• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Shrewbury (H) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woltman - barely any service, couldn’t compete for headers, had one shot in the penalty area blocked. Subbed for Taki at half-time.

Gordon - the one bright spark in attack in the first half, you can see he actually wants to score, not just faffle about on the wing. Started to get tired around 60 min mark.

Dixon-Bonner - looked lost at RCM, but improved playing on the left wing after a tactical rejig in the 2nd half. Missed a sitter.

Morton - not sure he qualifies as a kid at this point, solid midfield performance. Had a long-range shot blocked for a corner.

Bradley - looked physically outmatched by the Shrews LW he was playing against; beaten too easily for a couple of dangerous crosses including the one that was converted for a goal. Kept at it though and produced an assist for Gordon and a secondary assist for Bobby.

Frauendorf - came on for Gordon for the last 20 mins, some decent interplay on the right wing. Looks like an unfussy, professional type.
Thanks man appreciate it.
What about Neco?
Does it mean that the rumours are true?

Back from watching Matrix, Cardiff at home? I’d have taken that but good god other than maybe Spurs Brighton that draw is as dull as dishwater.

Jones might have been out with Covid as well, but I thought he was really disapointing.
In a game like this you’d expect him to stand out.

The number of times I've watched Jones and been impressed by him could probably count on one hand. He's been a total non event this season for lots of reasons. I get the sense that he's hit a wall in terms of his development, he's not currently good enough to start for us and he needs to play regularly to see how far he can go. If our midfield wasn't crammed full of sick notes we'd probably do well to loan him out and get him games. As it stands he's just treading water.

The number of times I've watched Jones and been impressed by him could probably count on one hand. He's been a total non event this season for lots of reasons. I get the sense that he's hit a wall in terms of his development, he's not currently good enough to start for us and he needs to play regularly to see how far he can go. If our midfield wasn't crammed full of sick notes we'd probably do well to loan him out and get him games. As it stands he's just treading water.
Feels like the coaches picked this up early in the season and gave Elliott the chance in his place.

I saw it a little differently today though ultimately end up with a similar conclusion.

He is clearly talented and for me that did stand out today. The problem is that he appears to have neither the brains to go with his talent and nor quite enough talent to go with his self-confidence. It's frustrating to watch.

That being said, he's still pretty young. You'd think he is someone that coaches can work with - it's not like there is no raw material there. The question is whether he has the capacity to learn and develop further.

I'm not so sure he's a Klopp type player though so it'll be interesting to see how things unfold for him.

I take it most of you didn’t see Forest dump Arsenal out of the FA Cup nor Spurs have to come from behind against Morecombe? Otherwise, you’d cut some of our players some slack.

Speed has never been important for a midfield role in our team - look at Fabinho and Milner, the pair of them are slower than evolution.
I didn't mean slow as in pace, I'm talking about his decision making. It just takes too long.

I watched the whole thing - we never got out of first gear, movement was poor, passing slow and sloppy.

They did what every team will do against us - to banks of 4, narrow close down space the minute we cross the half way line and look to get someone in behind the RB and get quick crosses in while our CB’s are facing goal.

We’ll just fanny about with the ball, going forward, the straight back to the CB’s to slowly pass it sideways, then forward... then back and sideways again.

Too often it feel like our forwards and advanced midfielders are standing static with their backs to goal, waiting for ball to feet - and they just ping it back to where it came from.

I think it stems from having players of limited creativity on the ball - can’t pick a pass and can’t run at or past someone to draw more than one opposition player out of position and create space for someone else.

We get up to the half way line and none of our midfielders know what to do with the ball.

I love Fabinho, but he’s there to break up opposition play - he’s not creative at all.

We’re missing someone that’ll drive forward from midfield (like a young Gerrard) or is capable of picking passes from deep (like an old Gerrard or an Alonso).

Telling that our best dribbler and passer from deep central positions are both CB’s rather than CM’s.

I watched the whole thing - we never got out of first gear, movement was poor, passing slow and sloppy.

They did what every team will do against us - to banks of 4, narrow close down space the minute we cross the half way line and look to get someone in behind the RB and get quick crosses in while our CB’s are facing goal.

We’ll just fanny about with the ball, going forward, the straight back to the CB’s to slowly pass it sideways, then forward... then back and sideways again.

Too often it feel like our forwards and advanced midfielders are standing static with their backs to goal, waiting for ball to feet - and they just ping it back to where it came from.

I think it stems from having players of limited creativity on the ball - can’t pick a pass and can’t run at or past someone to draw more than one opposition player out of position and create space for someone else.

We get up to the half way line and none of our midfielders know what to do with the ball.

I love Fabinho, but he’s there to break up opposition play - he’s not creative at all.

We’re missing someone that’ll drive forward from midfield (like a young Gerrard) or is capable of picking passes from deep (like an old Gerrard or an Alonso).

Telling that our best dribbler and passer from deep central positions are both CB’s rather than CM’s.
Reservations & injury issues aside : Keita, Thiago and Elliot all have that drive/dribbling in their locker, maybe even Jones. Hendo, Thiago and Fabs the long range passing. We really don't know what coaching instructions they are playing to though, it could be the recycling is what is being demanded of them.

Reservations & injury issues aside : Keita, Thiago and Elliot all have that drive/dribbling in their locker, maybe even Jones. Hendo, Thiago and Fabs the long range passing. We really don't know what coaching instructions they are playing to though, it could be the recycling is what is being demanded of them.

Could be - I mean I’m certainly not Jürgen Klopp - but it seems an obvious fault in our game and it feels we’re heading towards a gameplay of trying to bore our opponents to death in the event they don’t play a high line and give our players all the space they want.

Last edited:
I saw it a little differently today though ultimately end up with a similar conclusion.

He is clearly talented and for me that did stand out today. The problem is that he appears to have neither the brains to go with his talent and nor quite enough talent to go with his self-confidence. It's frustrating to watch.

That being said, he's still pretty young. You'd think he is someone that coaches can work with - it's not like there is no raw material there. The question is whether he has the capacity to learn and develop further.

I'm not so sure he's a Klopp type player though so it'll be interesting to see how things unfold for him.

I agree it seems to be more of a mentality issue than anything else. He seems to have one or two moments in a game at most and then sit back and admire his own work. He's nearly 21 so there is still time for him to develop but he needs to start making much quicker progress or others will push him further down the queue and 12 months from now we will be talking about trying to flog him to Villa for £12m

I agree it seems to be more of a mentality issue than anything else. He seems to have one or two moments in a game at most and then sit back and admire his own work. He's nearly 21 so there is still time for him to develop but he needs to start making much quicker progress or others will push him further down the queue and 12 months from now we will be talking about trying to flog him to Villa for £12m

I'd flog him to Villa for 12m now

Jones needs games week in, week out. For me he has the potential to be somewhere between what Coutinho and Wijnaldum offered for us

271668941_10222184169461374_1512592766913753037_n.jpg

Listen, some players got it, some players don't.
Just because you're good enough to play in the premier League, doesn't mean that you're good enough for LFC.
Now look at Elliott, it's quite clear that the kid has "it". Whatever "it" is...
We saw that in Sterling as well.
Of course there are exceptions, like Robbo and Carra for instance. The difference is, they're humble and put in the extra effort to make it.
I just don't see that happening with Jones. He already plays like he's the bees knees.

Jones was playing really well but then got injured ages ago and has only had minutes here and there, which can't do him any good. If he's ever going to get a chance to make an impression, now is it.

Listen, some players got it, some players don't.
Just because you're good enough to play in the premier League, doesn't mean that you're good enough for LFC.
Now look at Elliott, it's quite clear that the kid has "it". Whatever "it" is...

We saw that in Sterling as well.

Of course there are excpetions, like Robbo and Carra for instance. The difference is, they're humble and put in the extra effort to make it.
I just don't see that happening with Jones. He plays like he already thinks he's the bees knees.

I'm still hoping it clicks for him before fully discounting him, but he's making it more and more difficult to think he'll be as good as he thinks he is

I'm still hoping it clicks for him before fully discounting him, but he's making it more and more difficult to think he'll be as good as he thinks he is
Of course, I want him to succeed. We've all seen glimpses of what he can do. Glimpses ain't enough, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom