysfunctional for the better-paid lads.
Finally, bear in mind that, on average, clubs might do a contract for a manager every 2-3 years (more frequently this season obviously) but they might do 40-50 player deals every year, so it makes sense not to have to negotiate for players and to have flexibility in how they do a manager's deal.

Maybe I am but I'm allowed to voice this, maybe I actually care enough for the sport so that it's played in the right way & improve the league in this country.

& I'm sure many others out there who follow the league find it an embarrassment how often managers are sacked.

I really ought to be put in charge of the FA, I'd shake up things no end and smack a few people around who've allowed the state of football in this country to reach an all time low.
Most leagues have trigger-happy owners... RM want Ancelotti out despite him winning a double last season. Neglesman was fired despite being a touching distance from 1st, whilst still being in the CL. PSG will be looking for a new manager.
It goes on every league... if anything most clubs in PL are more patient than the one's on the continent.

Most leagues have trigger-happy owners... RM want Ancelotti out despite him winning a double last season. Neglesman was fired despite being a touching distance from 1st, whilst still being in the CL. PSG will be looking for a new manager.
It goes on every league... if anything most clubs in PL are more patient than the one's on the continent.

Makes sense that Ancelotti leaves RM - but who are they going to line up next?

Ancelotti to PSG unless he retires
Xabi to Real Madrid
Naglesman to Chelsea
Sherwood to Spurs
In all honesty Potter to Spurs
Pooch to AM?

Makes sense that Ancelotti leaves RM - but who are they going to line up next?

Frank%20Lampard%20Everton%20debut%20020822.jpg

At RM?

That’ll go well.

I mean, he probably is the most likely candidate - Poch seems to be favourite, Raul & Xabi too inexperienced.

Seen Gallardo from River Plate mentioned, even though he hasn’t managed in Europe. Surely they can’t go back to one of their old coaches - Mourniho or Zidane?

Interesting time, Chelsea & Spurs looking for a manager, with a fair chance, Real, Atletico & PSG all looking for managers in the summer.

Fancy he’ll get the West Ham job, Potter to Leicester, Rodgers to Palace or Leeds, Conte would suit Atletico, Zidane to PSG, Poch to RM, Simeone to Chelsea & Nagelsman to Spurs.

Fucked if I know Terry…

There's every chance Real move for Nagelsmann.

If i was a manager out of a job, this summer could be huge. Tons of vacancies

To be clear.. there is no legal barrier to stop clubs firing managers.

But there is no legal barrier to stop teams hiring a freshly fired manager either.

There could be something along the lines of the 2 club rule introduced per season. But make it 1 club rule for managers.

Sack your manager.. here is a pool of managers been out of work for a year... or promote from within caretaker style.

Of course owners would never approve it.

Fancy he’ll get the West Ham job, Potter to Leicester, Rodgers to Palace or Leeds, Conte would suit Atletico, Zidane to PSG, Poch to RM, Simeone to Chelsea & Nagelsman to Spurs.

Fucked if I know Terry…
If Moyes goes, I can see Will Still going there - he has already said that's his dream club

Brendan Rodgers should be Chelsea's next manager, not Julian Nagelsmann says Paul Merson

o_O

[article]I would like to see Brendan Rodgers in at Chelsea. Either Rodgers or Mauricio Pochettino, who would have to get off to a flyer at Stamford Bridge given his previous allegiances with Tottenham. If he lost his first two games, there would be mayhem.

I'm a big Brendan Rodgers fan. Unfortunately, things have gone horribly wrong at Leicester. In football it all comes down to timing, and let's be honest, if Leicester were where Brighton are now, everyone would be calling for Rodgers to go to Chelsea.

Rodgers ticks every box; he plays on the front foot, he started his coaching career at Chelsea and knows the club. But the timing of the Chelsea job coming up this time hasn't worked in his favour,
with him getting the sack at Leicester four hours before Potter was relieved of his duties.

Chelsea fans will question why they should turn to a manager who has just been sacked by Leicester, but if you look at the all-round picture, Rodgers is a good manager who has worked at top clubs like Liverpool and Celtic, won trophies at Leicester and put them on the brink of Champions League qualification. I just think Rodgers is the one.[/article]

Brendan Rodgers should be Chelsea's next manager, not Julian Nagelsmann says Paul Merson

o_O

[article]I would like to see Brendan Rodgers in at Chelsea. Either Rodgers or Mauricio Pochettino, who would have to get off to a flyer at Stamford Bridge given his previous allegiances with Tottenham. If he lost his first two games, there would be mayhem.

I'm a big Brendan Rodgers fan. Unfortunately, things have gone horribly wrong at Leicester. In football it all comes down to timing, and let's be honest, if Leicester were where Brighton are now, everyone would be calling for Rodgers to go to Chelsea.

Rodgers ticks every box; he plays on the front foot, he started his coaching career at Chelsea and knows the club. But the timing of the Chelsea job coming up this time hasn't worked in his favour,
with him getting the sack at Leicester four hours before Potter was relieved of his duties.

Chelsea fans will question why they should turn to a manager who has just been sacked by Leicester, but if you look at the all-round picture, Rodgers is a good manager who has worked at top clubs like Liverpool and Celtic, won trophies at Leicester and put them on the brink of Champions League qualification. I just think Rodgers is the one.[/article]

I too think Chelsea should bring in Rodgers. Spurs should strongly consider Patrick Vieira as well.

Who gives a fuck where anyone goes.

Facts are they're all gonna be sacked sooner or later so there's no real point either laughing or being disappointing which club goes for who.

If Potter wants to get sacked within a year, he'll manager in the Prem.
If Lampard & Gerrard want to get sacked within a year, they'll manage in the Prem
If Nagelsman wants to go to Spurs, he'll get sacked within a year.
If Rodgers somehow gets another job in the Prem, he'll get sacked within a year too

Round and round we go.

Rodgers will end up being the new Roy.
Potter will end up being the new Pardew
Lampard will end up being the new Pulis
Gerrard will end up being the new Hughes
& you probably for Rafa lurking in the background to, he'll end up being the new Fat Sam.

Where they end up managing over half of the teams in the league, it's a fucking joke.

Last edited:
Who gives a fuck where anyone goes.

Facts are they're all gonna be sacked sooner or later so there's no real point either laughing or being disappointing which club goes for who.

If Potter wants to get sacked within a year, he'll manager in the Prem.
If Lampard & Gerrard want to get sacked within a year, they'll manage in the Prem
If Nagelsman wants to go to Spurs, he'll get sacked within a year.
If Rodgers somehow gets another job in the Prem, he'll get sacked within a year too

Round and round we go.

Rodgers will end up being the new Roy.
Potter will end up being the new Pardew
Lampard will end up being the new Pulis
Gerrard will end up being the new Hughes
& you probably for Rafa lurking in the background to, he'll end up being the new Fat Sam.

Where they end up managing over half of the teams in the league, it's a fucking joke.

Now do Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom