• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Milan (H) - Wed 15th - 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game reminded me of the early Klopp era, before we signed VVD.

You could see all the potential, we can score for fun, the game plan was clear and we could execute it for large periods. However, we would frequently suffer because of poor game management and lack of concentration.

All of that was true last night. We got carried away under the lights, with the intense press and our territorial dominance, and left ourselves exposed at a period of the game we should be keeping the ball and seeing out the half. In many ways its one of our strongest performances in ages, but the lapses certainly were reminiscent of a previous era. Just grateful we can bring on VVD and all of those concerns completely evaporate.

I'm not pitching the blame at the CBs of Matip and Gomez. The attacking balance of the the fullbacks and the midfield got too gung-ho, which was the main cause of the Milan goals, IMO. I understand why... For the opening forty minutes it felt like we were playing a league one side, rather than AC Milan, but it's important for the players to not get into way of thinking on the pitch.

It all made for a great game.

Last edited:
The game reminded me of the early Klopp era, before we signed VVD.

You could see all the potential, we can score for fun, the game plan was clear and we could execute it for large periods. However, we would frequently suffer because of poor game management and lack of concentration.

All of that was true last night. We got carried away under the lights, with the intense press and our territorial dominance, leaving us exposed at a period of the game we should be keeping the ball and seeing out the half. In many ways its one of our strongest performances in ages, but the lapses certainly were reminiscent of a previous era. Just grateful we can bring on VVD and all of those concerns completely evaporate.

It all made for a great game.

Great point - there were times late in the second half where we were attacking with an intensity that would make you think we were the ones trailing and in need of a goal. The attacking performance was very good, could be more clinical but the intent was fantastic. Let's bang in a few against Palace now!

You mean Hendo who started the game? Funny that he had the tempo of it yeah o_O
Milner was composed but was on for less than 10 and most notably played it into their corner, and while I thought Jones was bright the play was lost with him on a couple of occasions. So again, let's keep the hyperbole under control eh?

Mane, as a poster said above had always been a bit of a streaky player and will sometimes run a bit hot and cold, but the season is 5 games old and he's scored a couple already so just chill TF out. Maybe he doesn't always run and beat a man now, but he still can. If you want to reference only tonight I unless Robbo was overlapping, and by the time Mane was on Robbo was focused a bit more on defence and not providing that outlet quite as much. He had one sort of chance, which was wonderful control on the chest from a good cross and then (likely with it being his first proper action of the game) he rushed his position and shot a bit. His feet for that however were fine.

The lad is one goal away from equalling Keegan on the Liverpool top scorers list, in a damn sight less games, and is still only 29. So maybe, just maybe, get behind him and stop being a hysterical bell.

What was it that you wrote earlier..? ah yes. "1 & 2 are not related in this case."
The fact that you don't really remember Keita doing it against Calibria and Kjaer has nothing to do with how Mane performed

Make as many exsuses as you wish Mane is out of sorts. Why do you think so many hear as been wanting Jota to start in games instead of Mane. Look at last season... Half the goals Salah scored. That by itself does not say much, but when you add it to his overall play.... Ok could be the effects of Long Covid

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison
2017/18 Salah 32 Mane 10 premier League goals (Salah's first season)
2018/19 Salah 22 Mane 22
2019/20 Salah 19 Mane 18
2020/21 Salah 22 Mane 11

It is not only about the goals. It is about the time now wants to take those chances. The way that he was taking players in the wide areas and going pass them, and the fact that he does not seem to be able to do that now...

Not saying that I want rid of Mane. What I am saying is that we need ro reconise that there is a problem there and get some quality cover in.

Insult in people is never a good way to put accross your points. Just makes me want to engage less with you

He played well and that was an exquisite assist for Mo's goal. You'd no doubt play our strongest team into the ground and then moan about injuries.

No, I just feel he offers very little these day and would have given that oppertunity to some one else

He had a tough start at the beginning did Pioli, also with their fans having managed Inter soon before (& failing).

But I think he's won them over now, he's builiding a very good side there...very good season last year and started this 1 like they finished last.

He's right we made it very tough for them and it's far from what they're used to in the Italian league where they always sit off and allow the other team a share of the possession.

I didn't see the whole match, but was anyone else impressed by Rafael Leao?

Silky feet but also pretty good eye for a pass it seems

2 things :

I’ve watched every game this season on my new TV in a specific room in the new house - I can’t remember what games I watched on it last season - but it would have been from the end of March, so I’m pretty confident I’ve not seen them lose on it.

I refuse to post in the match thread during the game.

Up at 5am for this one.

Thank me later.

I’ll do my best to counter Dreamies jinxy shit at the weekend - still think we should probably just sacrifice him.

No, I just feel he offers very little these day and would have given that oppertunity to some one else

Like who? Jones has been in poor form, as has Ox, Minamino is a bad fit. There's obviously a case that Divock has had loads of chances, but at least he has shown on occasion that he can look unplayable and he has bags of quality, he just lacks the right application. But I don't think you can really moan after that sort of performance, a win and the fact that there's not much else on the bench that would make a more significant impact.

I'm still willing him to do well, because he can be a top player when he wants to be, but this really is last chance saloon, he's been a fortunate beneficiary of our recent poor transfer policy, otherwise we could easily have bought someone and kicked him out the club. As it is he's here, he has a chance, so get behind him.

Like who? Jones has been in poor form, as has Ox, Minamino is a bad fit. There's obviously a case that Divock has had loads of chances, but at least he has shown on occasion that he can look unplayable and he has bags of quality, he just lacks the right application. But I don't think you can really moan after that sort of performance, a win and the fact that there's not much else on the bench that would make a more significant impact.

I'm still willing him to do well, because he can be a top player when he wants to be, but this really is last chance saloon, he's been a fortunate beneficiary of our recent poor transfer policy, otherwise we could easily have bought someone and kicked him out the club. As it is he's here, he has a chance, so get behind him.
That assist is one of the best things he's done in a Liverpool shirt. We all know Origi can finish, but his overall application and build up play was shocking. The return to a more rounded performance last night was arguably better than him getting a goal.

He also had a decent run down the left flank before being clearly fouled.

Alexander-Arnold made 15 passes, nine of them – yes, nine – crosses into the box. On the other side Robertson produced six of his own. That makes 15 crosses in 30 minutes of football, a cross every 90 seconds the ball was active. One can dwell on weaknesses. But this is also to miss the beauty, the power and the sheer brilliance of this kind of attacking pressure.

Off the bat, Mane.. I know at present he has not been great, but he is a lot better than Origi, and yes same can be said about Jones and Minamino.
Yes, give him his due Origi played a subline pass to Salah for one of his Salah. But are you really saying that we hold on to him for the one little contribution he has made in the last season and this one. Both Jones and Minamino has contributed in all aspects of the games than Ogiri

That has been the main trouble with us (LFC) we hold on the players when they fail to cut it any more for far too long like Daniel Sturridge who we should have sold three seasons before he went.
But in truth I would sooner have Sturridge with all his faults playing up front than Origi

Off the bat, Mane.. I know at present he has not been great, but he is a lot better than Origi, and yes same can be said about Jones and Minamino.
Yes, give him his due Origi played a subline pass to Salah for one of his Salah. But are you really saying that we hold on to him for the one little contribution he has made in the last season and this one. Both Jones and Minamino has contributed in all aspects of the games than Ogiri

That has been the main trouble with us (LFC) we hold on the players when they fail to cut it any more for far too long like Daniel Sturridge who we should have sold three seasons before he went.
But in truth I would sooner have Sturridge with all his faults playing up front than Origi

Not sure Origi’s game last night justifies keeping him, but we have him. If last night’s effort and performance can be repeated, we might as well use him.

Last edited:
Origi played well yesterday. It felt like Klopp was giving him a chance to impress the european teams, and he was more eager than usual.

Regardless of where he ends up eventually, he is a good player when he bothers to apply himself properly. Let's hope his form continues to be good, i'll much rather see him starting and playing in this form than Ox and Takumi.

What was it that you wrote earlier..? ah yes. "1 & 2 are not related in this case."
The fact that you don't really remember Keita doing it against Calibria and Kjaer has nothing to do with how Mane performed

Make as many exsuses as you wish Mane is out of sorts. Why do you think so many hear as been wanting Jota to start in games instead of Mane. Look at last season... Half the goals Salah scored. That by itself does not say much, but when you add it to his overall play.... Ok could be the effects of Long Covid

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison
2017/18 Salah 32 Mane 10 premier League goals (Salah's first season)
2018/19 Salah 22 Mane 22
2019/20 Salah 19 Mane 18
2020/21 Salah 22 Mane 11

It is not only about the goals. It is about the time now wants to take those chances. The way that he was taking players in the wide areas and going pass them, and the fact that he does not seem to be able to do that now...

Not saying that I want rid of Mane. What I am saying is that we need ro reconise that there is a problem there and get some quality cover in.

Insult in people is never a good way to put accross your points. Just makes me want to engage less with you

I'd say it was pretty relevant as he was the player who was operating that left channel more than anyone else, with Jota being central for most of the game. The overall point being that Milan's defenders did well for the most part on that side.

I don't feel the need to make "exsuses" for him as I don't think he needs defending. Every player goes through spells on occasion, and most eventually come through it ok. Bobby has had 2 or 3 times where he didn't look like he would score, but he still provided something to the team, and the same is largely true of Mane. Last season was a disappointment, by his own standards, and I'm sure he'd be the first to acknowledge that. Having said that it was an unusual year, and he unfortunately did have to deal with Covid, but he still beat the output of many a player in the league within the position. Heung Min Son aside, who enjoyed an exceptional year but is normally offering a similar return to Mane's last season, he equalled or bettered ever other left attacking player in the Prem.

So, sorry, I don't agree that there's particularly anything to worry about yet. I certainly don't think there's anything to go overboard on, which seems to be the M.O you approach a lot of subjects with. There's many things to be disgruntled with at the club, but most of them are not with the first team or coaching staff.
I also disagree with the cover that is needed, in that I think it's Firmino who needs a player to challenge his position as 9/10, as I think Jota (although he can play as a striker too) is very much seen as the player to rival Mane for the wide left position.

For all of that said, I would never be opposed to finding 'The next'. Having seem him on a couple of occasions, including last night, I'd concur with Hyena that Rafael Leao is very much worth keeping an eye on for that position. You want a technical player who can beat a player with speed and strength, then he may be where to look.

Last edited:
Not sure Origi’s game last night justifies keeping him, but we have him. If last night’s effort and performance can be repeated, we might as well use him.
Depend on how you view his performance...
I though he was very good (For Origi, that is) for the first 20-25 mins...Made real effort to close down Defenders, won the ball back on occassion, looked as if he was a goal treat, before the slowly started to reverting back to type, and the form; most part (accept the flick to salah) Look like the Origi we have become accustomed to

People here are saying that he needs more game time and does not get it...
Ask yourself the reason why...and why it is Klopp does not play him, or give him that time.

Had Frimno or Elliot been availble I doubt we would have seen him

I'd say it was pretty relevant as he was the player who was operating that left channel more than anyone else, with Jota being central for most of the game. The overall point being that Milan's defenders did well for the most part on that side.

I don't feel the need to make "exsuses" for him as I don't think he needs defending. Every player goes through spells on occasion, and most eventually come through it ok. Bobby has had 2 or 3 times where he didn't look like he would score, but he still provided something to the team, and the same is largely true of Mane. Last season was a disappointment, by his own standards, and I'm sure he'd be the first to acknowledge that. Having said that it was an unusual year, and he unfortunately did have to deal with Covid, but he still beat the output of many a player in the league within the position. Heung Min Son aside, who enjoyed an exceptional year but is normally offering a similar return to Mane's last season, he equalled or bettered ever other left attacking player in the Prem.

So, sorry, I don't agree that there's particularly anything to worry about yet. I certainly don't think there's anything to go overboard on, which seems to be the M.O you approach a lot of subjects with. There's many things to be disgruntled with at the club, but most of them are not with the first team or coaching staff.
I also disagree with the cover that is needed, in that I think it's Firmino who needs a player to challenge his position as 9/10, as I think Jota (although he can play as a striker too) is very much seen as the player to rival Mane for the wide left position.

For all of that said, I would never be opposed to finding 'The next'. Having seem him on a couple of occasions, including last night, I'd concur with Hyena that Rafael Leao is very much worth keeping an eye on for that position. You want a technical player who can beat a player with speed and strength, then he may be where to look.

Thank you...
I respect what you have said here. Sometimes I can come accross as If I do not see, or take in others opinions, or points of view. I will own that. It's me....
I tend to feel that is how I am treated sometimes, and feel that I have to defend my opinions. Again that is not anyones fualt but my ownI can come over as a type of Victor Meldrew...

I will try harder to do better...
Again Thank you

Depend on how you view his performance...
I though he was very good (For Origi, that is) for the first 20-25 mins...Made real effort to close down Defenders, won the ball back on occassion, looked as if he was a goal treat, before the slowly started to reverting back to type, and the form; most part (accept the flick to salah) Look like the Origi we have become accustomed to

People here are saying that he needs more game time and does not get it...
Ask yourself the reason why...and why it is Klopp does not play him, or give him that time.

Had Frimno or Elliot been availble I doubt we would have seen him

But Frim and Elliott were not available = might as well use him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom