• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Palace (a) - Sun 14:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a different scenario

It really wasn't. Rash tackle by goalkeeper in his area - he could argue he had to go for it (though I don't think he did, in either case) but then he either has to find a way to make the tackle fairly or take the consequences.

It really wasn't. Rash tackle by goalkeeper in his area - he could argue he had to go for it (though I don't think he did, in either case) but then he either has to find a way to make the tackle fairly or take the consequences.

You'll never agree, but the Pickford one was different given the excessive force, as well the fact he was the one who flew into Van Dijk. Besides, wasn't Van Dijk offside? Can't give a penalty when he wasn't onside. Pickford still should, and could, have been sent off, though.

With today's one, Jota had overran the ball, then he was the one who moved into Guaita. Though there may be some technical application of a law within the game that gives that penalty, common sense would usually see that one not given. If that was given against us, I'd be furious. In fact, there was a similar instance a few years ago when Kane overran the ball and dangled a foot out to make contact with Karius. He was never getting the ball, he went out of his way to make contact with the keeper. The penalty was given, and we were all outraged. Today's shouldn't have been awarded.

The bit I really dislike about the penalty is that there was no way that it was clear and obvious. Those are the only calls that should be changed or sent to ref to look again. If it takes more than 60 seconds and 10 angles, it can’t be clear and obvious, so get on with it.

I don’t like these against or for us. Adds no value to the game.

It was never a penalty and we got fortunate throughout, but it is what it is. We scored at the right times.

The game summed up our season. We're not longer able to control games for 70-90 minutes on a consistent basis any more. Thiago gets us close, but we all know his story.

We were terrible at times, they had so many chances to win, amd VVD is in a terrible place to be fair. As for debating that penalty, I always thought that if you are impeded in any way in the penalty area, its a pen. That goalkeeper was no where near the ball but was enough to block jotta. So yeah a pen for me all day.

There was no way it was a penalty.

It wasn't even "clumsy from the keeper". Jota miscontrolled the ball, then he ran into Guaita and bundled himself over. I'm not sure what the goalkeeper was supposed to do.
The goalkeeper is supposed to go for the ball and stay clear of the player. He did neither, and gave jotta the excuse to go into him

I just don't understand why we keep making the same mistakes when we go 2-0 up. We stay with the high line and the midfield and forwards well advanced leaving us wide open to the counter or a ball from deep behind the full backs.

It's crazy. We are not good enough on the ball to retain possession high up the pitch for the whole game so when we take the lead, game management should mean we drop 5 metres deeper, stay compact in midfield and avoid mistakes.

Instead, we make it far too easy for the opposition again and again.

I don't want to take full credit for the win, but after turning on at 40 minutes straight to seeing Matip being a retard after hearing great reports of our play, I kept it on until they scored and had to go back to work. Then I turn it off and I hear LiVARpool are back. Lovely

That's impressive. You're not allowed to watch us ever again.

I think other than the Leicester game, we did pretty well to get through a challenging period full of disruptions and uncertainty. Still in all the cups, which is new... Back to full strength after the International break for the big games that will decide the outcome of this season.

First 35 mins were very impressive. Mind blowing to see us come out so unfocused in the 2nd half.
But all in all a massive win against a very good team.

Alisson was outstanding. Virgil showed a big FU to those who have doubted him and Robbo continued with his assists.

Fabinho with yet another great penalty. Must be our new nr 2 now.

First 35 mins were very impressive. Mind blowing to see us come out so unfocused in the 2nd half.
But all in all a massive win against a very good team.

Alisson was outstanding. Virgil showed a big FU to those who have doubted him and Robbo continued with his assists.

Fabinho with yet another great penalty. Must be our new nr 2 now.

Van Dijk looked off it again

Van Dijk looked off it again

He was excellent for the first 35 mins, and then we lost our shape and everyone struggled until the 80th min ish.
But he defended very well, pinging cross field balls with pinpoint accuracy, won everything in the air and scored a goal.

Not neccessary to look for something that isnt there.

Absolutely miss Thiago in a 2nd half like this. And, given he rarely lasts 90, I think we should just bring him on at the half once he recovers.

He was excellent for the first 35 mins, and then we lost our shape and everyone struggled until the 80th min ish.
But he defended very well, pinging cross field balls with pinpoint accuracy, won everything in the air and scored a goal.

Not neccessary to look for something that isnt there.

I thought that part of the big VVD sell was that he organized those around him and made them better... i.e turned us into a much better defensive unit along with Alisson.

I do think it’s fair to say that that hasn’t been on display this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom