1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Pre Match - Milan (H) - Wed 15th - 20:00

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Brizzle, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i_rushie

i_rushie Very Active Member

The criticism of Naby today (uninvolved, just passes the ball, ghost) are the exact ones made of Gini for the past 4-5 years. In the past week or so, we've also had comments about Jones not kicking on, not being progressive enough last season. Funnily enough, all three of them play in that left sided CM slot.

I think it's unfair and also no coincidence that both Naby and Gini are far more progressive in other teams and systems.

2. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

mark1975 likes this.
  3. Farkmaster

Farkmaster Very Well-Known Member

I've made this point before, but that wasn't my issue with him, it was his lack of consistency in positioning off the ball. He didn't make smart decisions and the whole midfield was stupid about who was up and who was back. Keita was behind play and chasing the ball at times.

He still played some good football. I'm not being overly critical. I think it's also that there isn't near the same creativity on that side in general, and Keita was more often working with Robbo and jota, while the other sides triangle involves Salah and Trent.

Frogfish likes this.
  4. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

He played well and that was an exquisite assist for Mo's goal. You'd no doubt play our strongest team into the ground and then moan about injuries.

FreshRed likes this.
  5. Frogfish

He did what he had to do and what he was in the team to do. It was a Gini-esque performance with a few more dribbles. If that was Gini then people would be saying what a good, solid, game he had.

With Robbo attacking at will we needed solidity on that side and that's what Keita gave us. The base for Robbo to attack. It was a 7/10 performance all night long.

6. Frogfish

Alisson 6 - Virtually nothing to do and I can't blame him for the goals.
    Trent 7 - His runs from/into midfield, and his interactions with Mo on the right, caused them problems all night. He was supposed to be covered by the defence. Clearly tired for the last 15 mins.

Matip 7.5 - Had a good game and his runs into midfield and sharp passing were a key element in shredding their midfield. However, loses half a point for their first goal. Watching Rio Ferdinand's analysis he said if any CB was to blame for that goal then it was Matip, he was clearly out of position and Gomez had no option but to hold his ground, if he moved forward it was an easy pass for Diaz(?) to make around him, move left or right and it was the same. However he also said that would be nitpicking as basically it was just a great move by Milan.

Gomez 7 - I thought he had a very good game. Made few errors and generally covered well.
    Robbo 8 - Excellent running all night up and down that wing. Indefatigable. Some of his crosses weren't the best though, he seems to have gone off the boil in that regard.
    Fabinho 7.5 - Bar the first goal he was in the right place at the right time destroying their forward momentum (difficult to call them attacks). I thought the whole midfield worked really well together.
    Hendo 8.5 MotM - Had a very good game, spreading the ball around and filling in for TAA when he went forward. Back to his best and what a goal !
    Keita 7 - As I said above, a Gini-esque performance and an integral part of an excellent midfield performance, the rock that enabled Robbo to get forward at will.
    Salah 8 - Excellent game all round again and could have been a 9 bar the missed pen. Loved his determination to cover for Trent, running back at full pelt to drop into the RB slot.
    Jota 6 - Steady but no cigar.
    Origi 7 - That was an amazing assist to Mo and if it had been anyone else the forum would be raving about it. Did an excellent job all night.

Ox. 5
    Thiago 6
    Milner 7 - clever play to wind the clock down
    Jones 6 - started off like a house on fire but could have done much better, especially when we broke 3 on 2 and should have put the game to bed right there and then.

Klopp 8.5 - this was a wonderful team performance just blighted by the two lapses in concentration and our now regular prolificacy. 3 points so he got the selection right and rested a few players for Palace at the beginning of this crucifying 6 games in 17 days or whatever it is.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Squiggles and Judge Jules like this.
  7. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

Jones did ok when he came on. He needs to lift his head up though when he plays, he'll never push on otherwise. Ox was standard awful, there was a good player in there but that seems long gone. Maybe its confidence, or injuries taking their toll, the best he/we can hope is he stays fits and calms back down into a normal playing pattern, he might then contribute.

Mane again was typical too, busy, a threat and totally erratic. If he had lost his pace it would be typical age regression, but he hasn't, it's his decision making thats gone to pot. Salah on the other hand has cut out all of the old frustrations and is fully aware of his team mates, he's upped a tier this season, a much more rounded World Class threat.

Hendo and Fabinho look a brilliant partnership. One goes for the opponent, the other lurks for the loose ball, just brilliant.

Stevesquash likes this.
  8. Frogfish

Milan coach Stefano Pioli, talking to Sky Italia: “Liverpool played a great game especially in the first 25 minutes. Then we overturned it, the regret is the two goals conceded in the second half, also due to our mistakes. It was a game that will make us grow a lot in terms of intensity and quality.
    "The team was motivated, we expected a strong start from our opponents but we were too static. The environment, the game, the quality of the opponent created some difficulties for us. We go home with the awareness that the team can grow and that the Champions League level is really high, we will have to try even harder.
    "They pressed very hard and we struggled a bit with the ball early on. The thing we regret is that besides the undeniable quality of Liverpool, we know how to do better and we will work to do better. Usually we are much more careful, we could have defended better ."

mark1975 and iseered like this.
  9. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

We saw the 19/20 season Origi last night, powerful and purposeful movement off the ball, aggressive and sharp pressing but most of all DESIRE to be involved in the game. If this is Klopp getting a reaction, then that is fantastic. He is an asset to the team when he plays like this and takes pressure off the others. Please keep up this momentum Divvy!

FreshRed, mark1975, Frogfish and 5 others like this.
  10. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

11. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

The game reminded me of the early Klopp era, before we signed VVD.

You could see all the potential, we can score for fun, the game plan was clear and we could execute it for large periods. However, we would frequently suffer because of poor game management and lack of concentration.

All of that was true last night. We got carried away under the lights, with the intense press and our territorial dominance, and left ourselves exposed at a period of the game we should be keeping the ball and seeing out the half. In many ways its one of our strongest performances in ages, but the lapses certainly were reminiscent of a previous era. Just grateful we can bring on VVD and all of those concerns completely evaporate.

I'm not pitching the blame at the CBs of Matip and Gomez. The attacking balance of the the fullbacks and the midfield got too gung-ho, which was the main cause of the Milan goals, IMO. I understand why... For the opening forty minutes it felt like we were playing a league one side, rather than AC Milan, but it's important for the players to not get into way of thinking on the pitch.

It all made for a great game.

iseered, peekay, momoWASboss and 2 others like this.
  12. Brizzle

Brizzle Very Well-Known Member

Great point - there were times late in the second half where we were attacking with an intensity that would make you think we were the ones trailing and in need of a goal. The attacking performance was very good, could be more clinical but the intent was fantastic. Let's bang in a few against Palace now!

Squiggles likes this.
  13. Donavan Ried

Donavan Ried Alive and still kicking, Just Member

What was it that you wrote earlier..? ah yes. "1 & 2 are not related in this case."
    The fact that you don't really remember Keita doing it against Calibria and Kjaer has nothing to do with how Mane performed

Make as many exsuses as you wish Mane is out of sorts. Why do you think so many hear as been wanting Jota to start in games instead of Mane. Look at last season... Half the goals Salah scored. That by itself does not say much, but when you add it to his overall play.... Ok could be the effects of Long Covid

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison
    2017/18 Salah 32 Mane 10 premier League goals (Salah's first season)
    2018/19 Salah 22 Mane 22
    2019/20 Salah 19 Mane 18
    2020/21 Salah 22 Mane 11

It is not only about the goals. It is about the time now wants to take those chances. The way that he was taking players in the wide areas and going pass them, and the fact that he does not seem to be able to do that now...

Not saying that I want rid of Mane. What I am saying is that we need ro reconise that there is a problem there and get some quality cover in.

Insult in people is never a good way to put accross your points. Just makes me want to engage less with you

14. Donavan Ried

Donavan Ried Alive and still kicking, Just Member

No, I just feel he offers very little these day and would have given that oppertunity to some one else

15. Ukrainian by marriage

Ukrainian by marriage Very Active Member

Milner 8 - clever play to boot one of their players in the midriff.

FreshRed, Frogfish and momoWASboss like this.
  16. binomial

binomial Very Active Member

He had a tough start at the beginning did Pioli, also with their fans having managed Inter soon before (& failing).

But I think he's won them over now, he's builiding a very good side there...very good season last year and started this 1 like they finished last.

He's right we made it very tough for them and it's far from what they're used to in the Italian league where they always sit off and allow the other team a share of the possession.

17. Hyena

Hyena Well-Known Member

I didn't see the whole match, but was anyone else impressed by Rafael Leao?

Silky feet but also pretty good eye for a pass it seems

18. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

2 things :

I’ve watched every game this season on my new TV in a specific  room in the new house - I can’t remember what games I watched on it last season - but it would have been from the end of March, so I’m pretty confident I’ve not seen them lose on it.

I refuse to post in the match thread during the game.

Up at 5am for this one.

Thank me later.

I’ll do my best to counter Dreamies jinxy shit at the weekend - still think we should probably just sacrifice him.

darkstarexodus and momoWASboss like this.
  19. Frogfish

All part of his plan.

20. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

Like who? Jones has been in poor form, as has Ox, Minamino is a bad fit. There's obviously a case that Divock has had loads of chances, but at least he has shown on occasion that he can look unplayable and he has bags of quality, he just lacks the right application. But I don't think you can really moan after that sort of performance, a win and the fact that there's not much else on the bench that would make a more significant impact.

I'm still willing him to do well, because he can be a top player when he wants to be, but this really is last chance saloon, he's been a fortunate beneficiary of our recent poor transfer policy, otherwise we could easily have bought someone and kicked him out the club. As it is he's here, he has a chance, so get behind him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.